My Impression of v256

Admiraldom

I played about 20 – 25 hours since v256 hit on Friday. I been playing on the Voyageur difficulty. Overall the game seems a little harder. I started over on Friday when the patch hit as I didn’t want to experience any bugs from my previous game. That game I survived for over 90 days and had a huge stash of food, clothing and weapons at 1 location on each map. I probably would have been able to survive another 100 days easily as I had almost 200 pounds of food. I also had 2 guns with over 30 rounds of ammo and a set of bow and arrows for each map.

My 1st attempt in v256 didn’t last very long. I was only able to survive for about 4 days before dying to hyperthermia. It seems like the temperature affects the characters more so than before. My clothing wasn’t very good I admit but I could only go outside for very short periods of time. I was never able to get a good amount of wood or food while outside and never found the gun in Mystery Lake.

My 2nd attempt lasted about 6 days. Again I was having issues with the weather and not staying warm enough. I was able to find a gun and some ammo but I died to a wolf attack mere feet from the front door to the Mystery Lake cabin.

My current attempt is going much better. I have been alive about 33 days now. I have not left Mystery Lake yet. I have crafted the deerskin boots, deerskin pants and the wolf skin jacket and the cold temps no longer pose much of a threat to me. I also have 2 guns and a fair amount of food. I also have a good supply of wood. I have not been able to find any birch or maple saplings though. I have checked everywhere in Mystery Lake that I know of and nothing. Anyone able to find any saplings since v256 hit?

Before v256 I would have fires roaring all day and night as foraging for wood was very easy and I wanted to save as many matches as possible. Now I only burn fires for to cook and boil water. I also found that Fir wood is kind of rare. I never burn it. I save it for gun, hatchet and knife repairs. In my current game I have only found about 16 pieces of Fir. I have used 4 for repairs and are saving the rest. Before v256 I used to do a fair amount of fishing. But now that wood is harder to come by I have not fished at all. I need to save all of my wood for cooking. I guess I could fish without a fire burning inside of the ice fishing shack now that I have much warmer clothes.

I do however like the change to foraging for wood. It makes more sense and fits into the game better. My only gripe about it though is it seems to burn slightly more calories than it should when breaking apart wood. If I spend time foraging outside or breaking apart furniture inside I go through so many calories that sometimes it is not worth the effort.

The one change that I do not care for is the change to how we use the lantern, flare and matches. I liked having the matches hotkeyed to “M”. I also like having the number 1 button for flares, 2 for lanterns, 3 for the gun and 4 for decoy. The new change to put all light sources on the 1 button is driving me crazy. I wasted 3 flares during my current games as I toggled through to get to my lantern. So very frustrating. IMO the old system was simpler and better. 1 button for each device.

I am also having a small issue with the gun. If I press the 2 button its brings my gun up. If I press the 2 button again to put the gun away it just brings the gun up again. How do I put away the gun?

Anyway I am really digging the Deep Forest update. I am also very much looking forward to the new map on the next update. Keep up the great work.

Am I missing it, or once you hit '1', is there no way to stop having a lighting option chosen? I constantly have a flare, lantern, or matches hovering in my view and the only way I've found to get around it is to throw and pick back up the flare.

Am I missing it, or once you hit '1', is there no way to stop having a lighting option chosen? I constantly have a flare, lantern, or matches hovering in my view and the only way I've found to get around it is to throw and pick back up the flare.

Press 'H' to holster.

Archived