The Long Dark Sandbox Updated to v.280

Raphael van Lierop

• Hinterland

The Long Dark Sandbox -- Updated to v.280 & SteamOS/Linux News

Hello!

In this update, we've focused on a general bug-fixing/optimization pass on The Long Dark, in anticipation of new features and content to be added by the end of the year. The game has become so big and we've added so much content this year that we just needed to take a step back and tidy up some of the performance issues and bugs that had piled up, particularly with the UI.

THE LONG DARK SANDBOX UPDATED to v.280 CHANGELIST

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

GENERAL FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS

* Outdoor load times have been reduced by about 30%.

* The moon now glows.

* The starfield is now projected on a sphere, and moves as night progresses.

* Fixed an issue with terrain grass disappearing if the user looked directly down.

* Reduced size of Rabbit Pelt gear item.

* General clean-up of Gear item positions in Inspect mode.

* Lighthouse - fixed floating clipboard after shelf breakdown

* Fixed placed arrows sometimes falling through the world.

* Fixed intermittent audio pauses/gaps [Xbox One]

GAMEPLAY FIXES

* Fixed issue where Rifle would occasionally be lost during a Struggle.

* Fixed issue with being able to instantly catch Rabbits in a Snare.

* Fixed intermittent issue with not being able to pick up used Snares.

* Fixed issue where broken arrows sometimes had higher Condition than when they were whole.

* Tuned wildlife respawn times in Mystery Lake, to bring them more inline with other regions.

* Chain-link fences no longer provide shelter from wind.

* Fixed issue where very small amounts of water could disappear from inventory when dropping water bottles.

* Added slight illumination to items in Inspection mode, to make them visible even when in low-light conditions.

* Made deer corpses in Desolation Point cave start unfrozen, and made corpses thaw when inside caves.

* Slightly increased spawn chance for Feathers.

* Added a small chance that Arrowheads may spawn in Cash Registers or Tool Chests.

* When Breaking Down an item, the spawned Raw Materials are now placed based on the interaction point and not the original object's centre point.

SAVE SYSTEM FIXES

* Fixed issue where vehicle colours would reset between loads.

* Fixed issues with game failing to save, or failing to load old saves [Xbox One]

UI FIXES

* Updated Can Opening UI to use the cover-flow style, to make it more consistent with other selection UIs.

* Fixed missing icon on popup when harvesting Old Man's Beard and Cattails.

* Fixed "Feed Fire" button placement so players are less likely to accidentally take a Torch from an active fire.

* Exiting the Repair or Tool Selection menus will now return you to the Harvest/Repair screens, rather than exiting.

* The UI now displays how much Kerosene gets used up when selected as an Accelerant during Firestarting.

* Non-stackable Firestarting tools (ex. Firestriker) now show their Condition value, vs. simply saying "None", in the Firestarting UI.

* You can no longer modify the amount to be harvested while the harvesting action is in progress.

* Made some improvements to how we handle auto-repeat actions (ex. holding down a key or controller stick), which should help avoid accidental repetitions.

* Added the Time of Day information to the Rest and Ice-Fishing UI, to make it easier to plan out how long you want to Rest or Fish for.

* Added fire duration widget while time is accelerated when using fire.

* Fixed sort/filter icons not appearing on container screen [Xbox One].

* Added lantern and torch icons to equip popup.

* Fixed issue where "Rest Remaining" on first aid could round down to zero.

* Fixed issue where HUD condition icons were partially covered during time accelerated actions.

* Fixed issue with Inventory selection when dropping items from a stack while sorting by weight.

* Fixed issue where mouse cursor would reset to centre after using a first aid item.

* Fixed issue with Rifle not rotating around its centre-point in Inspection mode.

* Fixed issue where scrolling audio wouldn't always play correctly, when scrolling through menu items.

* Torch Condition now visible from the Firestarting screen.

* Fixed issue with very short Repair actions not showing a progress bar.

* Fixed issue where smashing open a can from Feed Fire screen would return to Fuel tab, also added (Opened) tag to cans on Feed Fire screen.

* Fixed fuel display on Inventory screen and Refuel screen.

* Added gear pop-up for cooked or heated food items.

###END OF CHANGELIST###

UPCOMING: STEAM OS, STEAM CONTROLLER & LINUX SUPPORT

We're happy to share an update on our progress with Linux support. We have a Linux build of The Long Dark up and running in the studio, running on SteamOS, which is based on a Debian 7 Linux distro. The game looks great and runs well, but it needs more testing for us to be 100% confident in it.

