How to survive in Timberwolf Mountain [spoilers]

Erich

Hi ,died many times to find out.Survival tips,spoilers and how to survive in Timberwolf Mountains.

1.Find the lake,there are the only two manmade shelters in the map,a fishing hut and the Mountainers Hut.

2.If you find a river,follow it,it leads to the lake.Take so many sticks and wood as possible.Both buildings are open,the protection against cold is very low,but anyway is the Mountainers hut the only base point.

3.Arrived !Loot the fishing hut and the Mountainers hut.There is a knife and a hatched if your lucky (the hatchet can also not spawn there but at a frozen corpse somewhere) ,a hacksaw (the only thing that can open cargo crates,located by wreck pieces of the plane).Store everything not necesary in the hatch and get out for some cat tail stalks and sticks.Survive the first night with the stocked wood,boil some water.

4.Dont use the reclaimed wood from the furnitures as fuel!There are rabbits on the lake,so traping them and fishing is one of the few alternative for surviving in there longtherm (some reclaimed wood is also in the plane wreck).I preffer to not taking the rope from the hut,it is too heavy and usefull only to set when go down,so in the first trips its useless.When you find a rock,where you want to place it that will speed up ,then take it from home and set it.The cargo crate stuff can easily overweight you even without the rope.

5.In the morning,on a nice clear day go to the doors,open in,and look up,yes this is the wreck on the top of the mountain where you will go.Look to the fishing hut,go to the cliffs behind the hut,there is a rope that leads to some cargo crates (have the hack-saw) loot it,and safelly return with your loot.The hill have some levels that are conected with the rope,find these ropes,go up,loot some cargo crates and try to return safe home.

6.Climbing - after you climb a rope,and get a sprained ankle or wrist,this means a GREAT PROBLEM.You can not climb down and you also can not continue to another rope.Use Rose-hip tea or Painkillers.If you have several sprained ankles/wrist and you have a good TEOTWAWKI-stockpile of wood,than heal it all at once with a sleep,(wrist 2 hours,ankles 4 hours).If night,or a blizzard,or a blizzard in the night will come,without wood and the premium clothing that are only on the top means a great problem/death.Dont climb with lesser than a half stamina or exhausted,you will fall and injured and you know what that means.When you climb the rope and you see the white dot,it means that they are ledges on the sides.Stop climbing,look on the sides,and click on the ledge.There you can rest and regain stamina,before climbing again.

7.After looting cargo crates,go home,rest,stock unnecesary items.Overweight means death when you will make your way to the top of the hill.There is the rifle,quality tools,signal pistol,ammunition,premium clothing etc. ,so make it in steps,to bring back so much as possible .

8.Wolfs - the rifle is on the top,this means in the first days you have to fight Fluffys only with flares/torches.Dont get into a fight,your poor clothing will be torn (Option: fight nacked a wolf+deer combo at the lake with a knife if you have medicaments/bandages)

9.When you climb up to the Deer Clearing,there is a cave that you must pass.Minimum 2-3 torches.

10.Then is there a very high rope,that cannot be done even with full stamina in one tripp.Rest on the halfway ledges.

11.When you are going to the top,carry always 15-20 matches or more.I had 12,and before the final rope i froze to death,too exhausted to climb,too freezing to sleep...always take a bedroll and wood/sticks

12.On the top -from the wreck you can see your house on the lake :) take all stuff that you can carry,your willdest looting dreams will be fullfiled.

13.On the way to the top you will find some deer carcasses.They was shot by an arrow,take the broken arrow from them.

Sorry for my english.Hope it will help.This map is so hard ,and i like it.Diyng and knowing,no,there is not a house that will be behind the next stone that will save me.Great work devs :) this is realy challenging survival and i like it :)

Yeah, there are definitely other rifle spawn points in the lower regions of the map as well. I found one next to a corpse at the top of a hill not far from the transition area to Pleasant valley.

But ammunition is really extremely scarce - only found three arrowheads and one bullet on the whole map before I reached the plane. Really love this new area! ;)

Forgive me Bethany that i have not includet the word spoiler in the name of the post and thanks for fixing that.

Another tip -the skins,guts,and other cureable stuff will dry in the Mountainers Hut,no need to put these inside a cave.I think without the risky way in the first days to the top the only way to survive is to craft the bow soon as posible and Robin Hood archery skill level with the one or two arrows that you can find in the hut.To the lake can come a bear (when go out from the Hut go to the right side of the lake).

