So sleeping naked does pay after all?

ChillPlayer

I thought this was changed before I even began playing the game last year, but it seems that if you are going to eat/sleep for a longer period you should put your cloth into a cabinet or something. After 7 days my wolf coat only lost 1% condition, whereas when I sleep with the coat on it loses like 1% per 12 hours. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes,my frend...it is exactly,how you described. :) Also,if you place clothes on the floor,their degrade percentage is somewhere between placing them in containers and wearing them whille sleeping.

Degrading of clothing goes from more to less in kinda this order:

1.Most degrade effect on your clothing has blizzard outside

2.Second higher effect has heavy wind

3.Wearing them whille sleeping

4.Placing them on the floor

5.Save them in containers

I have this strategy to perserve my clothes already for long time:

I have one main set of clothes(all crafted clothing,scarf,hat,underwear),which I use for longer trips and exploring outside,sometimes also when I go hunt more animals than one or bear.When I am indoors,I wear lootable clothes and I wear them untill they rip appart,then I harvest them.I don`t harvest all clothes I loot right away,but I rather harvest them,when I need cloths.So,I do foraging outside base,boiling water,cooking meat and sleeping-all in lootable clothing,my main clothes I keep in a closet in meanwhille.This way I perserve main clothes for longer time. :)

Do keep in mind that in some houses the temperature is below 0C so sleeping with no clothes on in a bed that doesn't provide enough warmth is a bad idea. Also if you spend the day crafting, be sure to wear enough clothes to not freeze.

I have pretty much the same strategy as Denyo when it comes to clothes. But I will sleep in my outdoors clothes if I plan to go out the next day, or possibly take them off but not storing them in a container. I find it takes too much time to take off/ put on and putting the clothes into/ getting them out a container all the time. I only do that if I intend to spend some time indoors (like when you have everything you need and maybe plan on doing some crafting for a few days).

Chill Player and Denyo come through again! A handful of you are incredibly helpful to us scrubs with your knowledge AND clear explanations. Kudos and thanks...again.

Thanx for your praise,Nemesis. :D I just want to help players to better understand game and really enjoy in it rather,than have frustration times coz of - mainly - wolves and hostile enviroment.I am aware that there is many many players,who knows game and understand it better ,than I do.I like to help and I do that as far as I can. :)

Keep enjoying this beautyfull game. :)

I have heard that this USED to be a mechanic, but it no longer is in my opinion. I have tested this extensively and sleeping in clothing does NOT degrade your clothing faster than storing it in a container to my knowledge.

Steps of a Test that I have done over periods of weeks and multiple times to confirm this theory in game:

1. Take an item of clothing off and put it in storage container

2. have enough meat/water to sleep for weeks.

3. sleep for many 11 hour sessions back to back, adding up to weeks, while wearing clothing.

4. compare condition loss of clothing

5. exact same condition loss rate whether wearing it or in a storage container.

I stream on Twitch and you can catch me streaming TLD almost every day and/or night. If you disagree in my assessment of clothes deterioration, come watch and I will prove it to you live :D I'm about 99% sure I am correct but if I am wrong you can humiliate me on live television :o

The only things that I have found that degrade faster while sleeping are meat and matches. I always store those in containers before sleeping, even if it's just for a few hours. Some other packaged food may deteriorate faster if it is on you when you sleep but I'm not sure.

I have heard that this USED to be a mechanic, but it no longer is in my opinion. I have tested this extensively and sleeping in clothing does NOT degrade your clothing faster than storing it in a container to my knowledge.

Steps of a Test that I have done over periods of weeks and multiple times to confirm this theory in game:

1. Take an item of clothing off and put it in storage container

2. have enough meat/water to sleep for weeks.

3. sleep for many 11 hour sessions back to back, adding up to weeks, while wearing clothing.

4. compare condition loss of clothing

5. exact same condition loss rate whether wearing it or in a storage container.

I stream on Twitch and you can catch me streaming TLD almost every day and/or night. If you disagree in my assessment of clothes deterioration, come watch and I will prove it to you live :D I'm about 99% sure I am correct but if I am wrong you can humiliate me on live television :o

The only things that I have found that degrade faster while sleeping are meat and matches. I always store those in containers before sleeping, even if it's just for a few hours. Some other packaged food may deteriorate faster if it is on you when you sleep but I'm not sure.

When I read this reply of yours,I went into my game and did testing again,as my results were quite different from those you get.

I did wear one set of socks,pants,jacket and underwear at condition 100% and one set of same type of socks,pants,jacket and underwear I stored in container.That was in Farmstead on PV map.As I had just killed a bear,I did not need to go out,so I did only indoors activities and sleeping,so no wind or blizzard could affect on my clothes,but only wearing them and sleeping.

And result after 6 days was: Clothing,I was wearing,dropped down for 4% condition,all the same(to 96%),and those,I had stored in container,dropped for 2%(to 98%).It is not much difference,but still.On long run effect has bigger meaning.

