v.298 December Update: "Timberwolf Mountain"

Raphael van Lierop

• Hinterland

Hello fans,

We're excited to be able to share with you information about our December update, which we're calling "Timberwolf Mountain".

Please go here for a more detailed breakdown of features and content in our "Timberwolf Mountain" update:

http://hinterlandgames.com/the-long-dar ... ate-to-tm/

THE LONG DARK SANDBOX UPDATED TO v.298 CHANGELIST

FEATURES & ADDITIONS

* Added new region: Timberwolf Mountain.

* Added Rope Climbing gameplay.

* Added Distress Pistol tool/weapon.

* Added Stats Screen that tracks current and historical Sandbox game data.

* Added Player Log that tracks locations explored, general status, and allows for players to write/edit Journal entries.

* Added Rifle Cleaning Kit tool, and Rifle maintenance gameplay.

* Added Sharpening Stone tool, and bladed tool maintenance gameplay.

* Added Sharpening Stones and Rifle Cleaning Kits to all Sandbox regions. Added spawning logic to ensure they spawn in old save games.

* Added Rifle Jamming.

* Added Fatigue-driven Rifle sway.

* Added pre-Aim reticle back to Bow.

* Added on-screen indicators for all types of damage.

* Added variant of Ice Fishing Hut that has flimsy door to provide shelter from wind.

* Updated Caves directly connected to the world so their interior temperature is modified by the exterior temperature, vs. a static temperature trigger.

* Added new Death, Near Neath, and Region music.

* Added some new landmarks in Pleasant Valley to help with the navigation to Timberwolf Mountain.

* Updated Wind system to affect trees, branches, grass, and reeds.

* Updated Stag model and animations, including carcasses.

* Updated Condition HUD indicators, to only appear when sub-conditions are critical.

* Updated the Stamina Bar to more clearly indicate when the player cannot sprint due to injuries, exhaustion, etc.

* Updated Location text labels.

* Updated the names of some of the “transition” regions, to give them a unique identity.

* Updated the Sandbox menu for improved usability.

* Updated Low Health screen effects to better communicate critical health status.

* Unlocked all playable Regions from the Sandbox menu. The player may now select any of the available regions without needing to find those locations through gameplay.

BUG FIXES

Rendering / Effects

* Fixed issue with mountains being rendered in front of chain-link fence in Pleasant Valley.

* Fixed issue where barrel smoke would be visible after re-equipping a holstered Rifle.

* [PC/Xbox] Fixed potential clipping of sun/moon above the line of the horizon.

Input

* Fixed issue where mouse could occasionally exit the active game window.

* Fixed issue where gamepad input was being received when game not in focus.

* Fixed issue with excessive GPU usage when game not in focus.

Gameplay

* Fixed issue where players would be able to accidentally set fires under themselves (leading to injury or death).

* Fixed issue where player could respawn inside rocks after falling through ice.

* Fixed issue where one of each relevant raw material item would remain after crafting an item.

* Fixed issue where 0-calorie food items could be returned to inventory.

* Fixed issue with Coal sometimes spawning in air.

* Fixed issue where the Rifle could be reloaded while in Aim mode.

* Fixed issue where Rifle could be fired after reloaded Aim was never released.

* Fixed issue where Rifle aiming was out of alignment with the iron sights.

* Fixed issue with not being able to break down respawned Hardwood and Softwood Limbs

* Fixed issue with breakable objects respawning after being broken down outdoors.

* Fixed rare black screen crash when harvesting a carcass with near zero meat

* Fixed issue with getting kicked out of vehicle when trying to place objects.

* Fixed issue with snare being put into trap mode when unset snare moved around.

* Fixed issue where branches/sticks/limbs would sometimes not spawn in areas they should.

* Fixed issue where animal corpses outdoors would thaw if the player was inside a sheltered location.

* Fixed issue where the Improvised Knife, Improvised Hatchet, Hammer, and Prybar, could not be used to clear Ice Fishing holes.

* Fixed issue where Arrows would become very large when hitting certain surfaces.

Save/Load

* Fixed rare crash in old games when saved during certain Moon phases.

* Fixed issue where if the survivor had a sprained wrist, a weapon would be re-equipped after loading the game.

* [Xbox Only] Fixed issue where players could play without being signed in to an Xbox profile, which would result in losing game progress when the console was turned off.

Achievements

* Fixed issue where players required an extra night to get the Night Walker achievement.

* Fixed issue where creating Reishi and Rosehip tea invalidated the Living Off The Land achievement.

User Interface (UI)

* Fixed issue where the game could crash when opening cans in the Cooking UI.

* Fixed issue where it was not possible to Cancel Cooking or Opening Cans actions.

* Fixed issue where Crafting buttons were visible while Crafting action was underway.

* Fixed issue where a burned out Torch could still be used to start a fire.

* Fixed issue with LMB+RMB causing placed objects to blur and be placed in the air.

* Fixed issue where the Inventory action label for Matches displayed "Equip" instead of "Strike", as they must be used from first-person view.

* Fixed issue where the Main Menu would occasionally fade out when on a secondary menu layer.

Audio

* Fixed issues where audio could become distorted or muted when using Alt-Tab.

* Fixed issue where wind audio could sometimes disappear in Desolation Point.

* Removed error noises when triggering boil water/melt snow.

* Fixed issue with torch audio continuing to loop after harvesting a lit torch.

