Shot my first deer

TarjaS

My gameplays are usually short and end very ugly, but here is what I consider the best one so far:

Finally managed to get both a rifle and ammo. Only five rounds, so I would have to be careful. I was at the trapper's cabin and the next mission was to figure out where it is located in relation to the other places. So far, I had only found it a couple of times by accident, after starting in the middle of a forest, and I wanted to know how to get there on my own.

So I went out, saw a deer, but it was too dark (early morning) to see it properly. Went after it, but it was gone. Back to the original task. Saw another deer between trees, or maybe it was the same one, but before I had time to do anything, it was taken down by two wolves.Tried to sneak away, but got attacked by a wolf. Survived that one, but only barely. After applying bandages, headed back to the cabin, hoping I'd last that long. Had a good view of yet another deer on the way back, fired my very first shot and it fell. Food!

Back to the cabin, health had dropped to 4% and I was sure I wouldn't make it. Still, made a fire, cooked food, melted snow and boiled water, ate and drank. That taken care of, some rest. After a few hours of rest, health was up to 40%, even without antibiotics, so immediate danger was gone. Went out to see, if I could get another deer. Found one, shot it and got the meat.

I would need to find antibiotics quick, so cooked and ate some of the venison and was just going to leave, when I noticed that the weather had suddenly changed into a blizzard. There was nothing to do but wait. While waiting, health started declining rapidly. Without antibiotics, the result was death due to infection. I still don't know how to get to the cabin from any of the other places.

My only regret is that I wasn't watchful enough to spot the wolf and shoot it before it had time to attack. I have shot a couple of them in later runs. As the first one was walking towards me at steady pace, I was thinking "this is just too easy" as I shot it dead.

Easy yes but those precious bullets are now gone... and the wolf only produces 1 piece of meat where the deer produce 2 and a needed piece of leather

I know, but it was him or me and I was also starving. Later killed a wolf that had just killed a deer - a package deal that lasted me quite a while.

Archived