Stereophonic (3D) Sound

ArrayKnight

One technology that I've been really interested in (in conjunction with the Oculus Rift) is binaural microphones. I have been wanting to play with this technology in passive (movie) and interactive (game) environments. I feel like the level of immersion would be that much greater, especially in a first person game. Imagine the prompts ("I'm starving, gotta find food") sounding like it came out of your own head. Or as you're walking through the snow, not only can you hear that you're being stalked, but know from exactly which direction and approximately what distance. Also, imagine portions of the experience where your senses are confused by some outside source (ex: poisoning, a blow to the head, exhaustion) and having the effect be an early warning sign. Why is my hearing becoming muffled/overly sensitive? Am I ill? Or tired? Migraine? There's all sorts of possibilities.

Could the Hinterland team see making this part of their game?

Example experience (headphones required):

[bBvideo 560,340:tunvagel]

[/bBvideo]

Example microphone:

http://3diosound.com/index.php

Well, they've announced a strategic partnership with Razer, who already has a really swank software solution for making a standard pair of headphones sound like a 7.1 surround system, and it works really well (although I'm sure it's a YMMV situation depending on how much you have to target their API and all): http://www.razerzone.com/surround

I figure that's going to help quite a bit to make the sound very lifeike. Binaural recording really is cool if done right, though, I gotta admit. Will be interested to see how they go about integrating the sound into the fiction/experience.

Guest Alan Lawrance

ArrayKnight + Xopher,

Yes, the Razer Surround technology emulates a 7.1 surround sound system using stereo headphones. The only thing that is required by The Long Dark is that we output 7.1 surround sound. There is a Razer executable that does all the work to make stereo headphones sound like a 7.1 surround sound system.

Audio is a huge focus for The Long Dark -- we firmly believe it is one of the most important elements of the game. That is the reason why we partnered with Razer -- we want to give our customers the best audio experience possible.

I'll let our audio director provide more details, but I did want to mention that 3D sounds are going to be more than just background ambiance. Hearing and interpreting audio cues is going to be important for surviving in The Long Dark!

Thanks for that video link ArrayKnight -- I had not seen/heard that before, and it was very cool!

Example experience (headphones required)

Everything sounds like it is behind my back. But this is still far better than the Razer demos.

Also, did Luigi put a plastic bag on his customer's head? He did, didn't he? That's not cool. Not cool at all.

We're looking into a few things to try and provide the best audio experience possible. Razer Surround is one tool, but we are also looking at systems to create realistic audio environments similar to the Battlefield series. Without all the explosions and gun fights of course. If you hear an animal and and it's in a forested area then the sound should be processed so that it sounds like it's in a forest and not in an open field.

Another example: (warning: odd and little twisted)

[/bBvideo]

Why does these all have bad accents?

Everything sounds like it is behind my back. But this is still far better than the Razer demos.

Also, did Luigi put a plastic bag on his customer's head? He did, didn't he? That's not cool. Not cool at all.

Yea, it does seem like things in front of you are harder to pick up. I wonder why that would be.

And yea Luigi has some questionable business practices.

I really like how whispers (especially after a silence) can be terrifically unnerving.

Dalec, I am aware of Psyko, but the problem there is we can't rely on a user having those headphones. Our best approach is to use technology that most players will have be able to access.

• 1 month later...

I looked through the forum to see if there was a 3D sound thread to post the virtual barber video and lo and behold it was the first thing linked in the thread! I am supper excited to see how the Razer software works in TLD, hearing footsteps in the snow behind you could be very unnerving...

hearing footsteps in the snow behind you could be very unnerving...

That could be very unsettling -- but you can also play the game indoors where it's warmer.

Note To Self: Will have to try playing TLD outside in the winter to see if the cold air adds an additional atmospheric enhancement of realism...

WOW In the Barbers shop, the door knocks scared the absolute crap out of me lol

Wartapes? I have not heard of this before, what is it?

@Dave_Hinterland Basically its RTL sounds being recorded and implemented into the game, instead of Digitally made sounds for the game, in a nutshell . . . . .

[/bBvideo]

What are War Tapes Option

Wartapes Explained ~ Steam

@Dave_Hinterland Basically its RTL sounds being recorded and implemented into the game, instead of Digitally made sounds for the game, in a nutshell . . . . .

• 1 month later...

Okay, they are trying to simulate a recording through a mic. I guess that's how most people have heard the sounds of war so it kind of makes sense. I prefer the "hifi" version as it's actually more realistic to being there.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Another example: (warning: odd and little twisted)

[bBvideo 560,340:2o28pcsb]

[/bBvideo]

Why does these all have bad accents?

Yea, it does seem like things in front of you are harder to pick up. I wonder why that would be.

And yea Luigi has some questionable business practices.

I really like how whispers (especially after a silence) can be terrifically unnerving.

Very impressive...

Archived