Least valuable "find" in the game

vimrich

Balancing off the "Most Valuable" thread. What is the least useful item you can find?

I vote: Water Purification Tablets. I'm almost never that short of wood that I can make non-potable water but not enough fire left to boil it. Maybe on stalker this is more of a help?

Weird because IRL survival, these are very useful and probably pretty rare to find in a typical bathroom cabinet.

From what we have presently, I'm inclined to agree with you. I collect them and store them impulsively, since my real life training tells me they're fabulous to have, but I've never once used one in game. Perhaps if water sources are added to the game that don't involve either finding potable water, or boiling down snow, we'll see them become useful. Things like an unfrozen pond we could harvest, or the ability to collect water from the waterfalls. Then we'd have reason to use tablets, since that would be a way to get non-potable water that didn't involve already having a fire going. There's nothing else where I don't have at least *some* use for it, even if that use is only harvesting it down to its components and using it to fix other stuff.

I agree water purification tablets, never had to use cause i just boil water.

shoes - cured leather. - use maybe at start but after I crafted deer skin boots never use them again.

In fact I have never use cured leather.

What they should do is remove those items and add some other useful items like more crafting options for using rabbit pelts. atm I have a stack load of pelts and can only craft one item out of them the rabbit gloves/mittens. We need a rabit hat or maybe even rabbit boots?

I vote for cedar and fir limbs.

There are thousands of pieces of reclaimable wood available (literally speaking!) that can be salvaged inside safe warm houses - not even to mention the infinite amount of sticks and coal that may be picked up instantly. It's complete nonsense to ever chop limbs in my humble opinion.

The puryfication tablets are irrelevant as well ofc, but they save you some time at least. Harvesting limbs takes time and calories instead (and exposes you to the cold, the wind, the wolves, etc.)

No idea, but unless you desperately need some fir to repair your tools I dare to say it's always a bad choice to bother with limbs.

At least I for one completely ignore them since the Deep Forest update.

Sticks and coal is just the way to go for me now.

@Scyzara are you kidding? I love and always use fir / cedar wood. They burn for so much longer and good to repair your tools.

If anything I don't bother collecting branches as I can usually find enough sticks.

As for reclaimable wood I only bother collecting that to make snares. or emergency wood because it doesn't burn for long.

It's funny how each of us play this game in different ways :) that is good.

Surely Hinterland team have some sort of game statistics in play where they can view what is used least or most?

water purification tablets would be indeed more useful if there would be more sources of gathering dirty water, if you break the ice in a fishing hut you could gather dirty water from there as well...

right now you can only get dirty water from melting snow on a stove, and if u spend 20min for a liter u might aswell spend 10 more for boiling it.

the leather u gather from shoes could have more use aswell, if i cant find thermo boots early on in the game the deerskin boots are most of the time the first piece of clothing im starting to craft, the deerskin and guts are also easy to gather from the prespawned deer carcasses.

i harvest tree limbs all the time, it of course depends on the map your on, but on mystery lake they are always closer then going to the next building and get reclaimed wood, they burn twice as long and u can gather a good amount of sticks at the same time...

books are very useful in the beginning to start a fire when your firemaking skill is still low.

my least used item are toolboxes, i just always store them away next to the workbench but if i want to craft something i always forget to pick them up before, so i dont even know what to use them for, repairing the hunting knife works without toolbox in the current patch as well, i think before u needed one?

water purification tablets would be indeed more useful if there would be more sources of gathering dirty water, if you break the ice in a fishing hut you could gather dirty water from there as well...

right now you can only get dirty water from melting snow on a stove, and if u spend 20min for a liter u might aswell spend 10 more for boiling it.

+1

I figure cave could have an unfrozen source of water inside them, the only real source of non potable water in the game is the basin in the gas station and even then half the time the basin has drinkable water

Books, very heavy, limited burn time, no tinder out of them.

They need some other usages in the future.

Books have one redeeming feature - they jack your fire lighting probability significantly higher in the early game if you light a fire with one, and you don't have any accelerant.

Archived