Change torches?

Hotzn

As things are, torches seem overpowered to me. You can light a fire in a couple of minutes, withdraw a torch and have light as well as animal defense, basically without limits. One might also note that it is a bit unrealistic to be able to light a torch with a match in a couple of seconds if that torch consists of nothing but a piece of wood that was once withdrawn from a fire. Especially at -20°C.

The devs once said they wanted the decision to move from one map to another to be more meaningful, and the mechanism to achieve this was that you had to use kerosene, a flare or matches - all valuable resources at the time - to get through the mines. Now with endless torches, the decision to move from one map to another has no meaning.

For the reasons stated above, I would like to see the possibility to just draw a torch from the fire to be removed again or - as an alternative - that not a torch but some inferior item would be drawn from the fire, like a "burning stick" or something like that. That would burn for a short while and might be used to transfer fire into a house or maybe - maybe - swing it at a wolf. But then it would just go out and become a charred piece of wood. A torch on the other hand would have to be made from wood, cloth and kerosene like in the days of old. For counterbalance, kerosene could be made a tad more abundant if one so wishes, for example by introducing some of it to the abandoned cars' tanks.

+1 to change torches extracted from campfires/stoves into burning sticks with inferior stats

+1 to harvesting kerosene (though technically it would be gasoline or diesel) from the gas tanks of vehicles (either by siphoning with a hose or cutting a hole in the gas tank with a knife)

+1

I agree with Hotzn that a differentiation between torches (crafted with kerosine, current burning times) and burning sticks (pulled out of fires, but with a much shorter duration & weaker light emission than torches) would benefit the gameplay.

In my opinion, burning sticks should only make it possible to carry a magni-lens fire into a house, nothing else. They shouldn't scare away animals or emit enough light to cross mines.

Archived