all areas unlocked.good/bad?

sierra 117

Anyone else a bit annoyed the areas are all unlocked? I can understand that some people have struggled to get to the other areas but I personally think this takes away from the feeling of progress when you finally do discover a new area on your own.

I personally think they should re-lock the areas

Let me know what you guys think. Do you think this is good /bad move?

*sigh* What's with this compulsion to tell other players how to play a game? Explain to me how exactly having the OPTION to start a new game on any of the maps limits YOUR experience of simply not doing just that and discovering the area in your own time?

Hinterland are giving us the freedom to decide, why do you want to limit the freedom of choice for all players? Because you don't have the discipline to not click that button?

Personally I have only played ML so far and I am not going to explore any other areas for now. For one, because I don't think it to be realistic, since I have everything I need to survive available, but the main reason is because I might do a Let's Play in the future and I'd like it to be of a fresh experience with a new map.

So, I suggest just holding off on the new area until you have discovered it yourself and not trying to force other players to play the game they way you think they should.

*sigh* What's with this compulsion to tell other players how to play a game?

I said "My personal preference"

My post was directed at the thread starter mainly, not so much at your post. But now that you mention it: Do you mean to say that it is your personal preference that they game should only allow access to ML and the new map? I.e. your personal preference is that players don't get to choose? Or did you mean that, because of your preference, you choose only to start new games in ML and the new map?

Ok so, show me, where on my post did I tell people how to play the game?

And did I not say that I PERSONALLY think it takes away from the feeling of progress when you/we discover an area ourselves.

I also asked for feedback from others as I realise not everyone will feel the same as I do.

So yeah thanks for the opinion, but try to be less hostile next time, we all have a right to an opinion.

Of course this is your personal opinion. You would hardly come on here to express someone else's opinion.

The point I was trying to make went completely over your head, probably because I was a tad belligerent. But this is a pet peeve for me... I will try again.

Currently, there is nothing in the game that forces you to jump straight into the new area. Nor is there anything that prevents you from taking your time and discovering the new area by yourself. You stated that you are "a bit annoyed" that the game offers you (and all others) the option of playing in the new area right away. Why? How can an optional feature possibly "annoy" you?

I personally think they should re-lock the areas

This is want I meant when saying "telling other players how to play the game". What you are implicitly saying (whether you mean to or not) is: I personally think that all players should be forced to manually discover all areas other than ML.

So, again: Nobody forces you to start a new game in the new area. Please do not suggest for this bit of control to be removed from the players.

Incidentally I completely agree with you underlying sentiment: I wouldn't dream of starting a new game in the new area rather than discovering it myself. But I simply choose not to do it. Can't you do the same?

Colour me surprised that 75% of players don't make it out of ML. I picked places clean then struck out to explore further. Once I'd hit all the major spots, I was out of there.

I'd wonder how many of those players dropped the game. I have at least one friend who was like "I kept dying, so I stopped playing". I don't know if they'll survive anywhere else any better.

I know there are people are sticking to ML because that's how they want to play, but I don't see how letting them start somewhere else is a bad idea. If you can survive 50 days in ML without moving on, it's not like you don't know how to move on. You just don't want to.

Archived