...More Options With the Wildlife?

kaynesyduin

Just a few idea... [cons]

Maybe we can construct a kennel and train the wolves to either hunt with us or maybe even pull a dogsled that we crafted... [threat of wolves mauling you; dogsled wreck injuries and item loss].

A cage to breed small game [attracts predators].

Even more Widlife (though, I'm sure its planned).

More hunting supplies: deer calls, antlers, et cetera, et cetera...

I'd like at least 1 wolf cub to raise as a buddy and hunting partner. Get the cub while it's between 6-8 weeks old, not dependent on mothersmilk anymore but young enough to imprint yourself on it. Dont need a kennel, let him/her sleep under my bed to strengthen the bond. The more amount of time you spend with it training/bonding, the stronger your relationship gets and the better the wolf follows your commands. Could have a training option where you reinforce it's actions when they happen (like saying "good wolf"and giving a treat every time it does something you like, thereby reinforcing that behavior over time). And you can choose between positive (treat/play) or negative (pinch on the nose/yelling) reinforcement. The positive should wast outweigh the negative to keep a strong bond. It should be able to chatch a rabbit when it's about 4 months maybe?

I also like the idea of breeding small wildlife. Rabbits should be easy, they reproduce like rabbits..

Not sure about the wolf-sled team though. Remember reading in Helge Ingstad's book "The land of feast and famine" about his time as a trapper in Canada in the 1920s that one of his sleddogs left camp one night and bred with a wolf which produced a cub (I think there was only 1). He used that halv wolf/ half dog in the sled team and as far as I remember it was tought and strong but headstrong/difficult to get in line. Cant remember what happened to it, but anyways, 1 half dog/half wolf that grows up in a sled team can probably be used as a part of the team, but an entire sled team from wolves? No chance. It takes many years to build a dog sled team, even when you start out with dogs bred for it.

• 1 month later...
A cage to breed small game [attracts predators].

Why?

There's literally an unlimited supply of small game all over the maps and already a craftable, placeable item to harvest said. Better to ask that dead rabbits be carry-able in inventory.

What do you feed a caged rabbit? Leave them free-range and they find their own food...

I'm no expert on this, but I'm pretty sure it took many many generations of wolves interacting with humans before we had anything doglike. If you take a wolf pup and try to raise it, the time will come when it gives into its instincts and severely hurts/kills you. If a furry companion is what you want, maybe we could find dogs in an urban zone that are slightly feral (i.e. were strays before the disaster) which with a lot of work you could train.

I've seen the "training wolves" thing show up multiple times and I feel like it's a minor insult to our ancestors and the centuries of work they put into turning wolves into dogs. ;)

edit: I should add that I don't feel like TLD needs furry companions. Just adding my two cents on OP's idea!

I like the idea of a tamed wolf, but instead of him traveling with you, why not have him "live" in a specific area? When you first discover him he isn't hostile, but you have to feed him a few times he'll gradually warm up to you. He then stays in the same general area so you can go visit him. And if any hostile wolves enter the area, he'll protect you, creating a kind of safe spot.

For a back story, maybe he's only half wolf and was someone's pet at some point, but returned to the woods after the disaster.

Just an idea

Sam

Taming a wolf.. pretty dubious.. training a wolfsled team? plainly impossible. Even if it were a thing-- there's no real reason to move faster--you don't need to travel 60 miles in a day in this game. The cost in food for the team would not translate into a net benefit.

Anyway, these are not things that you would try to do in a survival situation, which is the focus of the game, imo.

I think it's far more plausible that we would find a dog that has somehow survived... perhaps trapped in structure.

I'm not really sold on the idea of a furry companion.. but I guess there would be the company, and perhaps the challenge of another mouth to feed.

Archived