So, I think I've finally got the hang of things...

jason_myles

I've got a pretty good (for me) run going... 3 1/2 days and counting... and I seem to be able to do this more consistently now.

This time I spawned in the middle of nowhere, and had no clue where I was. But I was lucky: it was warm out (only a couple degrees below zero--I play in metric), the sky was clear, and it was early in the morning. I wandered around a bit until I stumbled onto the hunting stand at the frozen pond. I scavenged what I could, got my bearings, and headed towards the trapper's cabin.

When I arrived at the cabin, it was like I stumbled on a pirate treasure. I've never got so much loot there before! I stuffed my face then boiled 5 or 6 litres of water and slept till the next day. When I headed out, I still had 3 1/2 litres of water and more food than I could imagine. (However, no bullets... I didn't have the safe combination this time.)

I took the "scenic" route to Mystery Lake next, missing the camp office and arriving right at the the first set of 3 cabins. No pirate booty, though. They were pretty empty. I slept off my fatigue, then stuffed my face and looted the next 3 cabins. Again, not much to be had. So I headed straight to the camp office, looting only one ice fishing hut on the way, trying to avoid the wolves.

I grabbed what was useful at the camp office, warmed up, boiled some water, and got a lot of rest. In the morning I left and headed for the dam. Normally, I follow the stream, but I thought I'd follow the tracks this time. And I arrived at the rail road tracks much sooner than I expected... I turned around and looked back: I could see the camp office. I've been stumbling along the train tracks between the derailment and the tunnel more than a dozen times, and I've never seen the camp office before.... seriously.

Anyway, just before the derailment a wolf approached me. I tried to scare him off with two flares, but he attacked me anyway. I fought him off, but I was hurt and losing blood. I looted a couple corpses on my way to the dam, only to find another wolf camping the rail bridge. I took the long way around, but he ended up finding me again. This time a flare worked, though. I ran for the shelter of the dam.

I immediately did first aid and rested. I was almost dead (7%) but stable. I started looting the dam as quickly as I could, stashing some stuff I didn't need to carry with me in one of the lockers, but I wasn't healing at all. I realized that I was carrying way too much stuff, so I dropped it all (including my flares, my water, and my lantern) and went to sleep to recover. When I woke, my condition was better, but I was dehydrated. And it was 3am and dark. I couldn't find my water, or my lantern, or my flares. I searched and searched in dark to no avail. I thought I was going to die from my own stupidity.

Then dawn came and light started coming through the windows in the dam. I found my gear, rehydrated myself, ate the last of my food, and slept until I was healthy again.

So, I'm warm, I'm well rested, and I'm hydrated... but I'm hungry as hell... I'm off to the logging camp next to look for food.

Guest Alan Lawrance

Awesome story -- love to read these. I can picture you trying to find your way around in the Carter Hydro Dam without any light... scary thought!

Archived