Pull that chair up to the fire, sit down, relax

TremorH

I'd really like to be able to move furniture and stuff around. Like this bench that keeps me from getting to the rifle shot:

bild.php?file=4874919screen_571bf479-5234-4265-93d9-8505c8080030.png

thumb_4874919screen_571bf479-5234-4265-93d9-8505c8080030.png

It would also be nice to sit down in front of the fire, like in the chair in front of the stove in the trappers cabin in ML.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd really like to be able to move furniture and stuff around. Like this bench that keeps me from getting to the rifle shot:

It would also be nice to sit down in front of the fire, like in the chair in front of the stove in the trappers cabin in ML.

Hmm... Nice Ideas. Though, my question is how would it be apporached by game design. There's a lot of work to just put an item into a world, let a lone move it around.

As for the sitting aspect: I'd like to see it as both a way to pass time, and reduce the cost of waiting out a bizzard, both rest and energy wise.

Hmm... Nice Ideas. Though, my question is how would it be apporached by game design. There's a lot of work to just put an item into a world, let a lone move it around.

As for the sitting aspect: I'd like to see it as both a way to pass time, and reduce the cost of waiting out a bizzard, both rest and energy wise.

I definitely would like to see a sitting or resting option. I dislike that I have to catnap to wait through storms, it feels really unrealistic, especially if I spend nineteen hours a day sleeping when I combine snoring through a long blizzard that runs into the night. I'm not sure if a game like this would benefit from a lot of furniture moving, maybe just small stuff like chairs, benches or small tables.

I would love to be able to rearrange the furniture (and to be able to drag corpses outside), but I think it would be hard to implement correctly and not really add all that much to the gameplay.

I would like to be able to rest by sitting in a chair or even on the ground, in stead of having to sleep to wait out a blizzard.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for sitting. On actual chairs. The armchair in the trappers homestead is the cosiest-looking place in the game :) Wonder whether an AI will be there in the story mode?

At the moment I resort to a kind of feral crouch in whatever spot seems the most natural. It's as though I feel hunted even in a relatively safe haven.

I am also in the pool for sitting. While LMB is good for breaking the chair, RMB can be to use it for its intended purpose. It could be a little fun, more realistic additive. If you choose Sit, you just sit in POV, look around, maybe get a slight fatigue buff while sitting. Sit + Wait makes a little time go by. Nap: self-explanatory, restorative, but less time-intensive than sleeping - make use of that furniture! (If you haven't yet burned it.)

• 1 month later...

I completely agree. You should be able to use it as a sleeping point. The effects would be reduced to half in terms of the warmth bonus and the fatigue reduction. You can also save from this point. Certain chairs and benches have different effects. Wooden benches would produce far less warmth and would do very little in terms of fatigue. Arm chairs would more capable at providing warmth.

- Grimsley99

I'd definitely be pleased by a "sit" feature that could be used to rest and pass the time without breaking out the bedroll. When I started playing, it took me quite a while to convince myself that all the chairs and tables and such really were just kindling that served no other purpose, and aesthetics didn't keep a guy warm at night.

As perhaps an extension of this, I really badly want the ability to "clean up" all those cabinet doors, dresser drawers, and other detritus lying around in houses. It drives me crazy that I'm living in a base, and I've got broken cabinet doors laying at crazy angles in the kitchen, and the drawers all over in bedrooms. It may seem silly, but this is absolutely something I would straighten up in a survival situation - recreating a sense of organization and normalcy is an important psychological factor in disaster recovery.

+1 for sitting and resting!

+1 for sitting in chairs and fast-forwarding time.

Bonus points for crafting or reading a book while sitting & passing time.

Actually this just gave me an idea. I think it'd be cool to have some crafting recipes be found only by finding and reading certain books (and then burning afterward--waste not want not =). Those recipes shouldn't be vital to survival but extra cool items.

+1 for sitting and resting

You should be allowed to sit any place you can walk in this game. While sitting, most tasks (e.g. repairing, crafting, cooking) would burn 20% few calories, since your legs wouldn't be using energy to stand up. And while you were sitting/laying down, you could nap to pass the time and refresh your fatigue meter (minimum "napping" session would be 5 minutes, maximum session would be 30 minutes).

Here's what I think the heat and resting bonus stats would be:

• Ground: -3.6 F (-2 C) Heat Bonus, 20% Rest Bonus*
  • Floor: -1.1 F (-0.6 C) Heat Bonus, 20% Rest Bonus*
  • Wooden Furniture (e.g. Benches, Stools, Chairs): +0 F (+0 C) Heat Bonus, 20% Rest Bonus*
  • Cushioned Chairs and Benches: +1.1 F (+0.6 C) Heat Bonus, 30% Rest Bonus*
  • Armchairs: +4.5 F (+2.5 C) Heat Bonus, 50% Rest Bonus*
  • Couches: +3.6 F (+2.5 C) Heat Bonus, 70% Rest Bonus*

*Rest Bonus is the amount of refreshment you would receive from sleeping in your bed roll or a bed.

• 1 month later...

Archived