The Long Dark -- One Year on Early Access

Raphael van Lierop

• Hinterland

To commemorate a year on Steam Early Access, we've created a little retrospective video for you:

[bBvideo 560,340:2o2qmn46]

[/bBvideo]

Thank you so much for your support over these past 12 months. It's been incredible for us to see the game evolve over that time, and to see the community that is growing around this experience.

We are honoured to be on this journey with you.

Devs are u still looking at public ideas because I have a few that might help...

1.make metal parts findable in car engines

2.be able to drain fuel from cars into empty jerry cans

3.scopes for rifles and other attachments like a bipod

4.make the bow a more essential part of your equipment instead of rifles and increase the rate of rifle erotion

Cool vid, but 7 transition zones? I can only recall 4?

Anybody with a list?

1 PV->CH

1 CH->DP

1 CH->ML

and

1ML->PV

what else?

I was wondering about this too. are they counting all the little bits? Like the second part of the Hydro Carter Dam?

ML > Ravine > CH is 1

CH > Abandon Mine > PV is 2

ML > Hydro Carter Dam pt2 > Carter River/Winding River > cave > PV would make 5

CH > Crumbling Highway > Abandon Mine No. 3 > DP would be 7

I don't consider the second part of the dam to be a transition zone. I haven't spent any time in PV since the new region dropped, I need to check if the Abandoned Mine got a number or not and maybe see if there is any changes at the "Long Curve" and the "End of Road"(End of Road will likely connect to DP where the broken bridge is)

Congrats Hinterland, you made it through Early Access! Not an easy thing to do by any means. Thought I'd take this opportunity to share a great article I recently came across. Although it initially came out about 6 months ago, it does a really good job of capturing how difficult and complex it is to please the masses, and the great approach Hinterland has taken on the matter.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/3/8139699 ... s-gdc-2015

Although there's no doubt the community has had significant impact on the direction the game has taken, I think the Hinterland team has done a fantastic job of keeping true to "community-informed development" and creating something that's really fun for a lot of people, while incorporating community suggestions that fit within the scope of the original vision. Job well done; really looking forward to the things to come.

Thanks for listening to the community and giving us a real say in the way the game has developed. TLD to me is the platinum standard for how Early Access should work. Not only do you have an excellent game, the way you're crafting and updating it puts nearly every other developer out there to shame.

For some reason I see 8 crossover points or Transition Zones.

2 - in Mystery Lake, [ Ravine to CH and Carter Hydro Dam to PV ]

3 - in Coastal Highway, [ Abandoned Mine to PV, Ravine to ML and Commuter's Lament to DP ]

2 - in Pleasant Valley, [ Abandoned Mine to CH, Cave by Deer Stand to ML ]

1 - in Desolation Point, [ Crumbling Highway to CH ].

3 - in Coastal Highway, [ Abandoned Mine to PV, Ravine to ML and Commuter's Lament to DP ]

Your "Abandoned Mine" to PV and CH are the same mine, so you've counted it twice ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Your "Abandoned Mine" to PV and CH are the same mine, so you've counted it twice ;)

:?: Is that not still counted as 2 Transition Zones? Coastal Highway to Pleasant Valley then turn around and travel from Pleasant Valley to Coastal Highway... Same as Mystery Lake to Coastal Highway then Coastal Highway to Mystery Lake. All Transition Zones are 2 way. If that being the case then I still see 8 Transition Zones. 3 in CH, 2 in ML, 2 in PV, and 1 in DP...... Looks like 8 to me.

:?: Is that not still counted as 2 Transition Zones? Coastal Highway to Pleasant Valley then turn around and travel from Pleasant Valley to Coastal Highway... Same as Mystery Lake to Coastal Highway then Coastal Highway to Mystery Lake. All Transition Zones are 2 way. If that being the case then I still see 8 Transition Zones. 3 in CH, 2 in ML, 2 in PV, and 1 in DP...... Looks like 8 to me.

I believe most consider a Transition Zone to be a territory between the Major Regions, and not the exit points. This gets contentious though in some places. Many still consider Carter Hydro Dam to be a part of the Mystery Lake Region even though it is a separately loading area with exits to multiple territories. If we allow this, then Winding River becomes the Transition Zone between ML and Pleasant Valley, and the Cave may be considered part of PV. But then there is the Abandoned Mine between PV and Coastal Highway; that is solely an interior territory and previously we assigned Transition Zone designation to the outside territory only. Abandoned Mine can't be defined as both a part of PV and of CH and it would be arbitrary to assign it to only one. If we instead define Transition Zones as territories that feature exits to multiple other territories, then Abandoned Mine is definitely a Transition Zone. But so are the Cave and even Carter Hydro Dam.

So what are the Transition Zones?

Carter Hyrdo Dam (maybe) (maybe downstairs then counts as a second area?)

Winding River

Cave (maybe)

Abandoned Mine (???)

Ravine

Crumbling Highway

Mine No.5 (maybe)

So as few as 3. No more than 8. Maybe.

• 1 month later...

when story mode comes out will it be something you have to buy or will it be like an update? because i will be a little annoyed it it is marketed as a whole new game. i used to play a game called elite dangerous and then came up with the idea to let you land on planets but you could only do that if you bought "elite: dangerous-horizons" which cost more then the game its self. that wont happen with this game will it?

when story mode comes out will it be something you have to buy or will it be like an update? because i will be a little annoyed it it is marketed as a whole new game. i used to play a game called elite dangerous and then came up with the idea to let you land on planets but you could only do that if you bought "elite: dangerous-horizons" which cost more then the game its self. that wont happen with this game will it?

Story mode will be included in the Early Access purchase, and in the Xbox One Preview Purchase.

Archived