If I had a Hammer, but I don't, Jokes on me!

piddy3825

So I am 41 days into this survival session, I still haven't found the heavy hammer so I will never be able to craft anything at the forge without it. :x

I decided to start a new game in voyager mode and opted to start in DP. My strategy for this session was to quickly loot the map, craft a hatchet and some arrow heads then move on. My game started normal enough. I find the rifle, a hand full of bullets, the hacksaw, the survival bow, a broken and unbroken arrow, couple of maple saplings, plenty of feathers, a hunting knife, sufficient amount of food, etc... so far I am a happy camper, right?

No hammer... Check the mines you say, of course, I went to both #3 and #5 gathering up coal and to check those tool boxes... no hammer to be found. Ok, I am up for that challenge. Decide to run over to the gas station on the CH. Found the hammer there many times before. I am popping wolves all the way there. Got enough pelts for two coats by the time I get to the gas station. My clothes are in tatters but I am finally there.

Again, no hammer. I check every building on the CH map. No hammer. Now I have hoofed it over to Carter Hydro. Vanquished another wolf, checked the entire dam and still no hammer. :cry: I thought the last update was supposed to put some tools in those tool chests. BTW, I found a feather in the tool box in the Harris basement on the Crumbling Highway. lol

What I do have is 3 hacksaws, two hatchets and 3 hunting knifes and two rifles. I have found enough maple saplings to craft 5 bows and I have 15 birch saplings so that should give me 45 arrow shafts. I got something like 64 feathers collected .

Anyways, got me to thinking... even if I dont ever find the heavy hammer, as long as I can recover my arrow heads I should be able to get a long run out of the materials at hand thru recovery and recycling. :mrgreen:

Seems to me with the hacksaw and the sudden abundance of scrap metal options, a player should be able to maintain their hatchets, knives, firearms and tools nearly forever. Even when I run out of arrows and bullets, I can still defend against and kill a wolf with the knife or hatchet. So now I am wondering, if not being able to easily find the heavy hammer is a glitch or is it by design? :twisted:

Have you checked the hammer spawn point inside Hibernia? You need to search the room downstairs (including the walls) thoroughly and with a lantern - the hammer can be overlooked easily. I think I had a hammer spawn there in pretty much every game I played so far.

So now I am wondering, if not being able to easily find the heavy hammer is a glitch or is it by design?

No offense but it's most likely neither. I'd rather guess you're either overlooking hammers or have really bad luck.

It's pretty random how many of each item you get in a game (and where they spawn). I once started a game in Pleasant valley, searched the whole map thoroughly and ended up with 7 knifes, 4 rifles and only one hatchet. Another time I found three hacksaws in Quonset at once.

Numbers can be pretty odd in single games sometimes, that's a side-effect of determining spawn points via RNG. ;)

Have you checked the hammer spawn point inside Hibernia? You need to search the room downstairs (including the walls) thoroughly and with a lantern - the hammer can be overlooked easily. I think I had a hammer spawn there in pretty much every game I played so far.

Yes, I did just that. After my little trek to the gas station, I return to DP after obtaining the hatchet and another hacksaw. I go back to Hibernia and chop the entire place apart and cut up every bit of metal and break down every cardboard box. I did end up finding another 3 bullets crouch walking under some big gears after sawing up a locker blocking the path. Under the gears were two more metal shelves, after I sawed those up I found the bullets. No hammer... anywhere. checked the cave, checked all the cars, the trucks, skirted the weak ice and scoured the coastline. no hammer bammer.

Not sure a hammer spawns there, but did you check the barn at PV? I've found a hacksaw there before.

I am just getting ready to trek there now having just completed a full sweep of ML and no hammer... gearing up for the jaunt to PV and go check the barn for the hammer. You would think they would need a big heavy hammer out on a farm with those big tractors and such. Wish me luck.

So now I am wondering, if not being able to easily find the heavy hammer is a glitch or is it by design?

No offense but it's most likely neither. I'd rather guess you're either overlooking hammers or have really bad luck.

It's pretty random how many of each item you get in a game (and where they spawn). I once started a game in Pleasant valley, searched the whole map thoroughly and ended up with 7 knifes, 4 rifles and only one hatchet. Another time I found three hacksaws in Quonset at once.

Numbers can be pretty odd in single games sometimes, that's a side-effect of determining spawn points via RNG. ;)

My apologies to the Hinterland Team for thinking this was programming issue...

I started more than one game in various modes and immediately found the hammer on the wall in the work room of Hybernia. Fortunately, I had still had my session up where I still hadn't located the heavy hammer after checking every logical location across all the maps when I started this post. At this point I have almost 50 days of survival time in voyager mode so I decided to satisfy my curiosity one more time and go check the work room yet again for the hammer at the processing plant. Took plenty of work and time to trek back across three maps to get there, but I finally do...

...and there hanging on the wall is the heavy hammer...

go ahead and laugh, I am still shaking my head that I missed it in the first place. But all things considered, only one hammer spawned for this session out of all the possible maps and locations. That in my opinion is still a problem.

Archived