More efficient to walk or run?

DrMembrane

Running burns calories and raises fatigue faster. Currently the settings don't penalize too heavily for constant marathon running, but that could change as the game approaches completion for release.

As well, depending on your mode, if your fatigue is climbing too high, you might want to switch to walking a bit if possible so that you have enough energy do do some emergency running if needed - if fatigue gets too high, you'll be down to a slow walk or crawl speed.

But yes, as mentioned by others, the marathon running isn't currently penalized in the current version [which is v.244 for PC or v.238 for Xbox as of this post].

Nothing but personal taste. Some people like walking around because it feels more immersive for them. Others (like me) prefer running because its advantages (higher mobility e.g. to dodge wolves, decreased risk to be surprised by blizzards) currently far outweight the disadvantages.

The slightly higher calorie cost of running really isn't an issue with all those easily killable bears around and fatigue is nothing you have to care about a lot either. As long as you watch the bar every now and then (and take a break if it rises too high) it's almost impossible to get exhausted accidentally.

2. Scyzara "easily killable bears?" That's a joke right?

Ehm no, actually not. They're way to easy to kill given their giant amount of meat. Just shoot them from within the farmstead's porch, any fishing hut or from above a high rock where they can't reach you.

One bullet or arrow, 30kg+ of meat (enough calories to last you at least 10-15 days), no risk at all.

If this isn't (ridiculously) easy killing, I don't know what is. ;)

The only attempt I've taken at shooting a bear was on the ice on ML. We were both standing still, gazing longingly into each others eyes, when I decided we weren't meant to be in a long term relationship together. I fired a round into his chest just below the jaw from straight on, i'd say 15 yards. He was on all fours at the time. Needless to say the one bullet did not kill him. He charged and mauled me. Brought to about 7%. Suddenly there was a blizzard and I ended up bleeding out with the outline of the camp office just beginning to show on the screen. Was this likely the random aim bug (I did not see any blood when i fired) or does it sometimes take more than one bullet to kill a bear?

Scyzara, I dunno what you mean, 1 bullet isn't even close to killing a bear, so enough of your condescension please, it's really rude.

I actually find it very rude of you to say I'm condescending just because I'm telling you about a secure way to hunt bears. I for one don't consider insults to be an appropriate reaction to a useful advice, do you?

It doesn't matter at all if you're able to one-shot a bear or not. If you shoot the bear while standing somewhere it cannot reach you (farmstead porch/fishing hut/rock) or close to a building you can escape into, it is an easy kill for one bullet or arrow because it bleeds out after you've hit it while you're waiting for it to drop dead in safety.

Whatever, I'm not going to respond here any longer as I've formed my opinion about you. Good old Matthew was just right about certain things.

Scyzara, I dunno what you mean, 1 bullet isn't even close to killing a bear, so enough of your condescension please, it's really rude.

DrMembrane,let me put myself in defence of Scyzara,as it was forgotten to explain more detailed about easy killing bears.Scyzara is right,bear can be killed with one bullet,even with one arrow.But,it is true,that bear very,VERY rarely drops dead right away,after he has been shooted.In most cases we must wait about two-three hours,that he bleeds out and drops dead.

If I speak for myself,I am killing bears with only one bullet for a long time already.I just stand on the porch of Pleasant Valley Farmstead and wait bear to come closer.Then I shoot him and turn fast towards door and enter house.There I wait or sleep for two hours,then i go out searching for dead bear.In other maps and locations I use different places and strategy,but everywhere bears can be killed with one bullet,or even single one arrow.

I just wanted to explain this,so there will be no hard words and attacking for no sense.You can check everything about hunting bears strategies in other topics or in some members YouTube videos.

Now this should be concluded and we can stop writting off topic,do you agree? :) This topic is about walking and running difference. ;)

Peace,love & respect.

I feel like walking is dangerous as takes ages to get anywhere and with the sudden weather changes can prove fatal (unless you know the area very well) so I prefer to run everywhere, this may change if/when the adjust the calorie burn.

I have killed a bear with a single bullet. I was in CH and on a porch where the bear couldn't get to me easliy. I shot him once and he ran off quickly. I checked for a blood trail (typically lost the trail) but found him dead the next morning while looking for the abandoned lookout.

I can't say with any certainty that an arrow would work but I guess if you get a good hit it may like it does with wolves. Although it should be removed it a single arrow does work as its not realistic in that sense

I like running most of the time except when i am climbing around high areas, that can be dangerous if you forget and run down a steep hill.

I also agree with the one shot bear kill, I have hit them at fairly close range in the chest and have had them go down twice now, but they were very lucky shots. Usually they just get mad and want to eat me, silly bears.

I find that walking is advantageous on Stalker. It is too easy to run into a lone or a pack while running. If you feel you are in a wolf free zone then I may go ahead and and run. Besides, I love looking at the scenery.

