Leather curing

Staremperor

I'd be delighted to see more complex process of curing animal hides into useful leather.

Please excuse my poor terminology, english is my second language.

First part is cleaning hide with knife or axe. With that hide is cleared of remains of muscles, fat and ligaments

Second part is liming for getting rid of cellular remains (this also removes hair, so this step could be ommited in game)

Third part would be acctual curing either with mixture of bark and water or with fat (oil or lard)

Four and final part is drying cured leather.

I actually simulated something like this in one my runs on twitch before they implemented the current curing mechanic. I built a "tanning rack" out of 4 snares. I'd "Forage Wood" for 2 hours(this was before they changed the wood gathering mechanic) to flesh it and de-hair it and then throw away the wood. Then I had a "soaking" station represented with water and a piece of meat to soften it up for 2 hours. Then I'd dry it for 2 hours then put it next to the fire to smoke it for 2 hours.

It slowed the game way down and was a labor intensive thing, which IMO is a good thing. I have a feeling that the devs are eventually going to change the current non-interactive mechanic to something else. If not, you'll have to wait for Kraelman's Realism Mod(some time after full release when Hinterland supports this kind of thing). My plan is to change it to make Fresh Hides and Gut as a cook-able item and have it take several hours to cook on a fire and then it will change to "cured". Imperfect solution, but its something.

• 1 year later...

I like the idea of a "tanning rack" since this would be possible with in-game ressources. I first thought of making a rack out of branches and line from gut, but the suggestion of four snares would fit aswell. It would at least take more effort to craft the cured hides than just drop them onto a cabin floor.

And I'm looking forward to the kraelman's realistic mod, too...

I have 'brain tanned' deer hides in RL.  It is a fairly straightforward task of ten or so steps taking about a week. However, I don't think realistic hide tanning will be implemented in TLD as it stands as I suspect the developers have a philosophy regarding game additions where there has to be a 'play-value ad'.  Some equation like Realism vs. Gameplay Value.  So many tasks are simplified to reduce micromanagement that would be deemed to be low play value.  A bit like disassembling the rifle to clean it.  Some might find it fun, but probably the same criteria was used and it is simply assumed that you have done a bunch of stuff after a few clinking and scraping sounds.

There is very little micromanagement in the game (with the possible exception of clothing) and no gratuitous crafting.  Every element adds a unique facet to the game play. 

I agree with ernestww, but still I think curing hides is way too easy  compared to the most valuable ressource. You can build and repair high quality clothes which become even more important the further the game proceeds. I think it should be more "expensive" to get those cured hides. 

On 3/22/2017 at 1:23 AM, polente said:

I agree with ernestww, but still I think curing hides is way too easy  compared to the most valuable ressource. You can build and repair high quality clothes which become even more important the further the game proceeds. I think it should be more "expensive" to get those cured hides. 

I would support that.  Perhaps the addition of a labour component.  There is a lot of RL hands on labour in creating a buckskin hide, 4 - 6 hours total intermixed between soaking in an alkaline solution,scraping, neutral ph water soak, working in the brain solution, then drawing it out while it drys, and finally smoking it.

I would be in favour of a couple on the devs creating their own buckskin hide in RL and then integrating a simplified mechanic in the game.

In fact they can ping me here and I will give them a raw deerskin (in exchange for a Hinterland coffee cup :) ) , I live about an hour away...LOL.

Its complete, with a .303 hole 

On 3/22/2017 at 8:15 PM, ernestww said:

I have 'brain tanned' deer hides in RL.  It is a fairly straightforward task of ten or so steps taking about a week. However, I don't think realistic hide tanning will be implemented in TLD as it stands as I suspect the developers have a philosophy regarding game additions where there has to be a 'play-value ad'.  Some equation like Realism vs. Gameplay Value.  So many tasks are simplified to reduce micromanagement that would be deemed to be low play value.  A bit like disassembling the rifle to clean it.  Some might find it fun, but probably the same criteria was used and it is simply assumed that you have done a bunch of stuff after a few clinking and scraping sounds.

There is very little micromanagement in the game (with the possible exception of clothing) and no gratuitous crafting.  Every element adds a unique facet to the game play. 

I wonder if we could have both? The simple method remains for those who don't want to fuss so much with details .... but if you do build the curing rack etc, you get hardier leather for your clothing. Maybe even one less pelt needed for the item you want to craft.

Archived