killing time

Tbone555

1 hour ago, illanthropist said:

Aye, i was just amazed by his "leave no trace" in the video, been looking at getting into knapping, got some bits collected, still need to buy some plumbing supplies to make a bopper and flaker.  Will do it come summer when I can sit out.  Gonna start using the glass bottle bottoms, they separate easily enough with a big nail or drill bit.

Ceramic tiles are another good option if chert is not available. You can always get supplies for flint knapping; really beautiful stuff. In addition to boppers of various weight, you should probably have an indirect percussion tool which is made from a heavy gauge copper grounding wire mounted into a wooden or antler handle. I meant to say a source for glass are the thick tempered glass table tops.

There are lots of online resources including a Facebook group on Flint Knapping with a group of guys who are really into helping others get into this hobby. We should continue this in the Wishlist thread on Flint Arrowheads or in the Off Topic forum. I'd really like a bit of feedback from Hinterland if there is sufficient interest that we put together information on the various tools and processes with an eye to specifications for a mechanic for knapping. I've already given the basic steps and tools on the Flint Arrowhead thread including a nice animated gif showing the lithic reduction process which is turning a large chunk (core) into spalls and flakes and biface points for darts, arrows, spears, axes, knives and scrapers.

Here is a nice article on the stone axe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_axe

Agarre_de_un_bifaz.png

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SteveP said:

you should probably have an indirect percussion tool which is made from a heavy gauge copper grounding wire mounted into a wooden or antler handle

Yeah thanks, Have a couple pieces of antler tine put to one side to do that, was just going to drill a smal hole and fit in copper roofing nails for pressure flaking/notching.  No flint or chert naturally within a few hundred miles of where I live so will make do with glass to start off.

On 13-11-2015 at 6:30 AM, Tbone555 said:

so i started a new run a couple days ago on stalker, and im up to 40(ish) days

and im sooooo booooored. when you have an entire freezer stocked full of meat, have gallons of water to spare and firewood stocked up, there is virtually nothing to do. i'd go out exploring, but im on mystery lake and theres nothing really interesting to see. its just a bunch of cabins stocked full of food that i dont need. this is a new thing to me, i've never been bored with this game. its always been constantly worrying about if and when im gonna end up dying, struggling to survive. but now i have everything i need and all i have to do is repair and boil water to kill time.

so what do you guys all do for fun when playing on your longer runs? i really need ideas :P

Welcome to the club ;)

I try not to get too much in a short time but rather get a little bit every couple of days. This way I always have something to do.

2 hours ago, elloco999 said:

Welcome to the club ;)

I try not to get too much in a short time but rather get a little bit every couple of days. This way I always have something to do.

I literally just realized I said "mystery lake"

i was on CH xD

but that's usually what I do :) I spend about 40 days just getting my footing on new characters. Gathering resources, hunting, and crafting clothing to keep me warm. Staying in one spot. Then once I have the clothes to keep me warm, I explore the whole map. 100 percent. Then once that's done, I move on and clear out the next map.

which, one of these days that's gonna leave me with all maps fully explored and no items to scavenge from anywhere, no adventures to have. I guess at that point I'll just hibernate until my guy dies of old age :P

Archived