The Longest Dark: Traversal

Thundur

Before you read, here's a link to the Google Docs version of this story. Font and immersion is greatly improved: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X4T ... sp=sharing

If you don't feel like clicking the link cause of whatever reason, I'll post the story here anyway. Enjoy!

The Longest Dark: Traversal

Author: Thundurnatur

I do not remember. Reality sets in. But it could be too late before you've exhausted

all of the necessities to keep you alive. It's a game of chess that will never be won. You will never

be rescued. It's an inevitable death. But it is a test of endurance of the mind. What risks would you take to satisfy a need or a want that is not necessary for survival and quite idiotic, but could benefit you?

I walk through cold. The entirety of my world is now this. The life I had before does not matter.

One of these days, it will claim me. Like the unfortunate others. The only truly honest difference,

I will die swinging. I won't lay down and accept it. It may very well be a suicide and a rejection of peace, but this is me. When the day comes. I won't watch the sunset. I'll be sitting in front of my fire, or my bed.

Replenishing whatever I may. If it is hunger, I will sleep and drink tea containing 100 calories until I run out.

If it is loss of blood, I will not stop producing cells until it catches up with me.

If it is from my own stupidity, I will die with any honor I can. It won't be in vain. It will never in vain.

-

TRAPPER'S HOMESTEAD

-

There is something cozy, safe, homelike in distance. I sense it. It is abundant with good.

Food, and the ingredient to life, Water. A fireplace. Matches, Wood, Paradise.

A weapon, more like a blessing than luck. It is all you can depend on. Miracles, luck and skill.

Those three adjectives never go together that well, that often.

Day 25-30 or so.

I am sitting nicely. I love it here. I have a bag full of meat, 1.23 gallons of water, and 5-10 .338 rounds of bolt-action rifle ammunition. You could say that I should live out my days here. But even if I wanted to, it would be impossible. Even with semi-abundant rifle ammo, food runs dry quickly. Deer, and sometimes Wolf venison is all I can afford to rely on right now. Not to mention I need to keep my tools in shape or else they have a chance to break. The only way to fix them is to find metal scraps, and Fir wood. To close the deal of finding new, I take extreme interest in finding the legendary Pleasant Valley. The farm. I see it in the photo. I need this. My mind is set. No changing it.

Tomorrow I will move.

-

THE MOVE

-

Doing something like this is a daunting task to pull off. In order for everything to go in my favor, I need to plan much ahead, before I act. I'll first leave my wolf pelts to cure in T.H for the time while I'm gone. So when I return, they will be cured enough in order to be used to craft a wolfskin coat that has phenomenal protection from the bone chilling winds. I'm full, my thirst is quenched, well rested, pack filled with essential tools such as a storm lantern, hatchet, matches, hunting knife, sewing kit, medical supplies, and whatever meat and water I can fit, and my lifeline, hunting rifle along with some gasoline custom-made torches to fend off any wolves without wasting precious ammunition. The rifle is more-so for hunting or fending off bears, should I ever be unfortunate enough to encounter one. The timing couldn't be more perfect with the weather. 10 hours of daylight. Calm 3-5 mph winds. I take my leave on the perilous journey ahead, that could lead my own demise.

-

NIGHT

-

I make it to the next closest home structure. The Camp office. I obviously looted the entire place but the wind picked up so I decided to take shelter until it passes. When it does, Night has settled, quicker than anticipated. I'm faced with a choice. Leave the safety into the darkness with nothing but a limited torch and storm lantern,(rifle is useless in the dark) following the rail tracks to my next

destination, OR stay and waste time and sleep more with a lead on fatigue until daylight. This is one of the many but critical choices to make. Sleeping until morning might be the most logical option.

At the cost of eating and drinking a many of my resources in exchange for the safety of the sun.

No. I'm determined. I won't sit here and waste any more time. And so I do not. The tracks are barely seeable but I know exactly where I am. I have been following the tracks for approx. 7 minutes, which felt like hours, in complete darkness. The snow falling from the black sky, gradually harder, is the only thing keeping me oriented and able to see the ground. "HOWWWL WOOOVE WOF WOOWOWOOOOVVVE" "S*** f*** f***." It was inevitable. With reflexes of light, I flare my torch with a match. I don't hesitate. I look for it. Behind you. No. left side. No. Multiple. About 2 of them. The blizzard is intense. The roaring of the wind is blaring in my ears, the snow covering my field of vision. Too many things happening. I see it charging. I swing. Twice. Thrice. They both run the opposite directions. I'm half fatigued. What is my next move, I ask. I kept moving. Again for 6 minutes. Trudging, slowing. The wind and snow is overtaking me.

"Is this my death?"

Finding myself at the tunnel collapse. It seems I've backtracked... I believe that

being turned around and this unexpected bad luck is the reminder that I am never safe. No one is. You may be the best player, but as I stated,

death is a shadow who gives constant reminders, and will some day come. But my ignorance served a good lesson.

As the sun rises. I continue. making my paced way to my own current destiny. To the pleasant, or damned valley...

-

REFINEMENT OF COMPLETION AND TO PRECEDENCE

-

Continue...?

Archived