Kid wants to play

Hillbilly

But we only have the one computer

So if I create him a Steam account and I gift him a copy of the game from Steam, will he be able to play his game and I play mine from the same computer? Granted at different times though

Any input appreciated

Did not know what sub forum to post this question in, mods feel free to move it if its in the wrong forum

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went ahead and bought another copy of the game to support the devs

Gifted it to my son through Steam, he got the e-mail and accepted the gift, it does not show up in his inventory.. Thats a Steam issue, that was like 3 days ago and he still has not received the gift

So we tried the game share, he launched the game through his account and luckily I told him to click load, and he was at my place in the game, So i am assuming if we had of clicked sandbox it would have wiped out my progress.

Anyone with any knowledge of how to have two different games running from same computer I would appreciate the input you may have, my kid really wants to play

Hey, so as it is right now we only save to one folder even across multiple steam accounts on the same computer. A way to work around this is to manually grab your save001 folder and place it elsewhere (documents, or a folder on your desktop) You can swap between yours and your kids so you don't wipe each others saves.

The thing about moving the folder around like this though can cause some issues, such as corruption and/or loss of data. Also touching the save001 folder will cause you to lose the leaderboards for that save.

save001 folder can be found here:

C:\Users\(Computer Name)\AppData\LocalLow\Hinterland\The Long Dark

and here on MAC: Library\Caches\Hinterland\The Long Dark

Jeremy

We're also working on a multiple save solution for the future!

If you or your son had clicked on Sandbox, it would not have wiped your previous save until the new game reached a save point. So if it happens in the future, don't immediately assume your old save was wiped.

I'm actually not even sure having two copies of the game on separate Steam accounts would matter if you were both logged into the same user account on your PC (and it sounds like you are). Using different accounts on the OS itself would create different save options. Jeremy's solution is the best for now, but we'll keep working on something a little easier to use.

YES !!!!!!

Yes you can run two different games from same computer !!!

You HAVE to use an different user account for your OS as Bethany said

Kid now has a steam account, a user account on the computer and can play his own save games and I can play mine WITHOUT manipulating the SAVE 001 folder !!!!

Thanks Bethany !!!!

YES !!!!!!

Yes you can run two different games from same computer !!!

You HAVE to use an different user account for your OS as Bethany said

Kid now has a steam account, a user account on the computer and can play his own save games and I can play mine WITHOUT manipulating the SAVE 001 folder !!!!

Thanks Bethany !!!!

Wooo!

You're welcome. Glad we could all give you a little help.

Archived