Crafting Exploit

Eudoxia123

When crafting an item, after you start and the wait timer comes up you can use A and D to switch between items and when the timer finishes you end up with whatever you ended up on, so if I started on the fishing hooks and pressed D 5 times I can craft the deerskin pants without having the resources to do so or using up the scrap metal for the hooks.

dang that does sound like an exploit. might explain how some gamers have survived for nearly 1000 days.

surely they are still running older version with exploits. actually looking at steam leader board 2nd place is at 3000 days lol. wtf.

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/305620/ ... ds/480577/

is this even possible and what the point of this steam global gameplay stats apart from detecting cheats I guess?

Confirmed. That's crazy. All other exploits are moot.

Incidentally, it should still be possible to survive to infinity without exploits using just rabbit snares (recraftable with guts) and a magnifying glass (no wear). Nakedness is not as big a handicap as you'd think.

That is indeed a great catch of an exploit, I hope they hotfix it ASAP

dang that does sound like an exploit. might explain how some gamers have survived for nearly 1000 days.

surely they are still running older version with exploits. actually looking at steam leader board 2nd place is at 3000 days lol. wtf.

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/305620/ ... ds/480577/

is this even possible and what the point of this steam global gameplay stats apart from detecting cheats I guess?

I have to disagree, if you play very carefully, very methodically. Play as if it were real life and really think out every decision, you can go a very long time. IMHO, the game does not kill you, ones own mistakes kill you. But then again I am playing Voyager mode. Well I have not started a new run since the last major update, but once you get established and plan every move, then it is your mistakes that kill you IMO

Confirmed. That's crazy. All other exploits are moot.

Incidentally, it should still be possible to survive to infinity without exploits using just rabbit snares (recraftable with guts) and a magnifying glass (no wear). Nakedness is not as big a handicap as you'd think.

I have 2 magnifying lenses, but Hopefully will have not need for them for a very long time

i went to my sons house, we are game shared via steam, he does not play TLD

He fired up Steam, i sat down and loaded the game and spawned at Camp Office, grabbed the can opener, harvested it, and its just as the op said, you can craft anything without having the materials, bows, arrows, clothes. Crafted anything i wanted with ONE piece of scrap metal

If i were a DEV i would delete this thread, major glitch---bug and for those of use who are playing for the longest possible run, and doing so fairly, a MAJOR setback.

Just my 2 cents worth

The leaderboards are completely broken anyway (because of hibernation-starvation, the sheer amount of rifle rounds and arrows combined with unlimited bear respawns, people using wolf fighting makros and the like).

I agree that this particular crafting exploit is certainly game-breaking as well, but - as we say in Germany - "Dieses Kind ist eh schon in den Brunnen gefallen" (a metaphor that directly translates as "This child has already fallen into the well anyway" and means "It's already too late to change anything about that by now").

Even if the Devs delete this thread, the information about the exploit has most likely already spread. ;)

The only thing that may help at some point in the future (e.g. at the final game's release) is a complete leaderboards reset. I'd very much support that.

IMHO these 'Leaderboards' are all useless...

I just don't get the Point in being 'better' than someone else...in a Game!

I for myself play Games for Fun and not to be 'judged' by a Place on a list.

For me a Game has to be Fun, not a Competition ;)

Just delete all that crap that makes so many People think they were someone 'special'...and forces hate...then everyone could play the Game(s) as they're intendet to be played...for Fun in the Game itself :P

Problem is people who hack the game are instantly going to screw them up again. Guaranteed once the leader boards are reset the very next day somebody will have a 1000 day run which is of course impossible in 24 hours of real time. I know those dudes think its cool but it just ruins it for everyone else. the best thing is to compete with yourself and your friends because usually the guy at the top is actually a loser.

...but it just ruins it for everyone else...because usually the guy at the top is actually a loser.

Right on Point!

Nice!

Thanks for stating that!

Then why have leader boards at all?

And that's the Point that abuses me the most...as I allready said: Just delete the Boards at all ;)

usually the guy at the top is actually a loser

It's important to note that respect and decorum should still be maintained. It's also possible the top place was not attained using hacks or cheats, and that the top placers simply grinded the high scores using legit tactics. Without proof or admission that a player has used hacks or extreme bug exploits, generalizing that any leaderboard top placed player is "a loser" is not appropriate. It's disrespectful to those who may have actually climbed the rankings legitimately.

I realize the discussion refers to those who use hacks to get on the leaderboard, but just wanted to make sure that readers (who may only join in part way through the conversation) don't misinterpret comments to mean whoever gets high scores on the leaderboards.

Hmmm....just thinking by myself....

...so you are Top of the list...claiming to have been able to survive for nearly 25.000 (twentyfiveTHOUSAND) days...

...and that in 43 hours RL-Time...

...and you claim to have coded a TLD-Savegame-Editor...

...HMMM.....

Let me think about that again.... :evil:

Without proof or admission that a player has used hacks or extreme bug exploits, generalizing that any leaderboard top placed player is "a loser" is not appropriate. It's disrespectful to those who may have actually climbed the rankings legitimately.

You are right Bill and I apologize to all those who have achieved high rankings on legitimate runs.

claiming to have been able to survive for nearly 25.000 (twentyfiveTHOUSAND) days...

Never claimed I did, feel free to proof otherwise.

generalizing that any leaderboard top placed player is "a loser" is not appropriate.

Calling any leaderboard top placed player with illegit score a loser is not appropriate, according to forum guidelines.

@Foxen: FINDarkside has discovered, tested and reported a serious bug concerning survival time here on the forums. To my understanding, this has been quite an ingenious discovery and a valuable contribution to bugfixing. The leaderboard ranking seems to be a mere byproduct of this activity, and it certainly proved the point. Never judge a book by its cover. 8-)

So this has gotten really super off topic. This was about a crafting exploit which has now be filed into the bug list and will get sorted out. I'm locking this thread as it doesn't need to continue. If you guys want to discuss the leaderboards there is a place in the forums for this kind of banter. Just remember to keep it civil.

Jeremy

Archived