[Poll] Which Is Your Favorite Map?

Bill Tarling

Which Map Do You Like The Best?  

273 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can find a reason for every map to like the most but in the end I went with Pleasant Valley, for all the crazy intense moments back in v200.

But TWM could have been my choice too, I haven't explored all yet because all my tries on starting out in TWM Stalker failed after a few days, either I ran out of wood and froze to death or Fluffy got dinner. But from what I've seen so far, the level design is awesome with climbing summits and interconnected caves, I wished the older maps would get some "TWM-revamp" in a future update ;)

Definitely Timberwolf Mountain -- only one man-made structure (so far) other than wreckage, an expanse of up & down terrain to explore, and the mystery that starts with Landing Gear and ends with an heroic push to -- well, no spoilers here! I've only played it in Pilgrim so far but can't wait to get back there in Voyageur (should be happening soon!)

Timberwolf Mountain is by far my favourite map.

This map is all I could have dreamed for the game, with a travelling goal that really needs preparation to achieve. And it's also offering the best challenging map to start a new game.

I remember, back in the early days, I wished a long distance journey in the wild: and this is it ^^

And the hut actually really belongs to the world, without loading screen ! yeah!

Def. Mystery Lake.

Because I have been with the game since it was initially released on steam back in 2014. So the nostalgia kicks in whenever I play on it.

Also because the map has some interesting structures and overall a really nice looking landscape. It's familiar to me as I am in the wilderness IRL too so y'know. It's cool.

Aswell as the gameplay features the map has. It's got all you need.

Animals, shelter, food, clothing, workbenches and all. Except for the forge but you can easily find arrows and keep using those arrowheads. That is until saplings become an issue.

That's really why I love ML.

I voted Pleasant Valley. It's by far the map I've spent the most time on and I have the easiest time surviving.

However, I always start my game on Mystery Lake to get my footing and Timberwolf Mountain is by far the most beautiful map. Plus, Timberwolf Mountain is the only map with a clear narrative element woven throughout that makes it that much fun to explore. All three maps are really quite excellent.

Coastal Highway and Desolation Point... meh. I'd rather be in the wilds :)

Mystery lake has just about everything except for size. I just wish it was bigger and more to it. I do like PV though for the wider open spaces and well TM also for the wide open spaces, I just don't like the cliffs of death and the concentration of wildlife of course is too high. DP is sort of a gamey map and well I like it for its utility I dislike it the most and I have mixed feelings about Coastal highway. I like the expanse of it as well and the fact that you can see most of it from any point, very unique however I don't like the concentration of wildlife as it is too strong.

• 3 weeks later...

Crumbling Highway

Oh you meant map as in map map, not just a map but a real map :? .... :D .... :lol: ....

No but really the Crumbling Highway part, i don't know it just has something, the lone wolf, the layout, it seems so real, i did also like the part in the ravine where you have to walk across the train bridge, also felt so real compared to many other places, i felt really all by myself and one wrong move could mean death, either by falling to my doom or freezing to death, transition maps could do with a little more size, to make travelling from one area to the other a tad bit harder than it is now.

My most favourite main map would be Mystery Lake, probably because i started in that area the first time i ever seriously played this game, and i remember i saw somewhere on the forums that you could only select the regions you had unlocked way back when the game preview was first released on xbox, which was weird because i had access to all three maps right from the getgo.

I was so fond of that area i refused to go anywhere else untill i died, 103 days in and i still didn't die so i bought myself an Xbox and this game because i bought this game first on my friend his console, so yeah i purchased it twice already xD.

I like the expanse of it as well and the fact that you can see most of it from any point, very unique however I don't like the concentration of wildlife as it is too strong.

Exactly!

The map i like the least is (if i may) Desolation point, it just seems so packed together, makes me think of how Falllout 3 had everything spread out nicely and then Fallout New Vegas (yes, different devs, i know) had everything packed together and almost nobody like it that way, same goes for Coastal Highway, too much too close together, could do with a bit more spacing in between.

And why is there an out of place church in ah nevermind this topic is about favourite maps right not about least favourite so i'll stop writing right about... now.

• 1 month later...

Mystery Lake, definitely.

I noticed that as I went on exploring through the other maps, that the buildings and the way everything was laid out was so stylistically different. There was much more definition in the houses and everything was decayed and ruined. There's none of that in Mystery Lake. It doesn't look completely ransacked, like the people there left in a hurry or years ago. There aren't any chairs thrown about or burned down buildings every other time you look.

In Mystery Lake, the style of the buildings is so simple, too. It suits the whole feel of the game so much better. I love being able to look around and see the entire space without having to navigate through complex rooms full of empty children's toys, or trashed kitchens without purpose. Everything in Mystery Lake was about efficiency, with space for comfort for people who wanted it. 

Granted, there are some buildings in other maps that remind me strongly of this simple style, like the radio control hut in Pleasant Valley, or the lighthouse in Desolation Point. It gets me wondering about whether Mystery Lake was the only map around for a long enough time for their style to change when they made other ones, or that perhaps that style is unique to a specific one of their devs.

I love all the maps and each has it's own appeal. But ML is still my favorite. Maybe it's nostalgia as I've been playing TLD since way before CH was added.

I haven't spend much time on TWM though and I love what I've seen there, so I may change my mind.

Voted for TWM, but struggled as I really like ML. 

The single thing that made me chose TWM was that it demands planning to be efficient. Is not a map just to explore, you need to know what you are doing or you risk either a useless hike or get yourself in real troubles...

• 3 weeks later...

I voted PV because the farmhouse is just so convenient... Stove, workbench and bed all in one location. That and it's really the only map where I've learned how to completely avoid wolves (for the most part).

Desolation Point is a close second because it's so much fun to explore. :-)

The only one I actually dislike is Coastal Highway - because there's just so much stuff there that there doesn't seem to be any struggle to survive. For that reason, I voted Timberwolf. I don't know the map well, and it's genuinely difficult to get going there when starting from scratch. I also like that the house is still considered to be "outside", forcing you to manage temperature at night - I think the game would benefit from more of the buildings in other maps having this characteristic.

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite is Mistery Lake with the Camp Office. An exciting map to explore! The others are just OK too; Pleasant Valley can be dangerous when a fog catches you late afternoon, Coastal Highway with the islands and many little "hidden" settlements, Timberwolf Mountain being the biggest challenge to walk around, and Desolation Point the rigid industrial corner. (Latter could add a lot to the "story" with a much more complex abandoned mine.)

Go on guys! :)

Archived