Wow a rifle !Thanks for sharing.On the top i found 2 rifles and 35 bullets,all in one cargo conteiner.

If you have some other tips ,please share it too :)

i have made it as high as the engine near Andre's Peak. i have searched every inch of the mountain side there and can not find any to go higher. even had the wife sit closer to the tv and help. nothing. did find one place that looked liks there should be a rope, but if there is, it is missing. so far, i have found 2 engines, a wing, what looks to be the nose gear, and what looks like it may be part of the vertical stablizer (judging from the red color). i cant see the fuselage, even with my nose to the, but the wife says she can. but no matter what i do, i cant get to it. can someone please assist?

i have made it as high as the engine near Andre's Peak. i have searched every inch of the mountain side there and can not find any to go higher. even had the wife sit closer to the tv and help. nothing. did find one place that looked liks there should be a rope, but if there is, it is missing. so far, i have found 2 engines, a wing, what looks to be the nose gear, and what looks like it may be part of the vertical stablizer (judging from the red color). i cant see the fuselage, even with my nose to the, but the wife says she can. but no matter what i do, i cant get to it. can someone please assist?

the rope ways change in every run,in this case,climb down to the lowest level,if you went up behind the fishing hut,then go more around the cliffs,there is the another rope and your way to the top.

Wow a rifle !Thanks for sharing.On the top i found 2 rifles and 35 bullets,all in one cargo conteiner.

If you have some other tips ,please share it too :)

I think I have some tips for people who search a difficult experience and try to start a new game in TWM:

Don't try to make permanent camp in the Crystal lake cabin before you've found and/or crafted some good clothes and gained a temperature bonus of at least +10°C. The temperatures inside that hut sometimes drop so low even during day that you'll have to keep a fire going at least 16 hours per day if you're wearing starting clothes.

Which isn't completely impossible of course, but chopping wood 8 hours per day is really tiresome and not worth it at all. I personally ended up travelling a whole lot between the echo chasm cave (the long subterranean cave between echo chasm and the engine) and the Crystal lake cabin during my first 15-20 days. Spent almost every night inside the cave (where you can survive the night without a fire in starting clothes) and only visited the lake cabin to loot it and store fresh guts, pelts and saplings there at first.

Apart from that I explored the regions close to the cabin and the cave, looking especially for cargo containers, premade frozen deer carcasses and living deer that I could chase into wolves (torch method). Collecting food and deerskin without freezing definitely was my top priority during these first days. Also chopped down pretty much wood and stored some fuel reserves inside the lake cabin, sometimes even at the expense of health if that seemed save. I also hand-fought the wolf in the small echo chasm valley close to my home cave about five times to both secure the area and collect some wolf pelts early on.

Only when my first couple of saplings and three deerskins had dried (and I had collected some decent fuel reserves in the meantime) I moved on to the crystal lake hut permanently. Crafted a bow immediately, hunted a bear and lived off its meat while I crafted some deerskin pants and rabbit mitts. After I had gained some better clothing staying inside the stone cabin at night was incredibly much easier. Six to eight hours of fire per night usually were enough to prevent me from freezing at that time, I think. Fully equipped with 100% best quality clothes in each slot you don't need a fire at all, btw.^^

Anyway, I now started to make some longer exploration trips but nevertheless still continued to play in a rather conservative way until I had also crafted deerskin boots and a wolfskin coat. Only then did I start to climb and realign ropes, seek every last cargo container, explore all remote areas of the map and ultimately head for the plain wreck.

In other words my best advice is probably:

Don't enter TWM without good clothes unless you want to be challenged. ;)

And if you seek a challenge and start a game there (which is really GREAT fun! :D ), act thoughtfully and always keep in mind your priorities. Which will definitely be A) not to die of the cold, B) to find a hacksaw and hatchet as soon as possible and C) to improve your clothing as fast as possible.

The echo chasm cave (NOT the small one called "chasm cave" but the long subterranean one that leads to the engine!) makes a great base if you only have starting clothes. Don't bother with chopping wood 24/7 in order to survive inside the Crystal lake cabin. At least not until you've collected some crafting materials. ^^

Oh, and better get familiar with the thought to look on your health bar as some kind of resource. If you're at 100% health, close to your cosy warm home base and night is soon to fall, then chopping down some wood or harvesting a carcass can be a pretty good choice even if you lose 20% health and get exhausted and freezing in the process. You'll recover during the night anyway and having some wood or meat might possibly make the difference between life and death for you the next day.

