Sprained wrist or foot

Greenbacks

Yeah... even the slightest incline is able to inflict sprains without warning - an RNG function as far as I can tell (though I'd love to know if there's something more to it). I managed to sprain my wrist the other day by brushing against the snow drift next to the driveway of the Pleasant Valley Farmstead as I walked home.

I'm pretty sure that is by design, you can randomly get a sprain and the steeper the angle the better the chance.

Well the affliction says "fall" and it's really awkward when you get a sprained wrist just from walking down a hill.... I have a feeling the game is incorrectly registering falls and giving out this affliction wrongly somehow.

Maybe I didn't explain well enough. I know what falling is like. If you go down a slope that is too steep you will fall, be it half a foot or many more. But just walking up or down a slope I have gotten these afflictions. You are able to walk on steep slopes without falling if you go sideways, like spiraling down a cone instead of going straight down. This way you don't fall in the slightest. But I still get the afflictions, and these aren't the only times it happens, just when it seems to happen most for me. Sometimes after I had walked up or down a slope it would pop up as if it forgot to give me the affliction.

Is there a chance you get these afflictions while on a slope, or something at work here that is by design other than just falling afflictions? If there is, then I'd suggest separating the afflictions from actual falls by changing the text under from "fall" to "hiking" or something similar. Also remove sprained wrist as it makes no sense.

• 1 year later...

It's so frustrating, Everytime I'm walking on uneven surface I get an sprained wrist or ankle within a few minutes. Please tune it down a bit. No one can be so clumsy. How would I have to walk more carefully? Walking on only even surfaces would restrict the player from many valuable zones.

4 hours ago, AvA said:

It's so frustrating, Everytime I'm walking on uneven surface I get an sprained wrist or ankle within a few minutes. Please tune it down a bit. No one can be so clumsy. How would I have to walk more carefully? Walking on only even surfaces would restrict the player from many valuable zones.

It really has gotten ridiculous....especially on flat terrain while slightly encumbered  (like 35kilos).

I got 4 sprains in less than one day hiking from one trailer to another through the snow. I wasn't climbing or descending....just walking, and the sprains were insane.

I like the mechanic, but I too seem to be afflicted more often than not.  I'm sure it's because I'm trying to keep elevation on Mr. Wolf -- hugging the edges of the terrain.  Sure does keep my heart pounding when I'm out exploring far from home and unable to run away.

On 19.7.2017 at 8:45 PM, AvA said:

Everytime I'm walking on uneven surface I get an sprained wrist or ankle within a few minutes. Please tune it down a bit. No one can be so clumsy. How would I have to walk more carefully?

The solution is pretty easy: Always look into your walking direction while moving on slopes or uneven surfaces. If you want to look around, just stand still for a moment, check the area  and only move on afterwards. It really makes a great difference. The vast majority of sprains happens when you move sidewards (e.g. W+A or W+D on the keyboard) on uneven terrain, e.g. because you want to check the area for wolves while you continue to move. The game counts this way to look around as "moving sidewards" which is associated with a higher risk for sprains.

I've decreased my character's sprain ratio by at least 75% since I've stopped moving sidewards on slopes. Being encumbered further increases the risk for sprains and should thus be avoided as well.

7 hours ago, Scyzara said:

The solution is pretty easy: Always look into your walking direction while moving on slopes or uneven surfaces. If you want to look around, just stand still for a moment, check the area  and only move on afterwards. It really makes a great difference. The vast majority of sprains happens when you move sidewards (e.g. W+A or W+D on the keyboard) on uneven terrain, e.g. because you want to check the area for wolves while you continue to move. The game counts this way to look around as "moving sidewards" which is associated with a higher risk for sprains.

I've decreased my character's sprain ratio by at least 75% since I've stopped moving sidewards on slopes. Being encumbered further increases the risk for sprains and should thus be avoided as well.

Now that's interesting. Do you know if just A or D also counts as sidewards move? I don't use W+A or W+D combinations. I still think I get a lot of sprains but maybe not as many as other players.

7 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Now that's interesting. Do you know if just A or D also counts as sidewards move? I don't use W+A or W+D combinations. 

I'm pretty sure it does, but I've never really tried to answer the question via statistical analysis to be honest.^^

7 hours ago, Scyzara said:

I'm pretty sure it does, but I've never really tried to answer the question via statistical analysis to be honest.^^

It's a factor I hadn't considered until you mentioned it. I will start tracking how my sprains occur to see if I can find out more.

This was the bane of my existence in the early going when first exploring the world. My technique was to start from an indoor location, then go out and pick a direction to walk in. I'd just explore that direction until I reached the limits of my condition, and then reload the game. Sometimes I'd sprain my ankle when I was quite low condition and no idea where I was. Perilous times! But those are the best parts of playing the game too.

Archived