Will July update End our current runs?

Hillbilly

Heard lots of changes to the UI, the crafting system and wood gathering system.

Just wondering if the update will end our current run?

Off to a good start in latest run, and no biggie if it does, but would like to know if I should play it safe or not, any input appreciated

With the sheer number of changes, I'd say you're WAY better off finishing your current run before updating. Completely new stuff is one thing, but given that this update is supposed to overhaul some core features, I don't see it working very well on old saves. I don't know for sure about the other major changes Raphael mentioned elsewhere, but the weather system sounds like something that's going to really mess up an older save, if nothing else will.

I'm pretty much done with my current run, and am just waiting for the update to come out before starting a new one.

I absolutely agree with Golden... so much is changed and added in the update, it's best to start a fresh run if you want to make sure your run is compatible with all the new settings and added stuff. You're also more likely to get a cleaner fresh run with fewer game killer bugs using a fresh start.

I was worried that the new update would introduce a change that could particularly break a very long play through and it seems I might be right. Good thing I had prescience to switch my Steam client to "Offline" mode so the game cannot update itself until I'm done with current play through.

I'm really not liking the look of the new wood gathering mechanic at all. :( We will not be able to harvest fir and cedar anymore?! We're now reduced to smashing up our homes and foraging outside on the ground for branches (which might be finite) like a beachcomber in a land that reeks of trees when you have an axe?! :o I feel this change is an utterly daft one, but at least on one bright note I can now hopefully smash up that sodding tipped over chair in the middle of the PV farmhouse kitchen that I constantly kept walking into when it was dark. :lol:

The team did their best to ensure your current runs will be viable, and we haven't had any reports to the contrary so far, but we obviously can't guarantee this 100%.

With the "big" updates, I always recommend players either wrap up their current run or disable auto updates until they're ready to start a new game. The changes in this update are significant enough to make this feel like a new game (to me), so it might be worth starting another run just to experience things from a fresh perspective.

I will certainly give the game another go with new update once I feel I'm done and dusted with my current run only because I'm enjoying it too much and want to hit 1000+ days (which has been a long slog) without the new update fundamentally effecting it before I retire (suicide) it. This isn't because I'm trying to be precious with my own personal play, but because I'm genuinely concerned about the current direction the game design appears to be going.

One example, replacing the "colder" and "warmer" temperature dialogue in the UI with the current dialogue. Really?! Just because some people playing the game at E3 were that dimwitted enough to confuse temperature variance with an old parlor game?! And it's now been replaced by a dialogue that's even more ambiguous. :( That was a bad design choice!

I hope I'm proven wrong, but this is the first time I've felt a red flag run up over this game.

There is nothing "dimwitted" or "daft" about the update.

I to was skeptical about it, but after playing a few hours the WHOLE update is a vast improvement

The graphics are AMAZING, from the snow to the sunrises and sunsets, ambient sounds, MAJOR improvement. The colors are more vivid in daylight, more "creature" sounds. You can "move" a fire, with a torch, yep there is that option, might come in handy when one is low on matches and can get a fire lit outside with the magnifying glass and move it inside don't you think?

As far as the " colder-warmer" dialogue, It has simply been replaced by a small "icon" that shows whether or not you are blocked from the current wind direction.

Hinterland is trying and will be successful in the pc world and X box one world, so whats wrong with them replacing a rather large "COLDER-WARMER" dialogue, with a very unobtrusive small icon? I dont know if it just me, but I want my monitor as clutter free as possible so I can get immersed in the game

As far as the wood gathering goes, this was my major concern. The cedar and fir are still there, but there is no option to forage them by hand, and the fir seems rare from what i have seen, But if you get out and walk around a bit you will find many sticks and branches, that you just pick up. I had 163 in just a few short jaunts around base camp, and they respawn, frequently, maybe not the same place, but from what I can tell pretty close to the same area.

Each stick will burn 7 minutes.

So do the math

100 sticks will burn 700 minutes which is over 11 hours, so if your like me and only lite a fire every few days, and cook lots of meat and boil gallons of water with that one fire, then you will have no problem having enough fuel for a 10 to 15 or more hour fire. But you have to get off the porch and go get them, which is what you would have to do in a real life survival situation

Bear in mind, there is no more " hand foraging wood", and each limb you find yields 3 cedar logs and a tinder plug ( I have only located 1 fir limb since the update and didnt harvest it because i had some stashed at my camps, so cant tell you the exact yield of fir limbs) I would not burn a fir piece of wood now unless it was life or death situation. As you well know they are needed to repair your tools

But just like before if you chopped wood with the hatchet you lost 2 or 3 % of the hatchet life, SO be happy and pick up the sticks and save the hatchet for true emergencies.

Great update Hinterland, and really looking forward to the new region next month !!!

There is nothing "dimwitted" or "daft" about the update.

I to was skeptical about it, but after playing a few hours the WHOLE update is a vast improvement

The graphics are AMAZING, from the snow to the sunrises and sunsets, ambient sounds, MAJOR improvement. The colors are more vivid in daylight, more "creature" sounds. You can "move" a fire, with a torch, yep there is that option, might come in handy when one is low on matches and can get a fire lit outside with the magnifying glass and move it inside don't you think?

As far as the " colder-warmer" dialogue, It has simply been replaced by a small "icon" that shows whether or not you are blocked from the current wind direction.

Hinterland is trying and will be successful in the pc world and X box one world, so whats wrong with them replacing a rather large "COLDER-WARMER" dialogue, with a very unobtrusive small icon? I dont know if it just me, but I want my monitor as clutter free as possible so I can get immersed in the game

As far as the wood gathering goes, this was my major concern. The cedar and fir are still there, but there is no option to forage them by hand, and the fir seems rare from what i have seen, But if you get out and walk around a bit you will find many sticks and branches, that you just pick up. I had 163 in just a few short jaunts around base camp, and they respawn, frequently, maybe not the same place, but from what I can tell pretty close to the same area.

Each stick will burn 7 minutes.

So do the math

100 sticks will burn 700 minutes which is over 11 hours, so if your like me and only lite a fire every few days, and cook lots of meat and boil gallons of water with that one fire, then you will have no problem having enough fuel for a 10 to 15 or more hour fire. But you have to get off the porch and go get them, which is what you would have to do in a real life survival situation

Bear in mind, there is no more " hand foraging wood", and each limb you find yields 3 cedar logs and a tinder plug ( I have only located 1 fir limb since the update and didnt harvest it because i had some stashed at my camps, so cant tell you the exact yield of fir limbs) I would not burn a fir piece of wood now unless it was life or death situation. As you well know they are needed to repair your tools

But just like before if you chopped wood with the hatchet you lost 2 or 3 % of the hatchet life, SO be happy and pick up the sticks and save the hatchet for true emergencies.

Great update Hinterland, and really looking forward to the new region next month !!!

Well said @hillbilly- btw I found two fir/fur branches near trappers hut hill, I got 4 logs and one tinder from each branch.

Archived