Killing Bear in v.256ff

TWM

I've taken a couple of shots at sevaral bears since the new big update, and I've noticed that these days, whatever the angle, the effect is always for the bear to rush me and maul me.

Is this a new thing (it used to be bears would only charge you when you hit it in the head)?

And if so, how does one kill a bear without getting seriously chewed up?

Should I get naked before I take a shot? (Not to scare the bear off, but to save my clothes)

Am I doing something wrong?

Because nothing terrifies a bear more than nudity. :lol:

In my experience it can take as little to 2 bullets if your aim is good (headshot) or as many as 5 if you hit it broadside. Yes, shooting a bear will make it angry.. my personal strategy is to only take on a bear when right outside a house. Then I can run in to prevent being mauled in between shots. If you think that's too 'gamey', don't approach one with less than 100% condition. If you survive the mauling, you'll be barely alive, so make your shots count. xD

I shot a bear at ML, took refuge in a cabin, and found the bear dead the following morning.

Generally speaking, though, if you aren't near shelter, don't shoot unless you think you can get off at least two shots before the bear closes to chewtoy distance.

I am curious how I would do shooting the bear from a limited access vantage point, like one of the leaning deadfalls. Can the bear climb up the tree like the character can?

I am curious how I would do shooting the bear from a limited access vantage point, like one of the leaning deadfalls. Can the bear climb up the tree like the character can?

I'd seen that advise too. I have not found a safe spot close to shoot a bear from; they can scramble up stuff by going around to the rear where you got up. I have shot one at about 100 metres from the rocks near the Trapper's cabin and it did not charge (I don't know why not). Instead it ran away. Perhaps it was a head shot. I later found it some distance away.

Okay, currently in CH, spotted the bear cruising the little town. Made sure condition was 100% in case the bear spotted me, got near a door, and decided to take a shot. Immediately turned and got inside to safety.

Except condition was now 65%.

Waited a while for the angry bear to clear the door, took another shot and got inside before it could maul me, and now condition was down to 30%.

Does the bear do damage from a distance?

• 2 weeks later...

In the Pilgrim mode I shot a bear at close range and he attacked and mauled me to 7%. I was surprised since I thought the animals left you alone in the Pilgrim mode. The next day the bear was dead, but I learned of this unexpected danger in the Pilgrim mode.

I have killed 5 bears, 4 with one shot. The other took two. So I believe a well placed head shot will take a bear down without being attacked. I have found the same with wolves. The closer you are the better the shot, but make it a good one or you are in for a lot of hurt.

There are several ways to kill bears. If anyone has seen the floor of my PV farmhouse base, you know I've tried them all.

The easiest is to lure the bear to a hunting stand or the deck of a house. The bear can not get on these. So, you can just shoot it at your leisure until it's dead. The bear can still maul you if you are too close to the railing, so beware.

One shot to the brain or heart CAN kill the bear. If you don't hit the brain or heart, sometimes it can take 5 or 6 shots to down a bear. (bullets and arrows seem to do the same damage)

If you shoot a bear ANYWHERE just once, it will eventually bleed out. This is the most efficient use of ammo, but the bear can wander very far off before it dies. There are rare exceptions when a hit will not cause the bear to bleed out (or other animals). That usually happens when the arrow deflects off the bear, even though there is still a cloud of blood on hit contact it isn't enough to cause a bleeding wound sometimes.

Shooting a bear anywhere on its body from any standing position from any distance seems to have a small chance to send the bear running AWAY in fear.

Shooting a bear from a great distance will never cause it to charge as long as you are far enough away. This way might be the most realistic and easy way to kill a bear. (shooting from a deck is easier, but extremely unrealistic that the bear doesn't just maul you on the deck.) That is the way I killed my first bear, from afar with a rifle and 4 shots. It didn't charge once. Boy was I surprised the next time I tried to shoot a bear from a closer distance.

Using a fire is also effective.

Keep in mind that a bear will not kill you if your health is high enough. I'm not sure what the cut off point of your starting health must be to survive an attack, but the bear will leave you at about 8% condition. If he attacks you again or you are low enough health to begin with, you will die.

Archived