I'm usually not playing in such a min-maxing way and rather try to keep my character in perfect condition, but in TWM this simply doesn't work for me all the time. I guess some trade-offs between condition, warmth and fatigue are pretty much a necessity if you start a game there.

Risk versus reward weighting at its best! ;)

I started a new run in this map - Pilgram mode as I new it would be easier without wolf/bear attacks.

Wow this region weather is so brutal. seems like it's windy and cold all the time. So yeah make sure you collects sticks as much as possible all the time, else you will freeze. I found an axe and hacksaw but now both are broken, due to lack of fixing them which really sucks. I could not found a whetstone anywhere in cabin, fishing hut, cargo containers nothing. maybe just a bad run luck draw?

And what really sucks is once lost your axe/hacksaw there is no way of getting another unless of course you find another, good luck on that. So my next challenge I guess it try to climb a mountain.

and also dissapointed we still can not craft a rabbit hat. I have spare rabbit pelts/gut to make stuff with so why can't we? plus my current cotton blue hat beenie sucks. ps couldn't find a red one this run.

I cannot find a rifle. :/ and in the cargo on top of the cliff across from the fishing hut I only found can openers and tomato soup??:(

The rifle and plenty of ammo are on the top of the Mountain in the plane wreck.There are another rifle spawns in the lower section (also in this thread on the previus page) ,but you find no ammo for it (i found once 1 bullet in the Hatch),so try to survive with flares/torches ,make a bow,or fight wolfs nacked with a knife.

Try to climb higher,if there is not a rope,then go on the lowest level and went more right (if you facing the rope that is behind the fishing hut) ,there are another ways to climb up the hill.

Timberwolf Mounta map skic is located on the other side of the Journal Page.Go to the Mountainers Hut,on the Working bench is the journal page.click on it and rotate it.There you have marked the Echo cave,your possition,the wing section and the rope.If you have already picked it up,click tab,click on the Journal section,there is also the Journal Page,click examine,and you can see the page and rotate it.

I couldnt manage to find the easy way down from the plane wreck. Where is the proper rock to mount the rope?

I have yet to find the cockpit. I love the new map, the brutal weather, the pure nature, the long distances are making me wonder how the stalker will be like? Even at pilgrim is hard.

OMG I've been such a newb, I've been dying ,a lot with new runs in T MT as I've been running past all those crates thinking they wouldn't have anything in them lol. ,

I also died trying to do the Last rope climb to the summit. From running out of stamina just near the top , had to go back down and sleep in bedroll then got rudely awakened by a bear. Can't believe I could have used those ledges. And crates lol

I couldnt manage to find the easy way down from the plane wreck.

Took me a bit of time to figure out a fast route from the Mountain peak back the Crystal lake, but here it is:

[spoil]First of all, remember to pick up the rope inside the plane wreck. You might need 2 ropes alltogether to unlock this route so taking this one is a good choice. Climb down the long summit rope now.

When you reach the secondhighest level of the map, do NOT immediately climb down the other rope (pick it up instead, you might as said need 2 ropes alltogether for this route!) but turn left and climb down the rope that starts near the entrance to the secluded shelf cave. If necessary, attach one of your two rope to that rock to unlock this route.

At the bottom of the cliff (3rd highest level) you need to turn left again and search another rock where you can attach a rope. Attach your second rope there and climb down this cliff as well.

Congrats, you're now on the 4th highest level where the engine is located! You can now easily go through the echo ravine cave and echo ravine until you reach crystal lake. :)[/spoil]

It's the shortest route I've found so far - not saying its necessarily the best, but it's much better than the horrible detour trip that you have to make if you lack enough ropes.^^

If someone has found an even shorter one, please post it here. :)

Took me a bit of time to figure out a fast route from the Mountain peak back the Crystal lake, but here it is:

[spoil]First of all, remember to pick up the rope inside the plane wreck. You might need 2 ropes alltogether to unlock this route so taking this one is a good choice. Climb down the long summit rope now.

