Too strict conditions for remedying hypothermia

joki

V.256:

Hypothermia can not be remedied, if you happen to be below 0°C for a split second (e.g. when having to wake up each 11hrs to drink something), or it ignored warmth bonus of the bed. The conditions to remedy hypothermia ought to be less strict, e.g. allowing some time over the 24hr period for remedying hypothermia, or by having something like a sliding body warmth. Either way, I was in bed for 33hrs+, with just waking up every 11hrs to drink something. Without the warmth bonus it is -2°C, so the 24h counter is just reset (i assume), instead of allowing for some tolerance.

I didnt pay attention: does Hot food/drink help for hypothermia?

If not, maybe this could do the trick.

Hot tea and coffee will help you get warmer if you're starting to freeze. So, in the sense that it will help keep your cold meter down in a tight spot, it does help hypothermia.

As for Hypothermia, it's long over due and a welcomed mechanic. The same with wood collection. They both seem headed in the right direction. These mechanics actually make you think about what needs to be prioritized, such as whether to get wood or try to explore based on weather, and so far, even about clothing condition (you need to hit that "0" mark to remove hypothermia, or let you avoid it all together). The clothing, exploring and wood collecting mechanics have long been trivialized.

I have several suggestions myself, some visual bugs, and other things, but will wait a day or two as things sink in more before posting.

The debuff can be removed on Stalker, it's just a bit tricky. ;)

I finally healed my hypothermia by keeping a fire burning in the camp office stove next to my bed for about 14 hours (I destroyed all furniture inside the office to get enough fuel to keep the fire burning long enough, lol), afterwards I slept inside the bed for the last 10 hours without any fire.^^

I agree that it's a bit harsh that you can't remove the hypothermia debuff in houses without stoves, but I don't mind it at all. Quite the opposite, it was great fun for me to figure out how to remove the darn debuff (and thus venture forth onto a desperate journey from lone lake cabin to the camp office while I was close to exhaustion!) :D

Plus, one has to keep in mind that the whole issue about not staying warm enough most likely only happens in starting clothes. As soon as you're fully dressed removing the debuff probably isn't an issue at all because your crafted clothes provide enough warmth to compensate for the lower interior temperatures. ;)

I think getting out of bed a few minutes to eat and drink should not prevent you from curing hypothermia.

Keeping a fire going for 14 hours and then sleeping for another 10 hours is not too much of a problem when you've been playing for a while and got some food stored. But if you've just started a new game and don't have enough food to waist it on breaking down the furniture to keep the fire burning this is just a bit too harsh.

Keeping a fire going for 14 hours and then sleeping for another 10 hours is not too much of a problem when you've been playing for a while and got some food stored. But if you've just started a new game and don't have enough food to waist it on breaking down the furniture to keep the fire burning this is just a bit too harsh.

Well, I had actually just started a new game - my furniture destruction marathon happened on the second day. Ate up everything I had found so far in the process, but it was still great fun. :lol:

I also thought that Hypothermia was too harsh at first.

Now I am thinking that the illness is a good warning:

You can stay outside in freezing cold for a bit, but if you don't take measures very quickly, this will have some serious consequences.

I think that previously, we were able to play a bit too much around the border line, this is not quite possible now, and it's nice.

Well, I had actually just started a new game - my furniture destruction marathon happened on the second day. Ate up everything I had found so far in the process, but it was still great fun. :lol:

Then you must have been lucky enough to find a hatchet already. I wasn't and the only furniture you can harvest without a hatchet is crates.

v.256 is a great update, but I must agree that curing hypothermia on Stalker is a bit too difficult, bordering silly. After several hours of "feels like 45C", I should rather be worrying about heat stroke, but a few minutes of drinking while "feels like 0C" and hypothermia remains after +48 hours of recovery attempts.

If this is how it is to be, Stalker is not for me.

v.256 is a great update, but I must agree that curing hypothermia on Stalker is a bit too difficult, bordering silly. After several hours of "feels like 45C", I should rather be worrying about heat stroke, but a few minutes of drinking while "feels like 0C" and hypothermia remains after +48 hours of recovery attempts.

If this is how it is to be, Stalker is not for me.

actually, you need to stay above 0° for 24 hours. If you go below 0°, just for 1 minute, this reset the timer.

The debuff can be removed on Stalker, it's just a bit tricky. ;)

I finally healed my hypothermia by keeping a fire burning in the camp office stove next to my bed for about 14 hours (I destroyed all furniture inside the office to get enough fuel to keep the fire burning long enough, lol), afterwards I slept inside the bed for the last 10 hours without any fire.^^

I agree that it's a bit harsh that you can't remove the hypothermia debuff in houses without stoves, but I don't mind it at all. Quite the opposite, it was great fun for me to figure out how to remove the darn debuff (and thus venture forth onto a desperate journey from lone lake cabin to the camp office while I was close to exhaustion!) :D

Plus, one has to keep in mind that the whole issue about not staying warm enough most likely only happens in starting clothes. As soon as you're fully dressed removing the debuff probably isn't an issue at all because your crafted clothes provide enough warmth to compensate for the lower interior temperatures. ;)

You just need to keep from dropping below zero temperature (that's the "It feels like" indicator). You can do this by wearing proper clothing when you sleep, so that when you wake up you don't hit negative numbers. It's pretty neat actually.

