Almost died with all indicators green

gwwagner48

I had neglected to eat and drink and was dehydrated and starving. I ate and drank putting the bars back to green, but then I heard my heartbeat and was at 7% and decreasing. All indicators were in the green. In panic, I went to bed and that started a recovery. Why did "fatigue" not show something wrong? The bed action was just a guess on my part.

Great game. Died after over 50 days while trying to cross the trestle to CH. Did everything and had everything (except bear hide) so I decided to go to CH. Bummer. Hated the game for an hour. At 50 days in CH now with one wolf hide and one bear hide left. Out of bullets! Going back to search everything again, otherwise I have to go to Mystery Lake and the dreaded trestle.

Hmm...

I think we'd need a little more information about your current state to be able to figure out what actually killed you. My first guess wouldn't be fatigue, but hypothermia...Though you say you weren't currently freezing (if all indicators were green), so I'm not sure. When did you initially notice your condition dropping? Did you cook or just eat something that already existed in your inventory, and were you indoors or out? Any details you can provide would help.

There is also a log we can check, but it's buried in some hidden files. We'll see if we can't just solve the mystery the old-fashioned way first.

I was warm and inside. I did not notice my condition dropping. I all of a sudden heard my heart beat and the 7% came up. I did not die, going to bed saved me, but my fatigue was barely showing. I both drank and ate cook meat after I noticed the 7% warning, but not before. Before this all happened, I was working on making wolf hide pants and rabbit mittens. Beyond this I can tell you much more.

Did it happen after a kind of 'little hickup' where the motion stops for a quarter second?

The reason for that question is that I've experienced something similar a few times:

Wandering around and periodically (intervals of usually 15-20 Seconds) the Picture 'freezes' for a splitsecond.

Just before something (important?) happens (the weather changes,injury occurs,an animal notices me or comes into my sight,anything like this...) the time the motion stops increases a bit.

It 'feels' like the game is 'thinking' about the 'next step'...in lack of better terms :?

Sounds to me it was either hypothermia or food poisoning.

When you stay cold too long you get hypothermia. You can then warm up next to a fire and have your cold bar drop to 0 ans still have hypothermia. You need to stay warm (above 0C) for 24 hours straight for hypothermia to cure. So it is possible to have all bars "in the green" and still have your condition dropping from hypothermia.

Food poisoning is also possible, but you would have to have gotten food poisoning from the last piece of food you ate. This will also not show up in the status bars and would also keep your condition dropping despite all bars being green. But, come to think of it, food poisoning should stop dropping your condition at 15% so it can't have been food poisoning.

Infection can also keep dropping your condition but you would have needed to cure the infection using antibiotics or reishi tea.

So from the information we have, it's most likely you had hypothermia at that time.

Hard to imagine that I had hypothermia since I was in the gas station for a couple of days working, but I guess that is a possibility. I will have to check my log to see what I was doing before I last came into the garage. Never got a warning that I had hypothermia though.

I was told that it's also possible you were suffering the effects of the exhaustion that can be a byproduct of hypothermia, which is why you saw your condition improve when you went to rest. The only other thing that comes to mind: The temperature in the Quonset garage is static, so if you're freezing before you go in and you don't light a fire, not much is going to change...But again, it sounds like all of your indicators were in the green even after you noticed you were at 7%, so it's still a bit of a mystery.

Beyond that, I can't think of anything right off. We can try to take a look at your save files if you're really curious.

Archived