When you reach the secondhighest level of the map, do NOT immediately climb down the other rope (pick it up instead, you might as said need 2 ropes alltogether for this route!) but turn left and climb down the rope that starts near the entrance to the secluded shelf cave. If necessary, attach one of your two rope to that rock to unlock this route.

At the bottom of the cliff (3rd highest level) you need to turn left again and search another rock where you can attach a rope. Attach your second rope there and climb down this cliff as well.

Congrats, you're now on the 4th highest level where the engine is located! You can now easily go through the echo ravine cave and echo ravine until you reach crystal lake. :)[/spoil]

It's the shortest route I've found so far - not saying its necessarily the best, but it's much better than the horrible detour trip that you have to make if you lack enough ropes.^^

If someone has found an even shorter one, please post it here. :)

If i correctly understood, after the 3rd rope decline... instead of going via engine which is on the left... continue going straight/right-ish on the frozen river... there will be 4th rope-aka frozen waterfall, go down via that and continue on frozen lake passing up THE ARCH and you end up by the mountainers hut. I also use this way to go up to collect left overs at plane crash site... but yeah at first this route needs to be set up. Its 4 climbs ups, no need going via caves. after first 3 climbs up, i usually go to the secluded self cave which is right there once the 3rd climb is made... rest up for few hours so have like 70%+ of rest bar, and continue for the final 4th climb, to the summit... usually at night... if weather is good. If not i wait until the morning.

If i correctly understood, after the 3rd rope decline... instead of going via engine which is on the left... continue going straight/right-ish on the frozen river... there will be 4th rope-aka frozen waterfall, go down via that and continue on frozen lake passing up THE ARCH and you end up by the mountainers hut.

Nice, thanks a lot! Guess this makes the trip even a little shorter - I'll try it out for sure. :)

So, how do you guys deal with the degradation of the hacksaw? I started a Timber Wolf Mountain run on Pilgrim Mode just to be able to explore, but at one point, my hacksaw got busted. So no more opening plane compartments for me = no new resources = slow death.

So do you try to find another, or do you harvest the extra knife or hatchett to patch up the old one? So far I've find only one hacksaw, which is broken now.

Obviously, if I came from Pleasant Valley, I'd take a 100% hacksaw with me, plus a lot of scrap metal (haven't found any so far lying around in TWM).

scrap is kind of dont needed anymore... rifle fix is via cleaning kit, and knife with hatchet via sharpening tool. scarp only for hacksaw, and i guess to repair tool box.

you should find another one either in fishing hut or mountenairs hut, or in a plane wreck.

scrap is kind of dont needed anymore... rifle fix is via cleaning kit, and knife with hatchet via sharpening tool. scarp only for hacksaw, and i guess to repair tool box.

you should find another one either in fishing hut or mountenairs hut, or in a plane wreck.

Scrap is needed to forge new knives and hatchets, which will be necessary when your regular knives and hatches wear out after you've worn out your last whetstone.

Scrap is also used for arrow heads and for making fish hooks. I use fishing tackle primarily as an improvised sewing kit.

Of course none of these things are apparent until many days have passed and you've used up a ton of resources, but on a long run scrap metal becomes crucial for the above reasons.

Even on stalker is basically super easy...

Quick guide how to survive first 2 days.

wood: Reach the hut... in the radius of 200-300m around hut, like 5 spots, its possible to pick up ~30-50 sticks in like 30 minutes of in-game-time. So there it is for wood. in total of 1-2 in game hours, possible to get ~100 sticks around mountaineers hut. plus hut itself always has like 4 cedar and 2 fir or whatever.

food: cat tail stalks or free dear at a lake, due to steering at wolf and escaping to fishing hut or mountaineers hut, and cargos.

clothing: is actually might be the most important, i just forgot which cargo has clothing... but with short stroll 4 cargos so 8 sections to loot, and one or even two of them has mid range clothing. mine had mariners coat and bunch of others. the crappy ones was harvested, and the better ones repaired, and was not even at day 2 and had +11 and +5 warmth bonus. Literally before day 2 it was game over... i made it. By day 13 had bow, deer skin boots, deer skin pants and mittens. ~ 18+ and 12+ or so warmth bonus.

again made to the summit, thinking of stop playing, till next sandbox shows up. literally nothing to do, bored out. from one map itself like 6 hatchets, 5 latterns, bunch of knives and blah blah blah. i could open my own store.

Archived