Killing Fields

random calliope

If you want dead animals to decay faster you will need to harvest all of it 100%, skin, guts and meat. If you leave some on then the decay rate will take a lot longer.

Take the meat I say (if its fresh) = food you will need. fresh = 80/% - 90% should be fine to harvest. (might be lower not sure)

By design, I imagine. In case you wanted to gather it but didn't. I guess they could add a "discard" option to prematurely remove them, with a time/progress bar to simulate the effort, but how many players would use it?

Leaving them may effect trapping, however. Seems to be maximum on how many corpses are allowed in an area. Traps will not work if there is not room to generate the corpse.

Generally I will go out and wolf hunting and leave the meat unharvested. They decay rate acts as a timer. As long as they remain in the field I know the area remains clear of live wolves. When they finally disappear I know new wolves have spawned. I haven't timed it to see how long that is. I think it takes about three days for the meat to decay to zero, as you can see from the rabbits, which were harvested every morning.

I don't know if it's a bug, but it may be an opportunity for improvement.

The wildlife will spawn before the bodies disappear in most cases. So not really useful as a timer. This also isn't a bug and is by design. If you leave some rabbits laying around and only harvest the skin and guts, then it will freeze and slowly decay over the course of a couple days. this allows you or a wolf to walk on by and harvest it at a later time. This can be useful for bears as they have a lot of meat and you probably can't carry it all in one go.

Jeremy

• 7 months later...

Archived