How to play TLD on an underpowered Computer

Mrhappytech

Just thought I'd post this here as it may help, or be an option for those with a Computer (PC or Mac) that isn't quite up to the task of running TLD - to be able to play the game and in some cases even at ULTRA quality!

The way to do it of course is not to run the game locally but on your own AWS (Amazon Web Services) Cloud Gaming PC - and use your computer to view and control it.

Costs to run this type of thing range from about US$0.21 to US$1.06 per hour that the Virtual PC is running.

Why would you pay this by the hour you may ask? Well - I have a MacBook Air late 2011 model (i5 1.6Ghz,4GB Ram,HD3000 gfx).

It's a great mobile computer, but not so great for gaming - I tried to run TLD locally and it could *just* do it, but it sounded like a hairdryer the whole time and the whole laptop got *really* hot (nearly too hot to touch) and this was on the lowest quality and resolution - I know for a fact this is not good for it and I wouldn't like to put such stress on my poor little Mac for an extended period of time, so i needed to come up with a solution because I saw someone playing this great game on twitch and I wanted to play it too!

I followed the instructions (will post link below) on a page I discovered - and after experimenting with different remote control software I was able to have the game run at 60fps on ULTRA quality on the Virtual PC and stream it to my Mac with hardly any delay.

And more importantly - my Mac doesn't get hot or sound like a hairdryer because all the "work" is being done on the hardware running the Virtual PC.

The key component to getting this to work properly is using the right software to stream the VPC to your device and being technically minded enough to be able to set up and run your own AWS instance.

If you aren't familiar with hypervisors or how EC works on Amazon Web Services you may find this too difficult or quite a challenge - but it *is* possible - and is great if you're like me (quite technically capable) and you would rather pay a few dollars for each gaming session of TLD rather than pay lots of money to upgrade your device.

Here is the how-to link, make sure you follow each step carefully:

http://lg.io/2015/04/12/run-your-own-hi ... n-ec2.html

Also want to take this opportunity to say a big thank you to the creators of The Long Dark - this game is awesome and I love playing it!

I find myself telling my friends "I don't always have the time to play games these days, but when I do - I play The Long Dark!"

So if you have a half decent internet connection, an average PC or Mac and want to enjoy this amazing game but worry when you read the minimum requirements - don't despair, I'm sure this will become the preferred gaming setup in the future!

Archived