Navigating - how to?

Rylandish

TLDR: Do you have any tips for navigating? Can you use the sun or distant mountain peaks? Does moss grow on the north side of trees? Thanks for any help you can offer!

So, I know that most of you have at least the Mystery Lake map damn-near memorized (which I'm currently still on... haven't ventured to the others yet). But the thing that has hurt me the most in my playthroughs is navigation. I've definitely found that "when you're lost in the woods you walk in circles" adage to be true. If time is of the essence for any reason (freezing, limited food, getting dark, wolves nearby...) I might know what direction to walk, but an impassable hill, wrong turn, blizzard, or wolf to evade could set me on a course to end up right back where I started. I've wished so many times for a compass, though I know it probably wouldn't work because of the "geomagnetic event."

I've since gotten slightly better as I've learned the map a little more, but my navigational strategies are still limited to:

-Using immediate landmarks ("I know the frozen river leads to the lake... gosh, I hope I'm going the right direction!")

-Using a very rough hand-drawn map to remember point-of-interest locations in relation to one another

-Following map edges so I won't get turned around easily

-Trying (desperately) to keep track of when I make a left or right and how sharp an angle I turned.

-Walking over steep hills to try and avoid too many turns (I'm dyslexic so it can be tough to keep track of)

I even have to tell myself "out and to the left" when I enter a structure, so I remember what direction to go when I exit. Some routes have become easier than others. I know I can get to the lake from the homestead if I cut through Deadfall / Max's last stand but I still have to be super cautious that I don't get turned around. If I'm trying to go a little further, though, to the Derailment, for instance, I could try to cut a diagonal path there (which would be quicker, in theory) but the much safer bet (for not getting lost) would be to take my route to the Camp Office at the lake, and then follow the train tracks.

Anyway, before I enter a totally new and unexplored area, I wanted to see if I could gleam some wisdom from the seasoned veterans out there. I've heard you can use distant landmarks (mountain peaks, etc.) and the actual skybox itself to help with navigation. I haven't tried it as I worried it might not be set up quite so realistically in the game (i.e. heading towards this mountain from any spot on the map might get you different results, or skybox east-west is misleading due to the fact that this is a flat, square map in a game, not a planet orbiting the sun). Does this work? Are there any other techniques to find your bearings?

Sorry for rambling!

For Mystery Lake, pay attention to the mountains in the far distance - hint: for Trapper's Homestead, think of "Twin Peaks"... the mountain shapes can help orient you when lost.

For Coastal Highway, it's fairly easy because the clearest area will be the lake... and the 3 islands will give you a sense of where you are along the map.

For Pleasant Valley, the easiest way to navigate is to look for the furthest mountain ranges [edge of map]. When lost, head in the direction of the furthest end, and you're bound to hit the fields near the farmhouse of the barn. If you find the road fairly quickly, you'll know you're close to them. If you have to cross a big creek or river just to get to more hills, then you're in the back area behind them. From the ends, you'll either reach the farmhouse orchard or the star bale fields first.

Longtime players also use the 4 main bears on Pleasant Valley as reference points. While not "official" names, we use the following as bear reference points: Chester is the main bear (the one that visits the farmhouse the most) and lives by the river by the far side of the map. Betty is the one who roams the edge of the straw bale field, right near the "End Of The Road". Beatrice is the one who wanders right below Radio Tower hill, and Cubby is the one wandering the back wall between the waterfall and the Abandoned Mine which is higher up.

You'll also get to recognize where fallen trees are on each map - pay attention to which way they've fallen because some will almost act like arrows pointing which way to go for main areas.

Thanks for the info! It'll definitely come in handy exploring the other maps.

I gotta say though, compasses may be out but I REALLY wish I could do THIS: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-an-Analog-Watch-as-a-Compass

Maybe when/if first person gets 3D model / animated arms & legs, you could hold out your arm and look at your watch, look at the sun, and figure out what direction you're going. Wristwatch could be a useful item for keeping track of time during blizzards as well as this hidden navigational ability for the really savvy players! :)

Since its not in there yet, i'm thinking some may disagree with me, but I think it would be cool to have a way to make a map, maybe find a piece of paper or something. It wont show the whole map, but at least where you've been and where you are.

Bill basically said everything. Some people also drop items as they go. I guess sticks and crow feathers make good markers now.

Also dropped item, such a single bullet, or flare will always head north.

That is cheating lol.

