The Long Dream

Manic Velocity

Posted this on reddit shortly after buying the game. Figured I'd share it here as well. :)

I'm writing this after having woken up from the most intense sleep I can remember, and I'm convinced it was due to my first play session of The Long Dark last night. I can't shake the dream. My office is closing early today, and I'm on the edge of my seat ready to rush home and start playing again.

I can't remember the last time a game filled me with such a deep, imposing dread. The vast emptiness of the world. Knowing... not just assuming... but knowing that I was utterly alone. That there would be no rescue. No escape. That despite my sincerest efforts to survive, I was only delaying the inevitable.

I couldn't help but be reminded of

. Faced with the reality that help would not come from elsewhere, no matter how badly I needed it.

That feeling of futility. It was... strangely... enjoyable. To stave off death for just a little bit longer. To find a can of beans, or a bottle of water, and have that wave of relief wash over me. Those tiny victories gave me so much hope, and ignited the urge to continue. Only to then hear that little voice in the back of my mind whisper, "To what end?"

It was amazing.

I had to force myself away from the keyboard last night. If I hadn't, I would not have gotten any sleep. It was nearly midnight and I had neglected to eat dinner. And as I settled into bed and kissed my wife goodnight, I could not stop thinking about this game.

In my dreams, I relived all the experiences of the last four hours. Wandering the bleak white forests with only my footprints to indicate my direction. I didn't know if I was going north, south, east or west. I just knew that I was going "this way". The sound of my breath amid the cold, bitter wind, and the echo of crows in the distance.

An abandoned log cabin offered warmth, a couple granola bars, and a bed. Respite. A reassuring normalcy to be surrounded by four walls and a roof.

As I regained some energy, I heard a muffled growl coming from outside. Looking out the window I saw a large black bear, scrounging the perimeter of this hovel. I felt my muscles tighten with a sudden burst of adrenaline, and a single word raced through my head...

"Food"

I drew my rifle and ran upstairs. Quietly sliding open a window, I aimed the rifle down and waited for the beast to circle around within view. A single, well-placed shot took it down, as the deafening "BANG" shook the trees for miles all around.

Racing down the stairs, my mouth was watering at the idea of a bounty of warm, cooked meat. This would keep me fed for at least a couple of days. And as I threw open the front door to reap my spoils, a voice from nowhere rang in my ears.

"This will not save you. We are only biding our time until the end."

These words gave me pause as I watched the bear heave its final breaths. The moist air escaping its maw created billows of steam in the icy air. And it was then that I noticed the steam from my own mouth rising in front of my eyes. I became calm, and my breathing began to slow, until I was sharing rhythm with the dying bear. I dropped my rifle and knelt down in the snow. I watched as the life faded from its black eyes.

I don't know how long I sat there. But eventually I was the only one breathing. The silence from the bear brought me to tears. And the voice came again...

"This will not save you."

I awoke to the dawn creeping through the drapes. Even hours later I can't stop thinking about this dream, and I can't wait to jump back into the game.

I've had my eye on The Long Dark for quite a while now, but was hesitant to purchase it as an early access title. Too many times I've been disappointed after putting money into games that over-promised and failed to deliver.

I admit that I was wrong to doubt the game and Hinterland Studios. They've created something wonderful. I'm not sure why I felt compelled to make this post, except maybe to say thank you, if any of the Hinterland developers happen to read this. I've fallen in love with this game, and I'm looking forward to where it's going.

I remember this story! I thought it was a great read, and I think I shared it around a bit as well. So glad you decided to join us here and share again! Welcome to the forums =)

And side-note: Read your feedback about handheld light sources. I'll pass that along!

I remember this story! I thought it was a great read, and I think I shared it around a bit as well. So glad you decided to join us here and share again! Welcome to the forums =)

And side-note: Read your feedback about handheld light sources. I'll pass that along!

Thank you! Happy to be here. :)

Archived