.256 New Wood Foraging.

Fuarian

Now. I haven't played the update yet. But from what I've heard it seems as if wood foraging isn't infinite any longer. Now to me that's good but I'm starting to wonder if there will once be a point where you cant get any more wood.

Like you can't wonder out into the forest to collect sticks anymore because you harvested them all.

Also I'm not sure if foraging for firewood is the same as sucks.

Correct me if I'm wrong on the new system as I haven't figured it all out yet.

Possibly. I don't know if TLD has the capacity to 'respawn' certain resources such as sticks or branches.

Not totally sold on this to be honest. Fir logs are tougher to collect now (you have to keep your eyes open for large downed branches), and you probably shouldn't burn them at all, as they're needed for repairing a number of tools. Better off breaking down inconvenient furniture for reclaimed wood, and burning cedar.

Wood respawns after a few days, so there is still an infinite supply. You just have to go to different areas to gather. Sticks and cedar are much more common than fir, so you should definitely save fir for repairs.

Furniture and reclaimed wood do not respawn, so those are limited and you should save enough to make snares.

There is no way to gather cedar or fir without a hatchet. You can only pick up sticks and branches by hand.

Searching for wood changes the dynamic completely. Before I could horde water pretty early on. Now it become a chore to gather wood. Not to mention you just cant load up standing at your doorstep, turn around loaded down and drop the wood just inside the door. You have to find it and haul it. You just cant say, "Give me 5 hard woods please" and take an hour with a hatchet. You might search for hours and come with with very little hardwood for you efforts. Also if you happened to have some raw meat, you better have your wood stocked up or it will be rotting while you go a looking. This also completely change getting wood when you are in sticky situations, like back in a cave or standing in a fishing hut. If you don't bring it with you... freezing to death becomes a real possibility.

If you are playing Stalker, you also have to get the heat higher than the cold air temp to stop the freezing process. Hypothermia is a b!tch. While hypothermia never killed me, being stuck indoors for 24 hours in warm conditions, really uses up resource in the early game. Push yourself a bit to far in search of supplies and you can end up using more resources recovering. I now routinely strip the hide from a kill and gather some or all of the meat. I then retreat indoors, cook/warm up and then go back out to gather the rest of the kill's resources. Carting wood around to start a fire near a kill may not offer you enough warmth to prevent freezing, even if it does thaw the kill.

I have spent about 6 hours playing the game today and I have died about 5 times. My longest run was about 10 days. I froze to death about three of those times, died of blood loss once and suicided on Fluffy once (though he died too).

Last bit of advice, the dam is now a freaking tomb. Trying to stay warm in that place is like trying to sleep inside a stone crypt. One of the times I died, I froze to death near a stoked burn barrel in a sleeping bag at around 85% condition.

Challenging changes. Having to adapt is making the a whole new game.

in a way, i very much like this new wood dynamic... however... i just spent 3 in game days foraging and all i've found is sticks and branches that can be broken down into sticks. Fir wood is suuuuuuuper important now (due to the amount of burn on the hatchet), but i have found none in pv

@ justsomeguy.. I too am in PV and have found one Fir Branch, I didn't harvest it because I had a 80 + day run going before the update, and had about 10 or 20 fir in the farmhouse ready to cook up my next wolf/ deer combo or bear.. PM me if you need its location ( do not want to ruin it for the guys who are super hardcore), could be there for you as well. I may go forage it and see if it respawns, probably should do that, but for now I wouldn't burn a fir piece of firewood unless it was life or death

@ signal PICK up those sticks and break down those branches, you might be surprised how many you forage in a short amount of time, I accumulated over 175 sticks in just a few short forays from the farmhouse, over a couple days time

each stick burns 7 minutes, so if you burned 100 sticks, that 700 minutes, thats an 11+ hour fire

Hillbilly

If they have set spawn points like the saplings do then its only a matter of time before someone posts the locations of them.. In a way I kind of hope that they are completely random.. It would also be nice if after blizzards or high winds you end up finding more branches and sticks..

From what I've heard sticks, branches and limbs all "respawn" after an event such as high winds or blizzards.

If this is true then could I forage some wood in the woods right next to my home then come back the next day after a storm and find more?

Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

From what I've heard sticks, branches and limbs all "respawn" after an event such as high winds or blizzards.

If this is true then could I forage some wood in the woods right next to my home then come back the next day after a storm and find more?

Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I am stilling holding out in ML, working on another 7 day run right now. The weather patterns change pretty quickly now, so I can be sure if the downed wood is falling after a storm or just falling every so often. That said, it seems the weather changes to quickly now. If you are out for more than two hours, prepare for a change. However, that mean you only need to be able to hold out for a few hours for it to change again.

When did Birch Bark appears as a resource? Was that in .256? I ran into around Day 44 or so of my current run when I finally left ML and entered into the Ravine. When I first saw it, and its abundance, I thought the devs had dropped us the tea we had been asking for :o . Then I discovered it was just tinder material :(

Archived