Please STOP CRAFTING

BRAINSTUDIO

Which brings me around to the crafting mechanic I proposed on a different thread, where we could find survival manuals which would explain how to craft these things.

That is exactly how I'd love to see crafting go. There could be several useful recipes for crafting that could only be made after finding information on how to make them. Then make the rarity of finding the books/manuals based on how useful they are, and even make it where finding manuals for all possible recipes in a single play through is impossible. This way each game the player has to adapt to different skills to help in surviving. That's how I'd love to see it at least.

On a different note, that bow is a pain in the ass to use, I fail with it, lol.

In the middle of the storm..eating crakers i was reading a book called " How to build your first Ak"

I think this is worst than add other things in the crafting list.

If the devs "supposed" that my character knows..ok i have to accept that he already knows because his life was..ecc ecc

But finding blueprint like RUST ..it brings the game..out of the way

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with OP. Please don't turn this game into Rust / Minecraft.

+1 Remove the bow.

I have built several bows and arrows myself with power tools available (hazelnut tree and steel tips). The thing was pretty accurate but nowhere near powerful enough to take down a deer or wolf. At best a squirrel or rabbit. Nearly useless in survival situation.

The bow screams of genericness. I guess a craftable crossbow would be more plausible for taking down medium game (scavanged steel leaf spring and steel cable). But IMO this would ruin the scarcity and value of the .308 ammo and the need to explore / scavenge.

Seriously. I cannot think of a more unrealistic survival situation. I can just see it now.

Brian from Gary Paulsen's hatchet survives in the wild because "luckily" a cargo plane carrying 4 tons of survival supplies just happened to go down right next to him, including a fully functional tent and three years worth of clothing, eliminating the need for him to build anything at all. What an exciting survival story.

Given enough time you can do anything, within reason. If "unrealistic" just increase crafting time until "realistic". Also, a spent casing and gunpowder does not make a cartridge. Where do you get the bullet from? Make it yourself? :roll:

Look, I'm repairing my knife from broken can openers.

Look, I'm repairing my knife from broken can openers.

So what is it that you are suggesting?

Nothing particular, I'm being contrary for contrariness's sake.

I missed that the thread was several pages long already, but realism doesn't seem to be the real concern anymore here with crafting.

Seriously. I cannot think of a more unrealistic survival situation. I can just see it now.

Brian from Gary Paulsen's hatchet survives in the wild because "luckily" a cargo plane carrying 4 tons of survival supplies just happened to go down right next to him, including a fully functional tent and three years worth of clothing, eliminating the need for him to build anything at all. What an exciting survival story.

In fairness, he had to survive up until that point, and only because it was summer and he had the hatchet to start with. Otherwise he'd have kicked off long before that point.

I missed that the thread was several pages long already, but realism doesn't seem to be the real concern anymore here with crafting.

What do you mean by realism in the context of a video game?

Well... If the maps in sandbox are supposed to be played one after another starting from a mystery lake, a good way to keep the bows would be include blueprints, longer you have survived and further you have progressed on maps=increased change of finding a blueprint that helps you in long term survival. On that point you would have already used most of the food left behind by humans. Other way of doing it would be to put all the crafting to workbenches, thus forcing you stay put when you craft and maybe run out of supplies every now and then, so you should have to prepare for that.

Well... If the maps in sandbox are supposed to be played one after another starting from a mystery lake, a good way to keep the bows would be include blueprints, longer you have survived and further you have progressed on maps=increased change of finding a blueprint that helps you in long term survival. On that point you would have already used most of the food left behind by humans. Other way of doing it would be to put all the crafting to workbenches, thus forcing you stay put when you craft and maybe run out of supplies every now and then, so you should have to prepare for that.

And by all crafting i mean also repairing any given gear, like clothes :P

What do you mean by realism in the context of a video game?

If i saw in a videogame , wind, temperature, calories, weight..i aspect that he wanna gives to me maximum realism is possible..

I need to craft a rudimentary lathe, so I can craft other stuff. Table legs, ornate designed clubs, pool cues....

Just kidding. I find the crafting quite balanced and simple. No knee deep list, just essentials that fit the survivalist game. Bow and arrows were something I was looking to make since I've yet to see a rifle this play through, and was happy to see it available.

I'll most likely be eaten alive before I manage to gather the resources, LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

That being said, I'm pro-crafting. In survival situations you can bet your butt I will be grabbing sticks to make spears and if you give me enough tools I will try to build myself a damned jet to get out of there (pls Devs... don't actually make this an option as hilarious as it would be). Whilst I agree with everyone else saying it's largely unrealistic to make a bow to use and most people would opt for a spear, I'm curious how many of you have attempted to spear rabbits or deer. We can't throw with enough force to penetrate a large animal from a reasonable distance that a deer would not have already high tailed it out of there, and no rabbit is going to get close enough for us to even be able to get near it with our poker, ASSUMING you know how to weight a spear. A bola is fine and dandy, but again, I don't see you taking down large game with it. Maybe a rabbit if you've got a good arm and an even better eye. So while a bow isn't necessarily realistic in terms of creation, I'll believe that I managed to make a bow that doesn't self destruct and can fletch my arrows well enough for them to fly before I'll accept that we can go all Hercules and javelin our prey to death.

Otherwise, I really see TLD as being one of the few games that can get away with an enormous crafting menu- much like a modded Skyrim, surviving harsh weather means you get the largest amount of things you're gonna wanna make. With enough deer hide or cloth in general, you're going to attempt to make a tent or some form of mobile shelter. If I've killed and skinned twelve wolves, I'm damn sure going to wear their skin and run around screaming at anymore I see because I'm that much of a weirdo. When you're trying to survive sub zero temperatures, everything and anything will suddenly have a use and things surprisingly don't take that much knowledge to create. Although I am still very dubious about amateurs repairing their .22 with some metal they tore off a lantern and some sticks they ripped off a tree, I would like to see TLD expand their crafting to stick with the realism.

References to players' personal characteristics have been removed from the discussion.

Please do not attempt to recreate that portion of the discussion in future posts, and remember to stay on topic.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Archived