I think every player should test and compare storing clothing by himself,so he can get reliable infos from first hand.Only by your own experiences you can then act and set your strategy. :)

If you really want to know if sleeping in your clothes has a greater degradation rate than storing them in a container, you should not do indoor activities at all. Just eat, drink and sleep. It could be there is a different rate for sleeping, being awake doing nothing and doing indoor activities. Although I have to admit that I would expect Denyo's findings to hold true even if you'd only sleep.

HI Denyo, I just realized that I only have tested this with the 4 pieces of crafted clothing. The regular cloth clothing must deteriorate faster. I tested the crafted clothing again after my last post and it seems that the crafted clothing still deteriorates at the same rate whether on the body while sleeping or in a container. I did however discover that the rabbit gloves may deteriorate faster than the other 4 articles of clothing. I slept for over a dozen days, wold skin coat on me didn't lose anything, gloves in the cupboard lost 2%, pants and boots lost 1%. It's confusing. I still don't know exactly how it works, but it does seem pretty trivial.

would it not be easier to extract the degradation values from the game files themselves? It might not be that easy, considering that the game uses some obscure file formats, but it is probably possible.

Easyer maybe yes...but then it would be no fun. :D Most fun is to discover something by ourselves,whether that is wrong or right. :)

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things the game does need to sort out better is the removing clothing options to do things. At least on stalker mode, you can go too far into a game and it becomes boring, as it can take weeks just to finish (assuming you play 8 hours a day) one run. It's hard to improve one's score or live longer when it's not feasible running more than a game every month or two.

Anyway, my point is that you can take cloths off before you fight a wolf to avoid durability loss that way, or run outside naked to forage sticks, and sleep naked. The running around naked it actually much easier than you would think, especially if you are careful where you hole up and make a base. The overall clothing mechanic actually makes it so crafting clothing is almost a waste at this point because degrading the crafted is almost as fast as loss from use for found clothing when you're frugal. There's plenty of cloth around the world with the resent patch, making the repair kits/fishing tackle the issue (25ish charges to make a new coat or 25 charges to repair your current coat). On top of that, if you don't explore everything at once you slowly find new hats to replace older ones etc., and avoid repair costs that way.

Long story short, the game is fun to start a new game and explore around and not worry about resources and just play that way, but if you want to play to live as long as you can there are a few mechanics which could really use tweaking. These type of things would probably be more of an issue if finishing a game competitively within a reasonable period was possible.

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, thank you all so much for all this excellent info! I was wondering why my gloves and hat were wearing out faster than a... well I was just wondering.

At least on stalker mode, you can go too far into a game and it becomes boring, as it can take weeks just to finish (assuming you play 8 hours a day) one run. It's hard to improve one's score or live longer when it's not feasible running more than a game every month or two.

^^^ venturing into OT mode, I would say a fast travel mechanism to already explored huts or waypoints would tighten those game runs up.

Hopefully in future we see better balance mechanics for clothing....

- Clothes not degrading whilst sleeping, or at least matching the "optimal" action the player could take, ie automatically taking them all off to sleep.

- The need for clothing being stressed a great deal more, as well as shoes. Ridiculous that it makes sense to run around naked as much as possible currently.

- Being attacked by an animal without clothing an almost guaranteed death wish. A couple of layers of clothing probably makes a big different when getting mauled by a wolf. A bear? Probably not so much...

• 3 months later...
Hopefully in future we see better balance mechanics for clothing....

- Clothes not degrading whilst sleeping, or at least matching the "optimal" action the player could take, ie automatically taking them all off to sleep.

- The need for clothing being stressed a great deal more, as well as shoes. Ridiculous that it makes sense to run around naked as much as possible currently.

- Being attacked by an animal without clothing an almost guaranteed death wish. A couple of layers of clothing probably makes a big different when getting mauled by a wolf. A bear? Probably not so much...

I'm glad this is not the case on all three points anymore. Sleeping naked is pointless now. The degradation of clothing is and was trivial anyway, especially now that cloth and sewing kits are in near endless supply.

Clothing is extremely important to survive the cold. It makes absolutely no sense to be naked anymore and warm clothing is one of the most important survival supplies as it should be.

A bear will not kill you whether you are naked or clothed. It will leave you bleeding at about 8% condition regardless of what you are wearing and only kill you if you don't get away fast enough before it comes back to finish you off (or if you are already really low on condition before he first attacks you).

With the new wolf fighting mechanic, it is easy to fend off wolves. I liked the old mechanic with the alternating right and left click, but it never was a death wish to get attacked naked. With the old mechanic, you could kill a wolf with a knife while it was attacking you. Now, you can only watch as it runs away then track it until it bleeds out or you shoot it or stab it again. You still can kill a wolf as it attacks you sometimes, but it already has to be injured either from a prior stabbing, arrow or gunshot. I miss the old mechanic greatly. It was tricky, but once you had it down, it was nice to not have to track a wolf anymore and instead have it die at your feet with well timed right and left click alternations. That skill was completely abandoned and replaced by an easy left click button mash. That is the only change that has been made to the game since I started playing that I think was a bad decision. It was made to make it easier for new players to defend against wolves. At the least, I think the old mechanic should be brought back to Stalker mode.

Archived