[Poll] Which Is Your Favorite Map?

Bill Tarling

Which Map Do You Like The Best?  

273 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Crumbling Highway is sick! You dont have to be constantly in fear of getting mauled by wildlife. Plus its right between desolation point and coastal highway (two of the better maps as far as supplies). Plenty of hunting and vegetation. Its a solid place for a short stay on a long journey

EDIT: Plus that basement under the burnt house is sick

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, NorseRaven99 said:

I'm surprised there wasn't an option for Forlorn Muskeg. It's not my personal favorite (mine's Coastal Highway) but I've heard so much feedback on how FM is a lot of people's favorite, especially because they love the challenge.

This poll was created early last year, long before the FM was released. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Forlorn Muskeg: My main residence is in Mystery Lake (the camp office) because I like to live close to water and the woods, and I very much enjoy sitting at the lake shore close to the office by dawn. 

But my favorite map is forlorn muskeg. It's raw and inhospitable conditions are the perfect ground to seed my little adventures. Actually I've spend several days out there (stalker level; I'm still a rookie). After 8 days "out" you feel the strong urge to get back to where it's more cozy and comfortable. So going back to Mystery Lake is always like coming home.

Forlorn Muskeg is far more challenging than any other region in The Long Dark. I really love that map, thanks for implementing...

On 2/24/2017 at 10:43 AM, michael_martin said:

Crumbling Highway is sick! You dont have to be constantly in fear of getting mauled by wildlife. Plus its right between desolation point and coastal highway (two of the better maps as far as supplies). Plenty of hunting and vegetation. Its a solid place for a short stay on a long journey

You're surrounded by bears and wolves; not really sure how that could be beneficial, especially during the early game when you probably have no rifle or bow ammunition

1 hour ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

You're surrounded by bears and wolves; not really sure how that could be beneficial, especially during the early game when you probably have no rifle or bow ammunition

Even on stalker, every time I've spawned on desolation point there is a bow at Katie's corner and a rifle in Hibernia...

So if you have no bow or rifle, its kinda your own fault

20 minutes ago, michael_martin said:

Even on stalker, every time I've spawned on desolation point there is a bow at Katie's corner and a rifle in Hibernia...

So if you have no bow or rifle, its kinda your own fault

Not everyone starts lucky (I started at Desolation Point and only found the rifle when I went to Coastal highway) ,and everything is randomized. In my current playthrough I did not go to Katie's Corner, so I do not have a bow. Perhaps it's because I'm not the best player, or perhaps it's because we all play the game differently.

My point is that ammo is not common and that it is scarce. You can't start in one region and expect to have more than 10 bullets. Crumbling Highway is great to hunt wolf, but the problems outweigh the benefits in terms of animals to human ratio.

5 minutes ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

Not everyone starts lucky (I started at Desolation Point and only found the rifle when I went to Coastal highway)

If you check in Hibernia, there's almost always a rifle behind boxes in the processing area, or up along the top of the processing area. In the large room with the bones, there's a large rust colored pipe you can crawl through to get to the second level, when you get to the top there's some turned over boats, backpack, ammo, sometimes a gun. If not there its definitely behind the boxes I've played DP about 6 times and its been there every time... its worth a try

Not trying to debate you or anything, just saying I'd check in those locations. Its been the opposite for me, I've never been able to find a gun at CH...except maybe once in the forestry lookout

My favourite map is Desolation point, It wasn't but one day I was sharpening my hatchet (in a previous version) and when you get to 100% they switch the button from sharpening to recycle (I dont know wich word they use in english version, in spanish is "recoger") and I destroy my presious hatchet (that is the most important tool for me), without it I became useless man, as i couldn't find it I have to forge one, the only place where you can forge something was In desolation point (now we have FM), since then DP its my favourite map, tools and food, is not to much to see but everything is there.

Interesting that DP got the fewest votes...I guess I can understand that. It has some of the most interesting buildings in the game (stone church, lighthouse, whale processing), but it doesn't really have any good base or place I have ever felt comfortable calling home.

I would have voted for Forlorn Muskeg if it was listed. I so wish that map was larger, twice, or even three times the size .... you get the most rugged, nature hardened survivalist feeling to your character after he / she has spent a decent amount of time there. If there are ever going to be map expansions later on .... I really hope we get a lot more of that place!

When I voted a while ago I picked TWM, but i think PV is really my favorite, it is rugged and desolate, but there is just enough man made stuff hanging around to make exploring interesting. And the map is huge, its size lends to an overall feeling of uncertainty and vulnerability.

Sam

• 1 month later...

i really like desolation point since all of the viable "homes" in that area are close to the shore, but coastal highway has so much more wildlife that i usually end up there.

i setup 3 homes 1st and primary is quincy quonset gas station as it has lots of storage and more importantly workbench and fire barrel. the 2nd is Misanthropes house which is used for gathering sticks in relative safety and convenient lodging when hunting the bear. the last is jackrabbit island where i setup snares and use as lodging when hunting deer or beachcombing (note: there are also rabbits between misanthropes house and jackrabbit island so if you want to multitask and beachcomb while setting up snares/harvesting corpses that is a good area to do so).

I voted Mystery Lake. That's where I first started the game and had such a pleasurable experience fishing and trapping rabbits. After long sessions of exploring and nearly succumbing to the elements, it was the biggest feeling of relief to find my way back to that Camp Office where I could go inside, warm up and cook some fish. :)

A while back I voted Mystery Lake. Now that I'm more seasoned I think it's really tough to choose. I've learned to love all the maps.

If I could re-vote I think I'm torn between Mystery Lake which has the most beautiful forests in this game and Desolation Point which has some of the best architecture and atmosphere in its buildings. I just don't like wolves at the door :P

Archived