TV - Alone - Survival In BC Canada Reality Show

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a good series. It was fun to think about what I would do differently, how i might cope in that situation and whether such imaginings would hold up in reality.

It is notable that few did any 'bushcraft' they just did the minimum, huddled under their tarps and tried to stave off insanity.

No one 'thrived' by any metric; as in discovering how to get abundant food or in any way be remotely 'comfortable'. The closest to having an overwinter strategy was Lucas. I was disappointed when he tapped out as it seemed to be for ephemeral reasons, and of those left he arguably had the least practical reason to tap.

I'm hoping (perhaps right before the 2nd season) that they do a reunion show - just all 10 sitting and talking together about the experience [and yes, even those that didn't last long, because I think they would have a lot to share about how expectations and reality really hit hard].

For the ending, I was impressed and loved the way it was handled... No huge audience and cannons going off with confetti, no hyped celebration... The ending was done beautifully with the winner getting a lot of the time reminiscing about how the challenge affected his outlook on life. It was also beautiful seeing him adjusting to being back in his regular life, and the quiet time with loved ones [again, no huge fanfare or pedestals] -- all so reflective.

I have to give props to all the contestants... it's a tougher challenge when there's nobody else around to count on, or to directly compete with... They pretty much were each competing with themselves, and for some it was quite a journey and experience.

Good Show.... bring on season two (and who knows, maybe TLD will even inspire to try out for season three when casting calls roll up) :)

I'm hoping (perhaps right before the 2nd season) that they do a reunion show - just all 10 sitting and talking together about the experience [and yes, even those that didn't last long, because I think they would have a lot to share about how expectations and reality really hit hard].

that's sort of already available under the "why they left" video section on history:

http://www.history.com/shows/alone/videos

They discuss together video by video why they left and what the experience ment for them, but the videos are short, all together might count as a whole show though.

I also liked the ending very much, the only thing that felt kinda out of place was when she handed him the envelope with the check inside, you could read on his face that this is the least thing he was thinking about. I kinda too hoped for an ultrasonic of a new baby as he thought.

But aside of that, his end speech was very inspiring, I just returned from a canoe trip and I was thinking about some of the stuff he said when we were camping, being free, having a simple life, what humans can achieve and how unimportant the little annoying things of daily life are. I really like his point of view and mindset.

that's sort of already available under the "why they left" video section on history:

Thanks ChillPlayer :)

Unfortunately in Canada the U.S. link just redirects to the Canadian version of the site which hasn't been updated yet with the episode you mentioned - looking forward to seeing it.

I did manage to find a short video (less than minute and a half) snippet of the first 6 discussing it... and yes that's exactly how I would love to see a full All-Ten get together talking about the experience. Even in that short clip, I loved how they expressed it was way more difficult than they had expected (and the wildlife dangers were real). :)

ADDENDUM: I also found this personal video from the competitor who lost his firestriker... Really glad he decided to release the video [he runs a bushcraft business, so I respect that he admits how a moment of inattentiveness can devastate you.

In the video, it's interesting to also hear that the production made sure supplies stuck to the rules [not even allowed to place items in a plastic bag or use tape because they might later be used as supplies].

I'll leave the video inside the "Spoiler" tab in case some users haven't watched the series yet:

[spoil][bBvideo 560,340:13xgkbyk]

[/bBvideo][/spoil]

In a number of articles and interviews, he has also said "Starting a fire with friction was impossible due to the wood in the area being soaked." I know a lot of people want "a simple bow drill" added to the guy in order to start fires easily -- which, having grown up in an area much like in the game simply never made sense to me because I remembered how hard it was IRL just trying to get the damp wood started (heck, even on "Survivor" amateurs have a hard enough time with it using dry wood in hot weather) :lol:

And, one of the most vital comments in the video [rarely discussed] was how what we saw was just a sliver of everything they faced... including exhaustion the first day spending 6 hours of slow moving through the area just trying to find a place to set up for the first night. Fast travel isn't even a consideration.

Unfortunately in Canada the U.S. link just redirects to the Canadian version of the site which hasn't been updated yet with the episode you mentioned - looking forward to seeing it.

try to configure one of the IP addresses in this list as your proxy in your browser (settings->network connections):

http://www.us-proxy.org/

This way you will access the site from the USA and should be able to watch the webclips, it's worth it. Curious that I can access them from Switzerland, I'm getting a "sorry, content not for your country" message though on the full clips.

try to configure one of the IP addresses in this list as your proxy in your browser (settings->network connections):

http://www.us-proxy.org/

This way you will access the site from the USA and should be able to watch the webclips, it's worth it. Curious that I can access them from Switzerland, I'm getting a "sorry, content not for your country" message though on the full clips.

Or do what I did, following Bethany's advise: use the hola plugin. Works like a charm for me. (Thanks again Bethany!)

Man, I really want to watch this show, but the site won't allow me to do so as I'm in Europe. If anyone has a link where I could watch it, that would be great.

You could try the Hola plugin. I mostly use it for Hulu (which is US-only), but it has worked on US and European network sites as well. It's free, so it might be worth a shot!

https://hola.org/

I still haven't had time to watch the last ep... Hopefully tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...