We're hoping that the Linux community will support this testing effort. Within the next few weeks, we'll be launching an Experimental Linux Branch that current players can "opt in" to, to help with testing. We'll also set up a Linux sub-forum -- both in Steam and in our official community -- so there'll be a place to track bugs and provide feedback on performance, etc. Once the Experimental Linux Branch has had sufficient testing, we'll fold Linux into our main release.

With this Linux work underway, we're tracking towards full Steam OS and Steam Controller support for The Long Dark. Release date on that is still TBD. We'll provide more info about the Steam OS release once we firm up our plans.

Thanks!

- The Hinterland Team

Awesome work Hinterland!

Three little things I would like to mention:

Dried birch saplings sink halfway into the ground now.

The spinning sand clock in the top left of the time accelerated screen would be nicer to look at if the sand would actually float from one chamber into the other.

Finally the rabbit pelt is accurately sized, the bear pelt should be about 50% bigger too.

Thanks for the update! :)

UPCOMING: STEAM OS, STEAM CONTROLLER & LINUX SUPPORT

We're happy to share an update on our progress with Linux support. We have a Linux build of The Long Dark up and running in the studio, running on SteamOS, which is based on a Debian 7 Linux distro. The game looks great and runs well, but it needs more testing for us to be 100% confident in it.

We're hoping that the Linux community will support this testing effort. Within the next few weeks, we'll be launching an Experimental Linux Branch that current players can "opt in" to, to help with testing. We'll also set up a Linux sub-forum -- both in Steam and in our official community -- so there'll be a place to track bugs and provide feedback on performance, etc. Once the Experimental Linux Branch has had sufficient testing, we'll fold Linux into our main release.

With this Linux work underway, we're tracking towards full Steam OS and Steam Controller support for The Long Dark. Release date on that is still TBD. We'll provide more info about the Steam OS release once we firm up our plans.

All the changes in this update are great, but as a linux user I'm most excited about this announcement.

Like cekivi, I'd love for there to be some adjustment to bow hunting (my problems are with aiming).

Nice work there :)

And 1 question... Is it just me or is there sum problems with arrowhead crafting. I can't craft arrowhead in trapper's home, nor i cant craft it in camp office...

but otherwise nice job with the game.

I believe since v.264, you now have to craft arrowheads in the forge on Desolation Point.

And 1 question... Is it just me or is there sum problems with arrowhead crafting. I can't craft arrowhead in trapper's home, nor i cant craft it in camp office...

I believe since v.264, you now have to craft arrowheads in the forge on Desolation Point.

Ah ok. I just have not read update news with my brains on :)

Ah ok. I just have not read update news with my brains on :)

Yes, since the Desolation Point update, arrow heads are crafted at the forge found in that region. You will find some other broken arrows and arrowheads scattered around the other maps as well, though. So keep an eye out for them.

Nobody even playing. In this day in age there's no excuse for not having a game were multiple players can play. I say its being lazy on your part. So you went from having something special that could have been a huge franchise to having I don't even know. Even when the game comes out its not going sell. Sorry but I'm being real with. I'm a have good judgement on the things like this. Me personally yea I like it I'm on xbox. And I supported you guys but you don't have nothing to draw people in. So what if you have to build the game over. Ya direction is muffled. I really want to see this game do good. I guess you guys will be happy selling nearly half a million copies. Nobody plays. That translate to no body going buy

It's boring by yourself. Lone dark or not. B real to yourselves.

Nobody even playing. In this day in age there's no excuse for not having a game were multiple players can play. I say its being lazy on your part. So you went from having something special that could have been a huge franchise to having I don't even know. Even when the game comes out its not going sell. Sorry but I'm being real with. I'm a have good judgement on the things like this. Me personally yea I like it I'm on xbox. And I supported you guys but you don't have nothing to draw people in. So what if you have to build the game over. Ya direction is muffled. I really want to see this game do good. I guess you guys will be happy selling nearly half a million copies. Nobody plays. That translate to no body going buy

One post and all you do is complain about the game not being multiplayer == Troll of the day I say.

Many many people love this game and due to the fact it is not multiplayer and also a fresh fun game play experience that other games don't offer. Also don't forget it is sandbox only atm, Story mode might but be more fun for you as it will no doubt have other characters to interact with.

