Pull that chair up to the fire, sit down, relax

TremorH

19 hours ago, ElvisHunter said:

A cat nap in my favorite chair leaves me feeling very refreshed and relaxed. There are also Monks in Tibet that sleep upright and their minds are presumable quite finely tuned. 

I'd be more specific and say sleeping in a chair for extended periods is not as comfortable as lying because your body loosens up during REM and you slouch or your head flops. It is better than no sleep at all though. Plus it has the potential to add depth to the gameplay. Deciding between a night in a snow shelter burning wood or inside in a chair with poor rest could make for interesting choices. 

Cat nap wont keep you going day after day, it merely gives you a short burst of energy that dissipates as fast. Monks can do a lot of things, without adverse effects, that would kill average pedestrian. But they train for it, both in body and mind, for whole their live, without vacations or breaks.

Sleeping in the chair or standing upright is better that no sleep at all, but its nowhere as effective as normal sleep position. And yeah, it could be an alternative for normal resting, not as good, but better than nothing.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Cat nap wont keep you going day after day, it merely gives you a short burst of energy that dissipates as fast. Monks can do a lot of things, without adverse effects, that would kill average pedestrian. But they train for it, both in body and mind, for whole their live, without vacations or breaks.

Sleeping in the chair or standing upright is better that no sleep at all, but its nowhere as effective as normal sleep position. And yeah, it could be an alternative for normal resting, not as good, but better than nothing.

I agree 100%. The monk comment (while they do exist) was more meant more jokingly than it came across I guess :durbear: But this game is about hard choices and I could see a less than optimal sleeping/napping mechanic adding depth to those choices. I won't be uninstalling if they fail to add this feature! 

What I want is not a duplicate 'click to black screen and wait for the bar to fill' item. The first person perspective/player should shift and actually sit or lie down on the sofa etc. Passive resting position with full camera control, maybe a slight debuff to weight/fatigue drain while at rest. As far as game mechanics go, it's a very minor one - but then I could use the furniture and pretend to be civilized. Oh, it would be grand, scrounge up some cutlery and eat at the table like it's not the apocalypse. When the NPCs come around, I could throw a dinner party. :silly:

• 1 month later...

Unless the game is changed to 3rd person, I don't know how being able to sit in a chair would be any different than standing in front of it and hitting the crouch/sneak key. Doing this changes the angle so it looks like you are sitting in the chair. Cooking, repairs and passing time can be done from this position, So effectively, you can already do what you are asking for.

@Lovehandel It would add to the atmospheric feel the long dark is going for, besides, as humans we want to customize our living space, it's natural. It would only make sense that in a survival situation like this, you would want your inside area to feel like as much of a home as you can make it.

17 hours ago, Vulp said:

@Lovehandel It would add to the atmospheric feel the long dark is going for, besides, as humans we want to customize our living space, it's natural. It would only make sense that in a survival situation like this, you would want your inside area to feel like as much of a home as you can make it.

I get that, but unless they changed the game to 3rd person, you will never see yourself sitting in the chair. Crouching near the chair has a similar effect.

I too would like to move stuff around but as I understand it, it can be very difficult to implement. In Morrowind you could move almost everything by clicking and dragging, but in the next two games in the series, the amount of items you could move and how it was moved was diminished/changed significantly because of the time and difficulty in making it work.(this was according to Bethesda when the complaints rolled in)

I am not taking a shot at the Hinterland team, I think they are awesome. But if this type of thing was difficult for Bethesda with the resources at their disposal it must be a really tall order for Hinterland.

Or, all of the above no longer applies because this is 15 or more years later and I don't know what I'm talking about. This would be my preference because I would love to be able to customize more.

As someone who has begun to learn coding, it shouldn't be that hard in theory. Just a perspective change and restrict movement, and the same item movement we have now. Really they have already done this coding. You can move any item in the game, why not apply that to furniture? And they added in a perspective change in when snow shelters were added. So it's really just copy pasting and adding slight modifications. And I think Bethesda had problems with it because they used a physics based movement system rather then the simpler Hinterland system.

EDIT: @Lovehandel

Archived