The Revenant

• 1 month later...

Awesome camera that deserves an Oscar for sure, very intense and some unusal transitions. Two memorable scenes, the bear fight of course and the fall to the tree which got my friend jumping up in the cinema :D

But other than that I am a bit disappointed by the story and by the lack of Voyageur scenes although the trailer looked so promising :(

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting opinion piece on The Revenant (spoilers inside): http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2016/02/the_revenant_is_awful_stupid_boring_terrible_and_the_worst_best_picture.html

What do you think? Does the intensity and difficulty involved in making the film obscure huge problems under the surface?

(Just for fun, one of the new icons :knife::shock:)

9 hours ago, patrick_carlson said:

Interesting opinion piece on The Revenant (spoilers inside): http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2016/02/the_revenant_is_awful_stupid_boring_terrible_and_the_worst_best_picture.html

What do you think? Does the intensity and difficulty involved in making the film obscure huge problems under the surface?

(Just for fun, one of the new icons :knife::shock:)

Sure it was no literary masterpiece but neither was Die Hard, they call them critics for a reason I guess!  As for the Oscars, meh never really cared for them, it's just a bunch of old white men trading kickbacks for votes.  

Did I enjoy an action packed, albeit unbelievable adventure with stunning cinematography, most definitely!

Could I use it as a tertiary source in a history paper on the plight of the North American Indigenous population, probably not.

• 1 month later...

I watched the film with my father. I loved it and so did he.

The soundtrack is amazing. It's just so bleak and haunting. 

The book that the film was based on, titled "The Revenant: A Novel Of Revenge" by Michael Punke is extremely gripping. I highly recommend it.

The film was just released in 4K Blu Ray format.

I am looking forward to watching it again in that glorious resolution. :D

Just for fun:

Enjoy!!! :D

I saw this movie on Blu-Ray. I really like survival films as you may guess but I am a bit disappointed that it wasn't a bear vs man film. The whole graphic nature of the film is a bit much too. I mean the story is of an adult theme, revenge I get that but really I just didn't like the whole story. Yes I wanted to see the father get the revenge but would it not have been more powerful if the wild had already taken the bad guy? Would it not have been a better film if more of the nature they filmed in so detailed and naturally lit they had scenes in and explained why everything was so chaotic early on? I look at this movie and it is much more raw and shot driven than "The Edge" but The Edge was a much better story with stronger characters too and I only wish the Revenant was more like that. The idea of leaving a guy for dead and him coming back to kill the guy when he wasn't dead isn't really what I would call that unbelievable of a story. The guy who said he was dead was a liar and cheat so it wasn't like it was a credible coming back from the dead. It just doesn't really work. As a survival film it is that, and the landscapes are beautiful but as far as a story well it just doesn't have a great one. It is a story of endurance and achievement but really you could put all that effort into hunting that guy down and have never made it. How did he start the fire after he fell through the ice? Nobody knows? How is it he had a fire going with smoke and the guy who had 3 fires going nearby didn't see his fire with the smoke? All sorts of weird inconsistencies like this make it hard to really see this as a really superior film. 

Archived