* Fixed issue where Mouse adjustment sliders in the Options Menu would not trigger a sound.

* [Xbox Only] Fixed issue where audio could occasionally stutter for streaming sounds.

### END OF CHANGELIST ###

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! I just watched the story mode trailer. wonderful. The atmosphere, the artwork, the voice overs - love it. You guys are quality! One of my favorite games. And it just keeps getting better and better! :D

As for the new region: where do i have to go to access it from an old save? I will search it now. Have the feeling I´ll die horribly ;)

J

I've already discovered some pretty interesting places at "Timberwolf Mountain". Very nice new map, seems to be a pretty large area, too. Climbing is fun ... good game mechanics. Found a rope hanging off some rock, but do not know how to use my own rope, so far ... very good update.

Great to hear you guys are enjoying the update so far!

Little bit disappointed you guys have unlocked all regions though, I really used to enjoy finding the transition zones to new areas.

You don't have to discover the new transition zones yourself, but it's certainly still an option if that's what you prefer!

Awesome, just awesome, what I've seen so far is just great, the new deer and the trees moving in the wind... just wow!

I did not want to start in the new region so I took my savegame from PV and went looking, and it took me just like 10 ingame hours, I knew exactly where to look :D ... I'm just wondering if the new bunker spawn is a random spawn or is it a second bunker which is static?

Beth, I´m trying to access it from PV on my 400 day playthrough, can you give me a hint where the entrance is? ;P

[spoil]If you exit one of the other transition zones, its on the other side of Pleasant Valley.[/spoil]

minor spoiler: http://prntscr.com/9en6jk :)

Just one thing I don't like, the clicking sound in the menu and inventory is way too intense, very irritating.

Great :D cant wait to give it a go. This is the only game I will temporarily put fallout4 away for.lol.

Little bit disappointed you guys have unlocked all regions though, I really used to enjoy finding the transition zones to new areas.

i agree with sierra on this, i much prefer having new locations to play them. but otherwise, i love what i have read, now to get the update and give it a go.

Nice to see a new update, looking great!

Small question, will you eventually add a player body model?

And a silly question about the promo video, at time ~1:18 when you open the log, there is an alarm sound. I've heard that many times in game but have no clue what is it about.

love the update, except for my usual complaint, i cant read anything because the font used is too small. and i am a little mad. i started a new game in pilgrim just to check out the new area, and somehow my 327 day pilgrim save disappeared.

I have passed along the feedback regarding the font, but would love to have more information from you. It sounds like you're likely playing on XBox -- Could you please share the size of your screen and the distance from which you typically play? This may give us some good insight into this particular bit of feedback.

Also, if you are playing on XBox, some players have seen their saves returned after restarting the console and game. If this does not work for you, we are so very sorry about the loss, but we've done our best to ensure you don't experience any issues with losing save data moving forward.

Wait, so with the new rifle maintenance and the sharpening stones, do toolkits do anything anymore?

Yes, toolkits can still be used to maintain other items they were previously useful for, like the storm lantern.

love the update, except for my usual complaint, i cant read anything because the font used is too small. and i am a little mad. i started a new game in pilgrim just to check out the new area, and somehow my 327 day pilgrim save disappeared.

I have passed along the feedback regarding the font, but would love to have more information from you. It sounds like you're likely playing on XBox -- Could you please share the size of your screen and the distance from which you typically play? This may give us some good insight into this particular bit of feedback.

Also, if you are playing on XBox, some players have seen their saves returned after restarting the console and game. If this does not work for you, we are so very sorry about the loss, but we've done our best to ensure you don't experience any issues with losing save data moving forward.

yes, i do play TLD on the XB1. my TV is a 37 inch plasma set an aspect ratio of 16:9 (whatever that means). i have tried other settings, but the 16:9 is the best. i sit about 8 feet from the tv. the font in game appears to be about the same size as the font used in these forums (which would also be unreadable to me without the zoom feature).this is about the smallest font i would be able to see without a military grade set of field glasses. speaking of which, i would love to see an item of that sort in game.

any other info i can provide to solve this issue, just ask. i would be happy to help.

With this update I announce hinterland studio officially the:

awesome-content-marketing.jpg

I love the introduction of stats, it's been something I've been wishing for since I began playing this game. I even planned to write a loganalyzer myself if the final version would still lack it (and the log format wouldn't change anymore). Also we can finally explore the Airplane in which our character crashed (I think?) and the rope system feels much more natural than the awkward "crouch and climb down any vertical wall feature" we used to have.

Can't comment on the new region yet but I am pretty sure that it will underline the above linked pincture ;)

yes, i do play TLD on the XB1. my TV is a 37 inch plasma set an aspect ratio of 16:9 (whatever that means). i have tried other settings, but the 16:9 is the best. i sit about 8 feet from the tv. the font in game appears to be about the same size as the font used in these forums (which would also be unreadable to me without the zoom feature).this is about the smallest font i would be able to see without a military grade set of field glasses. speaking of which, i would love to see an item of that sort in game.

any other info i can provide to solve this issue, just ask. i would be happy to help.

I'm on a 42" TV here on XB1 and I would agree that the font and iconography is just a touch too small. It's readable, but takes a bit more concentration than is needed.

However, this update sounds like the bee's knees, so I'm going to dive right in. You guys rock!

Archived