I'm a positive person. Optimistic. Wanna see everyone do well. I'm not into all the rah rah. I don't even know what a troll is. I just telling the truth and what I know what would truly breath life into this game. Honestly how many of your friends are playing? I don't even use forums, even more this is the first post I ever wrote for any forum. There's a right way to do things and there's a wrong way. I actually wrote this because I care to see this game take off which I feel it won't do. The people who have it now will be the community. Yea npc will be in but still. Playability of this game highly low. Don't get it twisted I bought this game because I liked it, being my own man vs wild but that becomes short lived. 50 friends playing destiny and no one but me on the lone dark. That's wack. It's like they want this to be a tell tales game. No actually I just bought the game just to explore and look at beautiful sceneryp so I'm not looking forward to a story mode especially when I cant customize my own character being I'm african american. So I'll be in sandbox mostly anyway. You should have a option. There are none. Im not complaining I'm stating what's obvious. Of course things may be hard that's real life and yeah money may have to be spent but don't you truly want something special? I don't care for npcs I rather have no npc and options for other people. I'm done just like everyone else. Sooner or later it'll be gone for gb space. That sucks. It was worth my money as is tho. Take care

Playability of this game highly low.

Post your wishes in the wish list forum area! we shouldnt be discussing here. Also I disagree with your about playability so far I have clocked up 234hours in this game. I would call that playability :) time to go play some more good day/night over and out.

Not really sure what this is referring to? We've sold around half a million copies in early access/game preview alone, so it seems like people are fairly excited to survive in The Long Dark. We also have a clear direction for the future, though we typically choose not to share details of future updates. Please always feel free to share more thoughts and suggestions in our Playtest and Wish List forums. These areas will also have a decent amount of tips and ideas that may help you learn and understand the mechanics a bit better, which could potentially improve your overall experience. Sad to see a new member join the forums with negativity right out of the gate, but we're always open to feedback of all types -- Just be mindful that your posts stay constructive and respectful.

While Beth confirmed my thought that the game had already sold over 500k copies and it is not even in beta yet, i would say that for brand new company to sell 500k units of thier first product would be huge.

As for playability, i find it very playable. I currently play this game almost exclusively. While i think that local and online multi-player would be nice, i dont think it is required for the game to be a success. In fact , it may even hurt the game. To add multi-p'ayer, they would have to add avatars, and i like finally having a game without all the troubles of avatars.

While i am pleased with the last update, you still have not addressed what is the biggest issue, that bieng the tiny font used for on screen messages. It is too small to be read from a reasonable distance from the tv. Tiny font may work on the computer version as that most people are seldom more than a couple feet from thier monitor. But for console, most people are 6 to 12 feet away from thier tv and that tiny font is hard to read from that distance.

You know the problem with newer players usually younger in age they would all love to play MMO's and general multiplayer games. With no depth, just time killers.

A good portion of youngsters don't even respect single player games anymore, the nice details, the fine polishing of a game.

Hinterland keep up the great work. Thats why we love small independent developers, they provide what current AAA companies cannot.

While i am pleased with the last update, you still have not addressed what is the biggest issue, that bieng the tiny font used for on screen messages. It is too small to be read from a reasonable distance from the tv. Tiny font may work on the computer version as that most people are seldom more than a couple feet from thier monitor. But for console, most people are 6 to 12 feet away from thier tv and that tiny font is hard to read from that distance.

I understand, and rest assured this is certainly something I've passed along.

Since this update I have noticed that items which give reclaimed wood and are found outside (such as pallets) now respawn and rather quickly.

Not sure this intentional but it also applies to mines. It does not apply to metal items.

I believe it is a bug (created a thread for it) because these items reappear after entering and leaving a building but often times cannot be used for awhile or until you reload the game.

I had a nice game going where I had harvested EVERY man made object in all maps but pleasant Valley and now loads of them have reappeared and keep reappearing.

Now I just ignore the outdoor items in my quest and to be honest I have more than enough reclaimed wood (I never burn it just so I always have some for more traps....which I know is pointless)

Anyhow would like to know if this was intended or not because it did not happen in the past for me.

Did you guys change the spawn rate of metal pieces?

I didn't see anything about it the log change notes.

Before the update metal pieces could be found in many places. Now there is hardly any, well a lot less. I don't mind this more realistic and forces you to find a tool to break down metal objects. Was just wondering if it indeed had been tweaked again or not - thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived