Hard Crash during random actions

Ocelot

Thank you Hinterland for following through on your promise to port The Long Dark to Linux. I actually bought the game a year ago thinking it was linux compatible already so I was pleasantly surprised to see it in my Steam library a few days ago.

I've been experiencing some hard crashes while performing random actions (like lighting fires or entering new areas). Both of my monitors will go blank (no signal), and pressing ctrl+alt+f1 to jump to a TTY (so I can force-close the game) doesn't do anything. I have to hard-reboot my computer to be able to use it again.

My system stats are:

Processor: Intel i7 920

Linux: Debian, Kernel 3.16.0-4-amd64

RAM: 12GB RAM / 4.6GB Swap

Videocard: GTX 560Ti, Nvidia Driver v. 352.30

Desktop Environment: KDE 4.14.2

Is there a logfile for the game I can post?

Any useful linux logfiles you want me to post? (e.g. dmesg)

You can find the log file here:

~/.config/unity3d/Hinterland/The Long Dark/Player.log

You might also read this and apply it:

https://wiki.debian.org/Steam#Troubleshooting

I know I needed a workaround to keep it from crashing when entering and exiting buildings on Arch (which you can find in a few threads in this sub-forum). And it looks like Debian also has a library incompatibility between Steam's runtime and what it provides. I know it's been 100% stable for me once I fixed that incompatibility.

The severity of the crash makes me wonder if there isn't something bigger wrong, here. Do other games run fine? Nothing overheating or anything like that? Even something like bad RAM can do that sort of thing, but that's sheer speculation at this point. Looking at other system log files might not be a terrible idea. If you can find anything from when it crashes that looks suspicious, that might be handy.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for that.

Here is the paste of the logfile: http://pastebin.com/gufU2rQS

A quick skim of the log file doesn't seem to be very telling and severity leads me to believe that it probably crashes the video card itself. I wonder, if you experience the problem too, is there anything in common? (e.g. nvidia driver, KDE desktop environment, etc)

Also, some video I recorded of the crash:

No, I have nothing anything like that, even without the fix I mentioned for the issue with the Steam runtime. I do have a GTX 560, with NVidia proprietary drivers (v352.41 and I seriously need to do a system update). Gnome currently, but works the same in KDE for me.

The shader messages are normal (at least I have them too and it runs flawlessly, other than an issue with the sound starting to play at the wrong frequency if the game loses focus). This line I do not have, though:

Could not load Resources for: GEAR_Bow 

Means little to me, but might mean something to the developers as to what's going wrong.

Shortly after that, the log abruptly ends. If there's any further clues as to what went wrong, I suspect they will be found in your /var/log directory. It might be worth seeking help on finding them from a Debian specific source, such as an IRC channel or Debian related tech support forum. There should hopefully be some information from before your current boot in a log file in there.

• 1 month later...

Solved in my case. The crashes were actually caused by overheating exacerbated by failing graphics card fans. The problem became apparent when I started hard-locking when not even playing the game. Looking at the temp monitor showed that my GPU was hitting about 105c at which point the computer would hard-lock, when I checked fans prior to hard lock both of them were not spinning, or were only spinning sporadically. After I lubricated the fan the temps went back down to about 50c idle, and about 85c when playing TLD. No hard locks yet.

• 6 months later...

My first post here (thanks for a great game, is fun following the development)!

However, I cannot play the game nowdays since it crashes my gfx-card (overheats after a few minutes ingame). I have no extra cooling on my 560Ti, but it handles all other modern games just fine. I was wondering if there is a particular quick-fix in the options (Nvidia) that would prevent my card from going hot in TLD?

Keep up the good work with this brilliant title!

/Broms

Archived