When you first start out of course this is harder, and I completely enjoyed the challenge. It increases the need to get set up a bit and stabilize. It caused me to leap frog all over the ML map trying to get geared up, and eventually I just moved over to PV when I couldn't find the clothing I wanted.

What's important here is how it makes you worry about clothing and durability loss, as well as where you are going to sleep from night to night even after getting established. It's been more exciting playing this past weekend, as the old system didn't really put pressure on worrying about clothing, cloth, scrap metal, repair kits, and all those related items.

As an aside, this is why I also think it would be neat to test lower wood respawn rates on Stalker Mode. The density is fine when the wood does spawn. It's a bit too easy right now collecting wood from a single base though, and can be done naked a bit too. I'm able to go out, farm, get naked eventually, farm more, sprint back. This despite the weather acting up almost daily (the frequent bad weather is a good thing too). It does provide things to do, and it's much better than staring at a black foraging screen all day.

Still, it would be neat if there was a little more constant pressure (need) to get away from the safest bases, which in turn would increase supply management decisions. In other words, if you can't get enough wood from one base, it would be necessary to plan to move between shelters, maybe spend nights out in various locations and maybe even have to transport supplies back (it might provide nice choices anyway). The bear skin sleeping bag might also be more relevant then. Right now after the initial sweep, leaving a base is limited to looking for bunkers, the occasional matches or random supplies you didn't loot to avoid degrading them.

Then you must have been lucky enough to find a hatchet already.

Can't deny that.^^

You just need to keep from dropping below zero temperature (that's the "It feels like" indicator). You can do this by wearing proper clothing when you sleep, so that when you wake up you don't hit negative numbers.

Exactly this. I just want to add that I noticed that different houses now have different interior temperatures.

So the key to cure hypothermia in starting clothes might be to cure it inside the right building.

Most buildings, e.g. the houses near ML or the Camp office, are -5°C cold now (at least in Stalker), that's too low without a fire to keep you above 0 in starter clothes. Trapper's homestead is only -1°C on the other hand. I had no issues curing another hypothermia there, even without a fire. ;)

I'll monitor interior temperatures a bit further and add other -1°C buildings to this post if I find any.^^

My bad, looks like it's even +1 in Trapper's.^^

Most other interiors are -5°C and the dam basement is -8°C (probably due to the broken window, nice detail@devs).

Anyway, if you're in ML, only have starting clothes and want to cure your hypothermia, trapper's homestead is obviously a good place for that.^^

56ce1be96735b_hydrodambasement.thumb.jpg

Thanks for pointing that out Scyzara! I got hypothermia again yesterday and didn't feel like burning through all the fuel I'd gathered so I set out for Trapper's. On the way there I found two maple saplings, then in the save in Trapper's I found a premium winter coat! Yes! After repairing the coat, I went from a +4C warmth bonus to +8C!

After the hypothermia wore off I set out to the lone cabin and from there to the lookout to try and find a rifle. The area between Trapper's and the Unnamed Pond is littered with sticks, branches and tree limbs. Most limbs are cedar but I found at least 3 fir limbs! I also found 5 of the saplings needed for arrows so even though I didn't find a rifle yet, I will have a bow and arrows in a couple of days. Things are definitely looking up!

This condition modifier is too easy to work around. Staying in a warmer shelter means you dont have to have a fire going at all which is not how you would fight hypothermia in winter.

The 24 hour of constant warmth is also poorly implemented.

The length of time you need to stay warm should be only about 12 hours as that is how long it would take you to recover from hypothermia. You should also not sleep during that time which is the opposite of how you pass the time in TLD fighting it.

Going outside or even staying inside but having your fire go out and putting you below zero resets the metric again a full 24 hours. Really bad implementation.

The way it should work, is once you stop freezing you start the recovery clock on hypothermia. The whole increased fatigue effect works to keep you from just enduring hypothermia forever in game but 24 hours is a long time to have to keep above zero degrees. In the early days you simply can't get enough wood without being unable to provide other resources.

You could still get cold, or be cold as long as you aren't freezing and your hypothermia clock should not reset unless you start "freezing" again.

Also there should be a shivering effect while you start to freeze, and get cold, only after you have hypothermia and a condition under 50% due to freezing should shivering stop and your condition rapidly deteriorate. This sort of severe hypothermia is the lethal kind.

Hypothermia later on is just s nuisance but not a real threat unless combined with other layered conditions.

Still it is better than before the previous build.

Archived