Another important navigational tip that I didn't see mentioned is high vantage points - while it may take some additional calories and water (and it gets cold up there!), I often find it useful both in game and in nature! This will allow you to make those connections that Bill is referring to ("Oh, that fallen tree, the fork in the river, and my target are all in a straight line"), so that when you head back down you can still know how to travel.

I've heard others say that compasses will definitely not be a thing, because of the geomagnetic disaster. Personally, I'd love to see them implemented, but only sometimes work (and it's up to you to figure out if the compass is ling to you!).

Also dropped item, such a single bullet, or flare will always head north.

Wouldn't rely on that too much in the future if I were you...

How I imagine this to work: If completely lost, drop bullet to see where north is, then pick bullet up again.

I am me, the best player in the game... i do not use that tactic... its too easy for the game that is already easy... even on stalker. I use simple... follow tracks, mountains etc.

I am me, the best player in the game... i do not use that tactic... its too easy for the game that is already easy... even on stalker. I use simple... follow tracks, mountains etc.

I am also the best player in the game. But since this is a single player game, I'm the only player in the game, so I'm both the best and the worst player in the game :P

When I enter a new area I try to find vantage points to get the lay of the land and help with finding landmarks to use later. The watchtowers have been some of my favorite locations that I have visited so far. That being said I am planning on trying to make my own maps for each location.

Thanks Jon. I've used those maps myself. What I'd like to see and I think others is a way in game to make a map, finding paper or something, and being able to mark right where we are. Maybe for realism that marker can disappear as the time does during bad weather, but be there when its not too bad, thats my thought.

An ingame map is not a bad idea, if it's something that you "draw up" as you get to new area's. But it should never have a "You're here" indicator. Figuring out where on the map you are should be left to the player. You wouldn't mark you own location on a real map either. After a while the map would get totally illegible because your position keeps changing.

You wouldn't mark you own location on a real map either. After a while the map would get totally illegible because your position keeps changing.

You wouldn't?

A map is what, a couple of dollars, euros, whatever? If you need a map to get somewhere writing on it is a very good idea. Even if your position keeps changing, you indicate the direction of travel, and you would probably also mark down the time at the moment of observation along with your location while you're at it.

I've always been told that if you trip and fall and mash your head on some rocks, or something happens that impairs you, like fear or pain or memory loss for example, you could potentially have a very bad time if your map is blank.

And after your expedition you're left with a nice memento. If you go there again you just pay a couple of dollars or euros for a new map. And of course you can use the old one for reference, like estimate time of travel because you already objectively marked that down the last time.

You wouldn't mark you own location on a real map either. After a while the map would get totally illegible because your position keeps changing.

You wouldn't?

A map is what, a couple of dollars, euros, whatever? If you need a map to get somewhere writing on it is a very good idea. Even if your position keeps changing, you indicate the direction of travel, and you would probably also mark down the time at the moment of observation along with your location while you're at it.

I've always been told that if you trip and fall and mash your head on some rocks, or something happens that impairs you, like fear or pain or memory loss for example, you could potentially have a very bad time if your map is blank.

And after your expedition you're left with a nice memento. If you go there again you just pay a couple of dollars or euros for a new map. And of course you can use the old one for reference, like estimate time of travel because you already objectively marked that down the last time.

That's assuming you can go to a store and buy a new map, which in TLD you can't...

So you keep marking your position on your only map all the time and after 100 days you fall and hit your head. You wake up not knowing where you are and check your map. Now your map tells you you're everywhere... Even if you jot down the time and date every time you mark your location, after a couple of months I doubt there will be much room left. So unless you have a pencil and an eraser...

But I was thinking more along the lines of hand drawing a map on a piece of paper using charcoal from a fire, not using a detailed commercial map of the area.

I'm a little bit confused. You said what you think you would do with a real map. So everything I said was in reference to a real map, not a video game map.

Are you saying if you find just one commercially printed map in TLD? That would be a very awkward map, extremely small area mapped and void beyond.

True, I did say "on a real map". Had kinda forgotten about that already :oops:

I guess I wouldn't mark a real map, but then I hardly ever use a map for navigation other then when driving. And then there are always road signs to tell me where I am on the map.

personally if I was in the situation the game lays out and I found a map i'd mark where I was for a bit for reference once I got the hang of it i wouldnt need it as much, so the "you're here" icon i do not see as too bad a thing. If I'm making the map, I already kind of have that since the "you're here" is the end of what i've charted. I get the realism argument, and I agree this game is very close to real as can be, but I think in some aspects you really have to make small allowences to copensate for things just either cant be done or are not there yet. I mean, whos to say the map isnt laminated and i've found a erasable marker in that gas station lol :P

Archived