Reason to keep the blades sharp - Speed!

jolynsbass

Hi, loving the .298/.301 update! Whetstone and rifle maintenance is cool! I have a suggestion for increasing the urgency/necessity of using whetstones to keep the condition/sharpness of the knives/hatchets high:

A sharp blade is more effective/efficient at cutting/chopping/slicing/harvesting/ etc. so 100% condition = current in-game speed (e.g. 45 min for a small cedar log)

A dull blade is less effective/efficient, so adds some time per every 10%(or other) degradation of sharpness:

@90% 50 min for same log (45 + 5)

@80% 55 min (45 + 10)

@70% 60 min (45 + 15) ,etc.

or perhaps it adds a percentage to the time directly related to the "dullness" of the blade.

@90% +4.5 min (+10% of normal task time) = 49.5min

@80% +9 min (+20% of normal task time) = 54 min

... @50 +22.5 min (+50% etc.) = 67.5 min

So, when finding a knife or hatchet (especially your first one) with a low sharpness, you can still use it, but you are highly motivated to sharpen it as soon as possible (to save precious calories/heat while chopping/skinning), and to keep it maintained in a good condition for maximum efficiency.

Harvesting skins/meat could be similar, a +% of time related to the % sharpness would be awesome - as you use the knife/axe, it requires regular maintenance to keep you from becoming inefficient.

Hi, loving the .298/.301 update! Whetstone and rifle maintenance is cool! I have a suggestion for increasing the urgency/necessity of using whetstones to keep the condition/sharpness of the knives/hatchets high:

A sharp blade is more effective/efficient at cutting/chopping/slicing/harvesting/ etc. so 100% condition = current in-game speed (e.g. 45 min for a small cedar log)

A dull blade is less effective/efficient, so adds some time per every 10%(or other) degradation of sharpness:

@90% 50 min for same log (45 + 5)

@80% 55 min (45 + 10)

@70% 60 min (45 + 15) ,etc.

or perhaps it adds a percentage to the time directly related to the "dullness" of the blade.

@90% +4.5 min (+10% of normal task time) = 49.5min

@80% +9 min (+20% of normal task time) = 54 min

... @50 +22.5 min (+50% etc.) = 67.5 min

So, when finding a knife or hatchet (especially your first one) with a low sharpness, you can still use it, but you are highly motivated to sharpen it as soon as possible (to save precious calories/heat while chopping/skinning), and to keep it maintained in a good condition for maximum efficiency.

Harvesting skins/meat could be similar, a +% of time related to the % sharpness would be awesome - as you use the knife/axe, it requires regular maintenance to keep you from becoming inefficient.

I support this idea.

I also like the idea. However, it makes things easier over time (once you have found the whetstone and everything is sharpened) and therefore shares the weakness of every progression mechanic already in the game (at least to all those who like a challenge).

Great suggestion, exeexe - dull blades are more dangerous to the user, too.

I also think certain activities/abuses should dull the blades at a different rate. Use an axe or Knife for opening up a frozen fishing hole? come away with 20% less sharpness... Use a hunting knife to cut up frozen meat/skins? double the normal wear...

Hotzn,

I don't see how it would make things easier over time - keeping your stuff maintained would result in the *same* amount of time used for tasks as currently implemented, while *not* maintaining them would lead to increased time to accomplish the same task, wasting calories/heat/daylight, etc. I don't see how that makes things easier. (Or are you just referring to the now-current implementation of whetstone, instead of "fixing" with scrap metal and fir wood?)

Great suggestion, exeexe - dull blades are more dangerous to the user, too.

I also think certain activities/abuses should dull the blades at a different rate. Use an axe or Knife for opening up a frozen fishing hole? come away with 20% less sharpness... Use a hunting knife to cut up frozen meat/skins? double the normal wear...

Hotzn,

I don't see how it would make things easier over time - keeping your stuff maintained would result in the *same* amount of time used for tasks as currently implemented, while *not* maintaining them would lead to increased time to accomplish the same task, wasting calories/heat/daylight, etc. I don't see how that makes things easier. (Or are you just referring to the now-current implementation of whetstone, instead of "fixing" with scrap metal and fir wood?)

First things first, +1 to your suggestion that different uses should wear down a knife at different rates.

Concerning your question: Let's presume you found the knife in ok condition, let's say 70-80%, and haven't found the whetstone yet. After some time, you would find the whetstone and sharpen the knife to top condition. From then on, you would benefit from the better condition and things would get a little easier for you. It is similar with clothes - you start off with basic clothes and over time improve them. With better clothes, you can spend more time outside and accomplish more during a single day. This also makes things easier for you. Raise your firestarting skill and fail less at starting fires - gain time and resources in the process, things get easier. I would call all these mechanisms progressive, as some value becomes better after some time and makes the game easier for you. As a consequence, the game is challenging during the first few days of a run and then - at what we call mid-game - becomes too easy.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of progressions is basically good, but if there are too many progressions in the game it needs a countermechanic - difficulty needs to progress as well. This is currently lacking in the game, a mild exception being that wolves take a little time before spawning on the lower difficulty levels. So I am only against more progression mechanics as long as the difficulty does not progress as a countermechanic.

I understand your point of view from a game-play perspective, but - realistically speaking - why would it get harder to survive (weather-, wildlife- and basic-needs-wise), just because you're better equipped? The game is SUPPOSED to become easier, the better you get at it.

The only way of a difficulty progression I would find acceptable, is if there were areas other than the default starting area (let's say ML) that were significantly harder to survive in. In a realistic way, please. That way one could choose to go there for more of a challenge (and maybe a reward in the shape of rare loot or maybe achievements), but people who like things more realistic aren't slapped with some random punishment only because they're getting too good at the game / too well-equipped.

Mhmm, maybe one other acceptable way would be if the game begins in late fall/early winter and the climate gets harsher... to a point and then it would have to get milder again after a while.

Archived