The Long Dark Sandbox update — Desolation Point v.264

bethany

FINALLY IT'S HERE! YAY! :D

Placing times? You guys were seriously keeping us in the dark with this one, you sly 'lil foxes! :mrgreen:

Can't wait for my work to end so I can fire it up to see if it actually lives up to the expectations.(He said with a voice so posh he wanted to knock his own monocle off. :lol:)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys I love you, I really do! Everything is so rusty, medieval, steam punk.

[spoil]Basements? Entry inside rusty ship hulls? Multiple Coal Mines?[/spoil]

The new map up to now is INSANE

Can't wait to explore more!

PS: I also love the new textures, glass windows, lighting effects and off-course weather transitions. I'll revert back with some notes.

still havn't figured out how to place things...but I just fooled around for a few hours...

Simply drop an item on the ground, and use your secondary selection key (Left trigger on your controller, or right mouse button) and you'll enter placement mode.

Glad you're enjoying the update!

For anyone still confused you use the secondary selection key on the dropped item. Took me a little to figure it out.

EDIT: Also, everything is looking good. Well done guys/gals!

awesome weekend of fun playing thank you.

Love the new colors and sounds effects by the way. still early days and lot more to explore but so far so good.

Though what I did notice is I started a previous run in pleasant valley and it seemed to lag a bit more than usual. Even the mouse seemed a bit jumpy.

So started a new sandbox run in coastal map and that seems fine so far. even found a fire striker in nearly the first building I searched == lucky me or there are more fire strikers?

I noticed a lot more pry bars as well, which is cool, can scrap them for metal.

can't wait to get to the new map to try out new crafting tools. pity there are no new crafting tools to existing one. ie. rabbit hat.

anyways back to the game for me :)

Really great update, especially the part about the weather changes and item placement.

Just ended my last playthrough with a 39 day streak in ML & PV. Got caught out by an extended period of blizzards/bad weather whilst out exploring. Camped out in the forest cave for 2 days waiting for it to clear, but after going out in fog searching for more wood, realised I left my bedroll behind, couldn't find the damn cave again. After another wait huddled by a wall with a campfire waiting for another blizzard to pass, night fell. I was left wandering around in the dark totally exhausted & freezing (never heard the spooky night music before, terrifying!!!). So I had to dump all my gear to keep moving, nearly made it back to pleasant valley homestead only to get attacked by a wolf and die from shock just outside in the orchard! Good timing I guess!

So the last update made the weather too random, making exploration very hit and miss with lots of forced to seek shelter and light fire moments. It wasn't very consistent with lots of bad weather and blizzards occurring one after the other. I didn't mind so much as I like a challenge, but there didn't seem to be a corresponding amount of calm stretches on balance. So weather changes definitely appreciated.

Starting again in ML this morning, graphics update really shines, will try out the new transition points once i've got established and killed fluffy as per ritual! Really looking forward to exploring the new area and seeing all the cool changes in action, another unique story of survival & eventual tragedy to follow I'm sure!

Wow i couldn't believe what i had hear in misterly lake wood-cuts area (with caravans). A night storm begun, i was out of because of some water smelting in burnt cabin and it was like storm is screaming deeply into the hills around...

Your sound architects are masters!

What an amazing update guys, just blew my mind so much new stuff! :o

I've had a break from the game for a while, since there was little more to explore, but a whole new region and heaps of new stuff is guaranteed to get me back playing it again :D

However - still no love for us wanting to play at other resolutions than our desktop? Did you guys hear anything from Unity how to solve this?

Love the new update and working my way towards the new area.

Had a question on the save function. On the XB1 is there only 1 save per game or 1 save per user? I've played a couple of games and haven't had the save option come up at the start screen. I've slept a couple of times and gone in and out of houses.

Love the new update and working my way towards the new area.

Had a question on the save function. On the XB1 is there only 1 save per game or 1 save per user? I've played a couple of games and haven't had the save option come up at the start screen. I've slept a couple of times and gone in and out of houses.

The game you currently are playing (Probably the first since the patch) will save per usual, but when on the main menu it will ask you to load a save, in which if you have multiple it will display the play length and area your toon is at. If you have started a new one it will be displayed also in the load area.

I gotta ask,why so much bloom?Every single game I have has excessive bloom that washes it all out into a big blinding scene.From DCS A10c to now TLD,I have to mod out the bloom.Please tell me I can just change a setting somewhere?

