August Update Map.

Fuarian

It will probably be put out end of august early september, but I am pretty excited. I hope it brings unique features. I feel like every map so far offers abundance in some supplies but a lack in others. ML offers easy food. CH offers easy clothing. PV offers... easy hunting/good base of operations? Dunno yet, it is pretty sparce.

From the little teaser it looks like there may be a small industrial park in our future. The last few seconds of the v256 vid teases at a new area... barely.

I love new maps! My favorite part of the game is explored areas finding myself in new situations. At 250 hours the current map selection is getting pretty well burnt into my brain. This leaves me feeling more bored than I have in the past, but a new map is definitely what will get me playing this non stop again rather than in it's current rotation (dabbling in like fives games right now lol).

A more industrial/developed map sounds really cool for a variety of reasons. I imagine it has the potential to offer a variety of unique gameplay situations, aesthetically it's something different from any of the maps we've seen.

ML is my favorite map though, I started playing with just ML and CH and definitely spent a lot of my time in ML. I tend to start my runs in ML, except the past month or two where I've been starting all my runs on random.

Some sort of industrial map that wild animals have moved into, like docks with a cannery or a lumber mill, would be excellent. Maybe a few houses nearby. Put it just up it up or down the coast from Coastal Highway.

Would also be a way to logically add in new animals, like wild dogs and feral cats. Lots of open spaces inside those large building, office space and maybe warehouse space with a few doors we could open and close (like on the porch @ the Homestead in PV). Areas we could climb up onto like catwalks, fire escapes, stacks, piers jutting out over the ice, etc. Some of those large buildings might keep you safe from the wind but if they are just made of steel and concrete without insulation... they are basically going to be large refrigerators.

I can't wait.

I enjoy random starts too, but it doesn't take me long to get my bearings and know where I've spawned and where to go. Occasionally I get mixed up between PV and ML, but not for long.

An industrial Park could be flatter terrain, but has potential for multi level interiors and larger spaces separated from the outdoors. Could really tax your lantern usage as well, depending on how much natural light gets in. Plus, more scrap metal? All the toolkits you could ever want?

I love new maps! My favorite part of the game is explored areas finding myself in new situations. At 250 hours the current map selection is getting pretty well burnt into my brain. This leaves me feeling more bored
+1
I enjoy random starts too, but it doesn't take me long to get my bearings and know where I've spawned and where to go.
+1

Just highlighting these fantastic points. I know quantity doesn't always outweigh quality but with this game some of the very best feelings I get is when I am lost and when I know there are LOTS more area etc to be discovered. I might've been spoiled as I only used to know that Mystery Lake existed and then I found 2 more main locations and of course the transition zones.

It does sound odd but when I am dying, running low on gear, lost (in new areas) and have hardly any ammo left etc... finding that new refuge is pure utter elation. No other game has given me this quite like this game has. Rock on 8-)

Very excited for the new possible industrial area.

...pure utter elation. No other game has given me this quite like this game has.

Can we just stop and revel in this sentence? This game is unique beyond any comparison. It's inspired me to get into wilderness survival so much that I even start my grill with a firesteel now. Just, you know, for practice. :geek:

On topic: Very excited for the new region, I hope it also brings with it some new feature (like pleasant valley brought bears). NPCs? Harvesting gas/batteries from cars (these are both visible in game as possibilities)? It could be anything.

...pure utter elation. No other game has given me this quite like this game has.

Can we just stop and revel in this sentence? This game is unique beyond any comparison. It's inspired me to get into wilderness survival so much that I even start my grill with a firesteel now. Just, you know, for practice. :geek:

On topic: Very excited for the new region, I hope it also brings with it some new feature (like pleasant valley brought bears). NPCs? Harvesting gas/batteries from cars (these are both visible in game as possibilities)? It could be anything.

That's really cool to hear! And we appreciate the praise, and the fact that the game has inspired some of you to expand your horizons a bit. That's so exciting =)

And yes, who knows what you'll be discovering next... Only time will tell.

I would imagine, at some point before the final release that an industrial area would have to be added to tie into the story mode.

Based on my observations and a few posts here and on the steam forums I feel that the story mode will be all about getting the lights back on and communications back up.

Cannot wait for the new map. I was trying to speculate what it might be this weekend as I was playing. I never noticed the little clue they gave us at the end of the last update patch video though. If it is indeed an industrial area, that would be very cool and offer a different set of challenges for us I hope.

I also have a feeling it will be the biggest map yet that will take a some time to fully explore. I'm wondering how we will get there. Probably from PV?

Archived