The Long Dark Sandbox update — Desolation Point v.264

bethany

While I find the new textures very appealing, cars seem to have taken a turn for the worse.

Everything else appears to have received more details, but the interiors of cars look like one bleak mess, that has been drained of a lot of details.

Plus you cannot use the "Sprint" key to look out the rear window.

Not sure if that was intentional before, but it's pretty unnatural that you couldn't see out the back to check if that bear is still around.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay my first experience with the update. :)

Based on mellow_swe's idea I was trying to reach Desolation Point as fast as I could and I thought that before I start a new game from there I'll look around a bit. In minutes I got trapped in a car by wolves and a bear. I was tired as heck so I went to sleep in hopes they'll leave me alone. I woke up to a pitch black night and when I looked up at the sky all I saw was the black shadow of the moon. I froze to death shorty since the wolves were still around and I couldn't see anything. :D

Okay so some minor feedback:

- If I'm in a car and I try to place an object I get teleported outside of the car with the object witch can be placed WITHIN the car from outside. Then if I click on the car door from the outside I get teleported outside again like if I was inside. Not sure what happens if I try to walk away without clicking on the door agan or if I try to enter another place. :P

- The new all in one status screen is a good addition and only need some time to get used to, but MAYBE the status bars and the temperatures could use some contrasting backgrounds since at times the actual game view made it harder to read then needed.

- This is an old thing, but after getting trapped in that car and not being able to see all the wolves and the bare that I could hear behind me I kinda thing a 360° view from inside the car would be useful. Really don't understand why we can't do that. If the top of the seat is in our way then maybe move our head to the center if we pass the current allowed angles or maybe just give us a "look at the back of the car" button so we can look around from between the seats? Same could apply for the backseat as well.

Huh. Didn't even know about this. How did this work originally?

- Placing stuff is just sweet. You guys are awesome, but right now I'm getting greedy and am thinking about a "little" tweak for looting so I might post a new idea thread later on. :"3

Are you and your son sharing the same player profile, or are you attempting to access a save from his game on your profile? And yes, "A" is the correct button to load a save.

We are playing on 2 separate profiles or GT's on the XB1. I played last night and the game froze when I went into a house on Coastal Highway (got all dark at night and couldn't access any of the command buttons).

He played later and this morning I did get on the sandbox option - resume, new, load, and back. Resume and the only load take me back to his game on my GT by pressing the A button, but mine is gone. Since he bought the game I don't want to mess up his games as he's gone much farther than I have.

Going to try a new game today on a different map as we both picked Coastal Highway. BTW we did have a small circle rotating on the far right of the screen like the program was trying to do something. Not getting that this morning.

Thanks for you help and hate to be a pest.

Z

You got into the car and could only view around 180°, just like you can do now.

Then you hit the key for sprinting (default is "Left Shift") and released it again.

Afterwards the camera would move freely around the whole 360° until you left the car again.

Thank you for making it more difficult with the food poisoning. Not even kidding. It was too easy to hybernate when you could eat 8% cooked meat.

Now i get 2 out of 3 times food poisoning if the meat is under 50%. I even got at 55%.

Keep up the good work.

Then you hit the key for sprinting (default is "Left Shift") and released it again.

Afterwards the camera would move freely around the whole 360° until you left the car again.

I never knew about this function (turning head around for 360° by pressing SPRINT key). I liked it and wanted to try it: it doesn't work me :-( Sure this is working?

New upgrade is great in my opinion. I very much like the new user interface / inventory. It's great, that you now have things in one place and it's much more easy / comfortable now to work with your items.

The new area is great, too ... the idea with the ship to explore is really, really good and overall it's a very beautiful map with some really scary places. Still hope, that we get some more big maps in future, though ;).

The only thing that is a little strange in my opinion is that there seems to be much more metal you can harvest than wood -- at least at desolation point. I mean: There are so many fir trees standing around but you still have to search for small fir limbs to get material to repair your rifle ... ;-) ...

Overall great update ... was really worth waiting.

I never knew about this function (turning head around for 360° by pressing SPRINT key). I liked it and wanted to try it: it doesn't work me :-( Sure this is working?

It was still in V.258, but missing since V.264

I anyone else getting a completely black screen on Xbox One when entering or leaving the lighthouse? This has happened three times. i still get audio but the entire screen is black, no input works. I have to back out to the home screen and restart the system or start another game / app before I can access the game and load a game / start a new one. It also corrupts the save so that loading it in future results in the same black screen.

Is anyone else getting a completely black screen on Xbox One when entering or leaving the lighthouse?

The devs have mentioned there is an Xbox hotfix to fix that coming out hopefully in the next few days once Xbox approves and releases it.

Thank you! I couldn't find the info on the site. Excite!

Anyone think that the new aiming system for the rifle is awful? it makes tracking a moving target, eg a wolf running at you, impossible.

What new aiming system is this? I did notice I've missed trying to shoot a wolf about 3 times post patch but I just put it down to bad luck (I had a near 100% shot accuracy record prior to this!!).

In regards to aiming with the rifle the only thing I noticed is that the correction motion is angled more now whenever you move the barell and takes longer to adjust back to firing position. It seems more realistic for large motions, but it does seem a bit silly to have the gun swing farther then it moved overall, there is only one type of correction motion and it is a little silly to have it move so much as a result of such a tiny motion. Maybe there should be a correction motion for large movements and minor movements to smooth over the issue

Couldn't be happier for Desolation Point and forges and all that good stuff, but I'm in a bind. I'm on day 18ish at the good old Mystery Lake and I just made my first Survival Bow! I'm excited, but....Since they introduced forges you can no longer make arrowheads at a bench.

... dudes I just made my FIRST survival bow! Don't tell me I have to travel to some distant land to forge the almighty arrowhead. I'm on day 18! I don't want to walk across the tundra to forge something I could have made with a little scrap metal at a work bench! :o Honestly, I hope you guys see my dilemma here. Please fix this one for me. I've got the bow, I've got the arrow shafts, I've got the crow feathers...but no arrowheads, save for the couple I found here and there :|

Don't tell me I have to travel to some distant land to forge the almighty arrowhead ..

I've already "forged" arrow heads ... but yes, the only place i know you can do this so far is very far from mistery lake ;-) ... it's a great place in the new map, definitely worth a visit, but i agree ... there should be a place on every map where you can forage stuff like arrow heads ...

Archived