[solved] #2754 - v.265/v.271 Still crashing (low memory fix)

MueckE

Hello guys,

I still crash when i enter or leave buildings (the known one)

I always thought that this happens randomly but now i see a pattern :mrgreen:

In mydtery lake i can enter/leave about 10 times before crashing, in PV it happens every third time

(pretty anoying, i always try to save with an 1h sleep in a car or bedroll if i come back from a hunting trip)

Now, as i was crafting a few things in the basement of Farmstead, i never crash if i use the door next to the fridge and the entrance to the basement. I dont get whats the difference?

I assume the problem is my old PC (4GB Ram, Win XP, AMD FX 6300, GeForce GT640)

The thing is, it fullfills the system requirements and before the addition of PV i never had crashes.

Will this be fixed or do i have to live with that (because 99% of all other have better PCs)?

I mean, i still can play, but it would be nice if the crashes wouldnt be so often :D

TBH I think the recommended and required on the store page are probably a little outdated now and may need an update. We've added so much since that was put in that I believe the game is a bit more demanding than it was a year ago.

That said I do think you should still be able to run it with those specs. Could you attach a output_log.txt file when you crash next and I'll take a look and see if I can see if anything about the game is causing the crash.

You can find the log here: C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_data

Jeremy

Here are the crash files of the last crash of my current run.

The only place this is happening is in Pleasant Valley. I am now at day 50 (about) and spend a few days at the other maps (scavenging - loot). I didnt had a single crash in ML, CH, DP or the transition areas/mines.

It only happens in Pleasant Valley and now even more often than before the update.

Now every second or third time i enter/leave a building the game is crashing (PV).

If the game would crash in CH it wouldnt bother me :D but PV is my favorite map and of all things game is crashing there :(

2015-09-24_132956.zip

Response From The Tech Department:

"This is due to the game running out of memory. I expect they have not changed anything on their system to allow games to use more than 2GB of memory. If they google ‘configure game to use more than 2GB RAM’ there is a lot of information on how to make this change."

Hopefully that will help a little

Thank You :)

Thank you guys, seems that it works now.

I've added "/3GB" to my boot.ini. I testet it by entering/leaving + sleeping a few times and i didnt had a crash so far.

Now i can play again, thanks guys :mrgreen:

Great to hear - let us know if it's okay to lock the thread as solved

Thank You :)

can be closed, i didnt had a single crash so far.

It is most likely a rare problem (for people with 32bit Systems), but this solution to the problem could be added to

the list viewtopic.php?f=56&t=7888 here.

editing your boot.ini

right click "my computer" :arrow: "Properties" :arrow: "Startup and Recovery" :arrow: "Settings"

:arrow: "Edit"

It should look something like this:

[boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

:arrow: add ""/3GB" to the last line like this:

......partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /3GB /fastdetect

:arrow: save

(maybe you should copy the boot.ini first to have a backup

Archived