Save game location

macxn

Well, if it's just because you find it hard to believe there's no save games stored on the hard drive, I can tell you beyond any doubt that the save games are stored locally. No you don't have to wonder anymore :)

PS if you still want to know the location, try using the search function in the top right corner. There are multiple posts that list the exact location on both PC and MAC.

On PC, zip the save games directory for the game for Steam:

C:\Users\yourcomputername\AppData\LocalLow\Hinterland\The Long Dark\save001 through save 005

For Mac, the game save files from:

/Users/REPLACEWITHYOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/Hinterland/The Long Dark/

Where REPLACEWITHYOURUSERNAME should be the username for the mac in question.

or also check

Changed location due to FOR MAC OS X El Capitan systems:

v.284 updates the Mac version of The Long Dark, to restore save files not found after upgrading to El Capitan.

Saves will now be located here for Mac players:

/users/username/.local/share/Hinterland/TheLongDark

v.284 will automatically restore old saves from:

/users/username/Library/Application Support/Hinterland/The Long Dark

/users/username/Library/Application Support/unity.Hinterland.The Long Dark

Note that v.284 will not overwrite or delete any data. If El Capitan users have created new saves, manually check the above two paths and copy the contents to the new save location: (/users/username/.local/share/Hinterland/TheLongDark).

PLEASE NOTE: restoring an previous save from a backup copy (e.g. after a death) may invalidate the run from the Steam leaderboards

PS if you still want to know the location, try using the search function in the top right corner. There are multiple posts that list the exact location on both PC and MAC.

Yeah, I saw some of them. Didn't help though because I can't see any of the saves in the directory they're supposed to be in.

On PC, zip the save games directory for the game for Steam:

C:\Users\yourcomputername\AppData\LocalLow\Hinterland\The Long Dark\save001 through save 005

I tried checking, but there's nothing there? It's just a completely empty folder even though I have four saves.

I have mentioned it before, with the new multiple save system something weird is happening with the save files.

Even if you clean the save folder you will not lose your save files.

If you restore your save files they will not be restored.

There is a hidden backup somewhere.

I have mentioned it before, with the new multiple save system something weird is happening with the save files.

Even if you clean the save folder you will not lose your save files.

If you restore your save files they will not be restored.

There is a hidden backup somewhere.

The saves are now stored in [username]\AppData\Local\Hinterland\TheLongDark (windows)

The first time you launched the game, your saves were probably copied from LocalLow to Local.

Yes, save locations have changed. The location FINDarkside indicated should be correct. Here's a full list for each OS:

Windows: c:\users\username\AppData\Local\Hinterland\TheLongDark

OSX: /users/username/.local/share/Hinterland/TheLongDark

Linux: /home/username/.local/share/Hinterland/TheLongDark

• 3 months later...

Just to clarify any confusion in the Mac OS X :

Username = home folder name. Its icon looks like this: 

Any user folder with this icon is the currently active user (on those Macs set up with multiple users).

On December 27, 2015 at 1:32 PM, bethany said:

Yes, save locations have changed. The location FINDarkside indicated should be correct. Here's a full list for each OS:

Windows: c:\users\username\AppData\Local\Hinterland\TheLongDark

OSX: /users/username/.local/share/Hinterland/TheLongDark

Linux: /home/username/.local/share/Hinterland/TheLongDark

Is it possible to pin this message so we can look it up quickly in the future? Or if it is already pinned, I need to check for it! B|

• 1 year later...

Archived