Also,I like the new icons but find the lack of actually knowing how quick I am gonna hit freezing status forces me to play the game with head stuck in survival panel.Leave a house and the first thing you must do is check the survival panel.This gets annoying after the first 30 times. :lol:

Could we please get back the words on screen to signal whats going on.Hear me out before you mental block this. :D In previous versions the words warmer and colder had no real meaning as to what direction you were headed in regards to body temp.Get out of the wind and it said warmer but you did not know that the temperature was so cold that you were still losing body heat.But I liked the words as it added a feeling IMO.

Here is my idea on using brief words that pop up onscreen and then disappear.Frigid is tied to 3 arrows,Cold is tied to 2 arrows,Chilly is tied to 1 arrow,Warm is tied to no arrows and finally Very Warm is tied to one or two arrows in reverse direction.At a change of temperature the new word pops up briefly.

The new update is awwwesome.

The new sounds are awesome!

The new icons instead of words on the screen are so simple and it works!

The weather transitions are so smooth that it feels so natural.

The graphics seems like it has been totally revised. It looks awesome.

Thank you dear devs!

Just played for 4 hours and slept for 12 hours and hit the quit game option after waking up and no save game option at the main menu. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong our is this a bug on XB1?

Sorry -- A little confused. You slept and then immediately quit, correct? There is no manual save function, so you wouldn't see one in the menu. The game does save every time you rest though, so your game would still pick up exactly where you left off.

Bethany,

That's what I thought. So before I quit I rested for 12 hours. Did get a load option on my son's game, but it won't load. Assume you hit A on the XB1 controller to load the game.

He actually purchased the game and I'm just tagging along. Wonder if that's the issue? All other XB1 games can be played by any one on the XB1.

I love most of this update, however, there is one change that I completely dislike and makes the game pretty much unplayable for me, and that is the new font size. it is way too small, I can not read it at all. even sitting less that 2 feet from my TV, heck, it was actually too small before the update, but I could work with it then. now I can't play the game at all. what would be great is if you made it possible to change font size so each individual could set to their preferences. some people might keep it small, while others like my self would prefer a "HUGE"text so we can actually read the important information.

btw, I am on XBOX ONE.

Can you no longer make arrowheads at workbenches after this update?

UPDATE:

Ok so i found out you cannot make arrowheads at workbenches(which imo is BS how can ya have something in the game and then remove it)anyway, so that's fine i have a pretty good base setup in ML at the CO, so im like ok i'll pack up some water food and other necessities and head to DP. So off i go long hike (but beautiful scenery) so i hit DP and collect all coal and scrap metal as im going, i head to the shipwreck to drop off supplies and stay the night. The next morning i head out in search of hacksaw and hammer, hacksaw i found within 30min. Now im looking and looking for the dam hammer but there is not one on this map, ive been over DP 3times and i mean i looked in every crack corner box ect... so ya thanx for removing my ability to craft arrowheads at workbenches, that just killed this run without the ability to make arrows its useless to even continue playing. So now i don't even want to start a new game if there is no hammer= no arrows= very short game play. Ya i could start in DP to look for the hammer first, but i love ML's CO its imo the best place to set up a base, very easy access to wolf, deer and wood,fish too if your into it, i have had a 600+ day run from here(on Voyager) and 175+( on Stalker) I know its still early access so there are bound to be issues, anyone else have this problem?

I understand there are a lot of people asking a lot of questions, but im having a game-breaking issue. At some point after getting attacked by a wolf in the cave in the new location added, the "Saving" icon on the side of the screen stays there forever. I sleep, leave the cave, come back, go to another area, sleep. The icon doesnt go away. When I quit the game and reload, im back at the start of the cave before the wolf attacked me, and the save icon is still there.

Are you aware of this bug? Ive put plenty of hours into the game months before this, and havent had this issue. Seems to have just started with this update, or its a coincidence. Either way, just wanted to let you know. I have no way to fix it. I even died, and I could still reload from the beginning of that cave. Very strange. Though this issue isnt happening on another save file, so its not entirel game breaking for me at least, but it would be disappointing if it happens again.

I understand the game is alpha, and im very patient with these things. Just wanted to make sure youre aware of this issue. :)

Archived