As an aside, game players are used to running. It is really quite a game play decision on the devs part. How many folks will be turned off by such a penalty. Running is pretty much an illusion like driving home over the speed limit to maybe get home 30 seconds earlier, heck might miss a commercial on the tele! If you are worried about cold or weather change, it is better to learn to stay out of the wind, hug the leeward side of rocks, trees edifices. On the highest level this will save you more warmth and clothing.

Personally I think running in snow should be penalized fairly heavily, especially with any kind of weight over 10 kilos

I very much disagree alvinius, the ability to run not only mirrors the overall sped-up time of the game, (quicker degradation, quicker time until night, super-metabolism, etc etc) and a game that focuses heavily on exploration would be made way more tediuous if you had to walk everywhere.

At this point it may be more of a play-style thing than anything else DrMembrane, and I am not one to want to really test and crunch numbers. In many games on Stalker clothing degredation can be a huge issue early on. I have certainly spawned with little and very poor quality clothing... all cotton, no hat, only running shoes maybe as little as 4 pieces??... and a very early mauling by a wolf and/or on a difficult spawn at night in a blizzard it is not too uncommon to have a set of 1 degree clothing by the time you get to your first protected base. I tend to try and conserve early clothing as much as possible.

well I would say it all depends on many factors. be it your wind is blowing shit loads of ice in your face full on, or maybe your trying to run up hill. the game logic seems to do that for me. Run if you can if can't slow down and walk. Simple. but yes it does seem to have a impact on overall status

I recently put 7-8 bullets into a bear and it ran off on the last one so I had to go looking for it and cart the meat, guts and hide a long way back to the farmhouse. A few days later I put ONE bullet into another bear and went to sleep and found him after a bit of looking. Same result with a difference of 6-7 bullets. Never again will I waste ammo like that. From now on it's one shot and done.

• 2 weeks later...

Bears are super intimidating at first and it is easy to see why beginner players find them difficult. Once the rules of the TLD universe are learned, bears are like cake. Light a campfire on their corpse and sing Happy Birthday. I'll link a video of a one-shot bear kill. You can come to my stream to watch me slay a bear. I do it daily and have over 30 bear hides carpeting the floor of the farmhouse on my current run.

Bears have a one-hit-kill hit box on their brain and their heart. One arrow or one bullet can and will take down a bear instantly if either one of these boxes is hit directly. It isn't easy though and I only get it about 1 out of 10 tries. Usually, I shoot a bear once in the head or once in the side, then I forage wood for a couple hours (in game time) while it bleeds out. Extremely simple when done from the farmhouse porch, a deer stand, behind a fence or atop a rock. Anywhere the bear cannot get you. Someday the AI of the bear may get smarter and he'll maul your ass on a deck or in a deer stand, but as of now, it's so easy it's a little sad. Even if a bear will be able to get to these off limit zones in the future, I don't know what will be stopping players from shooting a bear once and then going in a shelter and waiting for it to bleed out. It would be awesome if the bear could crash through the door and maul you in the living room.

The video below was the first insta bear kill I ever got. I've gotten a few since. This was even before I knew that bears couldn't get on decks and I was ready to bolt for the door and hide inside if he charged. lol. The first arrow I shot at the bear just misses it and goes over its back. The second arrow hit the bear's heart kill box through the top of its back.

[bBvideo 560,340:2d6zojac]

[/bBvideo]

Bears are super intimidating at first and it is easy to see why beginner players find them difficult. Once the rules of the TLD universe are learned, bears are like cake. Light a campfire on their corpse and sing Happy Birthday. I'll link a video of a one-shot bear kill. You can come to my stream to watch me slay a bear. I do it daily and have over 30 bear hides carpeting the floor of the farmhouse on my current run.

Bears have a one-hit-kill hit box on their brain and their heart. One arrow or one bullet can and will take down a bear instantly if either one of these boxes is hit directly. It isn't easy though and I only get it about 1 out of 10 tries. Usually, I shoot a bear once in the head or once in the side, then I forage wood for a couple hours (in game time) while it bleeds out. Extremely simple when done from the farmhouse porch, a deer stand, behind a fence or atop a rock. Anywhere the bear cannot get you. Someday the AI of the bear may get smarter and he'll maul your ass on a deck or in a deer stand, but as of now, it's so easy it's a little sad. Even if a bear will be able to get to these off limit zones in the future, I don't know what will be stopping players from shooting a bear once and then going in a shelter and waiting for it to bleed out. It would be awesome if the bear could crash through the door and maul you in the living room.

The video below was the first insta bear kill I ever got. I've gotten a few since. This was even before I knew that bears couldn't get on decks and I was ready to bolt for the door and hide inside if he charged. lol. The first arrow I shot at the bear just misses it and goes over its back. The second arrow hit the bear's heart kill box through the top of its back.

Easyest bear kill is with using campfire and is more than piece of cake. :lol: Maybe you want to check my video about that. :) Altough this AI will be soon fixed and it is right so,coz now to kill a bear is ridiculous easy,especially on stalker.

[bBvideo 560,340:2v48q95j]

[/bBvideo]

Archived