my first long dark experience

Tbone555

the very first time i tried this game, i had just downloaded the free two hour trial thing off of xbox preview, after watching jacksepticeye's videos of it.

i was spawned in the middle of the forest at mystery lake. i had no earthly idea what i was doing and just stumbled around until i found the camp office. i started a fire with some of the sticks i had gathered outside, and searched around for supplies, then got onto the railroad tracks and followed them down to carter hydro dam. i went inside, and thought i was safe when fluffy jumped me from absolutely nowhere. made me jump :P

i fought him off, ran back outside, then stumbled out into the forest in the middle of a blizzard, wounded. my condition was at about 40 percent, but i wasnt suffering blood loss, so still survived for quite a while. eventually froze to death desperately trying to start a fire behind a tree, taking cover from the wind.

honestly, it was an experience that i never felt playing any other game. that 'what am i even doing?' feeling when i first started, then that excitement upon discovering my first shelter. then the overall loneliness that ensued afterward, staring at my fire trying to warm up. and then that last "safe" feeling i had just before everything went horribly wrong and i ended up dying. and then going even further, the dialogue from my character as he was dying, indicating that moment you lose all hope in that kind of situation, the sadness of that realization. the overall survival feel of the game, it was the best thing that i've played in quite a long time. i had to buy it, immediately. and nowadays i cant put it down :P this game is done so well in my opinion. there isnt one thing that i dislike.. well, except that i regularly get food poisoning from granola bars, and nothing else. granola bars are my enemy in this game. they are evil o_o

but i cannot wait to see what this game becomes after future updates. im particularly excited about NPC survivors and characters you'll be able to interact with. the story mode sounds really fun aswell.

anyway i'd definitely give this game a ten outta ten any day. yall keep up the good work, developers :)

Your first run sounds alot like mine, I think I died 4 times in the 2 hour trial trying to find out what I was doing wrong and finding a new wrong thing to do every few minutes.

That is what actually got me hooked on the game, and the reason I had to buy it.

And yes, many players feel like they have a specific "nemesis" in the game, although that's the first time I've heard about evil granola bars. ;)

i feel that the granola bars gather in little circles chanting into the darkness and plotting out my doom.. xD

Archived