Sharing Survival Stories on Social Media

• Hinterland

I'd like to be able to post some of your Survival Stories on social media (mainly our Facebook page). I think these stories are solid gold and will give other people a sense of what it's like to play the game.

If you are *not ok* with me sharing your story, please include a note at the top of your post: "PLEASE DO NOT SHARE". I will try to ask your permission before posting but if I see the note PLEASE DO NOT SHARE I will know not to ask. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Sorry Raph. I don't use social media. I have no interest in telling people I know about my daily activities such as going to the store, the way my foot feels or what videogames I play. I guess I'm old. /getoffmylawn

I am however directly responsible for buying the game for myself, gifting it to my cousin, and getting 5 other friends to buy it, so there's that.

• 4 months later...

Xbox One player - Gamertag: Arch3rAc3 - Just sharing my story of when I was forced to hunt a wolf and got killed by a bear. I think this gives some idea of how the game is. Feel free to share :D (not sure if I should post this here - oh and, sorry if there are any writing mistakes, english isn't my first language) (WAIT... When you said "survival stories" you meant on the game, right? Not in real life, right?... oh well)

Based on a true The Long Dark story.

It was dawn, I was starving at an abandoned farm house I found. Been awake for 2 hours before morning checking and rechecking the whole 2 stores building for any can of food, but there was nothing. The only company I had was the high pitched wind noise outside, hitting the house hardly, giving me an idea of how cold it was out there.

Looked at my body stats, calories going down under 150, I had to do something. Should I stay in and starve to death, or go out in the hope to find something edible and probably freeze to death? I preferred the latter, hoping the wind would give up sometime during the travel.

Grabbed a torch, lighted it up, and went outside towards the woods, trying to walk in a straight line so I could find my way back later, and hoping my torch wouldn't go out due to the wind. After walking for a few minutes through the forest, using any rock or tree in my way as a shield to protect me from the windchill, I've heard a wolf howling from behind. I was starving, but I had a hatchet. Didn't think twice, he might be a predator but he's also made of meat, and meat is edible. So instead of running away from the wolf, wasting my last bits of calories and using the trees as a concealment for him to lose sight of me, I decided to rush towards him. He did get the jump on me, causing multiple lacerations, bleeding and 50% chance of a bite infection, but I also managed to defend myself with the hatchet and cause him a deep bleeding. Had to wrap my cuts with the few bandages I had so I'd stop bleeding, and use the last bit of antiseptics I was still carrying to prevent an infection.

The wind was finally giving a break and I could see a dim light in the sky near the horizon which might have been the sun, it could barely illuminate the snow I was stepping on, but it was bright enough to allow me to see the wolf blood drops creating a path away from me.

Using my last resources, I tried following this path marked by red drops on the snow, in the hope to find some meat at the end of it. I succeed. There was a long gone predator laying dead. Using my hatchet I managed to get .5kg of meat from it, and rushed behind a tree I could use as cover from the calm wind for a campfire.

Managed to cook it and get about 500 to 700 calories, keeping me alive for one more day maybe. After getting the rest of the meat I rushed back to the farmhouse (not without having found me lost in the woods two times before finding my way back).

The next day I tried going back to where the wolf carcass was in the hope to get some hide to create new clothes and some guts to create a hunting bow. But I managed to lose myself in the woods one more time. Without success in finding the deceased wolf, I tried heading back. On my way back there was a nice cave with some firewood inside. Harvested it, but I've heard a beast roar from somewhere close, this was when I knew I 'screwed' up. It was a bear. I quickly rushed to my hand flares in the hope to scare him away but that seemed only to make him even more angry (and hungry). My skills in sprinting trough the woods doing sharp evasive maneuvers between the trees weren't able to stop the bear from catching me and practically eating me. Everything went dark and silent.

I've work up some unknown time later, bleeding, with my ski jacket teared. There was no wind, just a bright sun shooting it's light rays right over me. I managed to, limping, get away from the woods. But everything started to look so grim, until I suddenly stop moving. Had I finally faded into the long dark....

Thanks for sharing your story, Archer! Good read. Do you find yourself using the in-game journal on XBox?

Haha, thanks for reading. I thought it was just too long for people to actually care to read.

Yup. I been using the journal, but mostly to remind me what I'm supposed to do next in case I forget it, or when exploring an unknown area, so I can note my way back and not get lost.

I just wonder if the game continues running while I'm typing, because I think I can hear all the background/wind noises. And even though I use a USB keyboard to type, making things faster, I believe people using the controller would actually lose a lot of game time while doing this (assuming the game doesn't pause).

Thanks for replying :)

I just wonder if the game continues running while I'm typing, because I think I can hear all the background/wind noises. And even though I use a USB keyboard to type, making things faster, I believe people using the controller would actually lose a lot of game time while doing this (assuming the game doesn't pause).

Yes, the game does continue running while you're accessing the journal and log. Best to find a nice warm spot before drafting a longer entry =)

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't expect to be so close to death for so long. After the plane crashed, I wandered aimlessly trying to find any signs of a house or cabin. I was freezing to death and had to find something warm soon. The only thing I was able to find was a house that was ripped in half, but barely still standing. I was able to start a fire there, melt some snow for water and get some much needed sleep. I woke up and stumbled though the darkness trying to find a couple sticks to put in my fire. I slept for a few hours, but now I was hungry and completely out of food. It was hard to leave the half-burned down house because I knew I would quickly start freezing again. After climbing a few more hills, I tried to decide which direction looked the most promising. A few minutes later, I found a man that seemed to have frozen to death, but he had a bow right next to him with an arrow! I cheered with happiness and set off to find something to hunt. Sadly, I couldn't see any animals, but I desperately continued hunting.

I continued to wander aimlessly, minutes away from starving and freezing to death. Just when I was about to give up, I stumbled upon a large cabin. I stepped into the cabin, but it was to dark to anything. I lit 2 of my 5 precious matches while I was searching the cabin. I luckily found a lantern! I quickly turned it on and greedily ate anything I could get my hands on in the cabin. I drank some water, found a bed and went to sleep. I woke up the next morning, shocked to find that I had already eaten all of the food in the cabin. Not only that, but I was already starting to get hungry again. I left the cabin in search of more food. I found a derailed train and started searching for supplies when I heard a growl nearby. A wolf was charging at me! I used my bow and pulled back my only arrow and nailed it right in the head. I breathed a sigh of relief as it went down! I pulled out my arrow and started to skin the wolf. After I looted the train cart, I decided to head back to the cabin. I once again heard growling. I drew my bow as another wolf charged me. I luckily nailed this wolf in the head as well. I pulled out my arrow which looked like it would start to break soon. I quickly skinned this wolf as well. At least I wouldn't be hungry any time soon. By the time I was done skinning the wolf it was pitch black. Night had fallen and I could only see about 3 feet in front of my face because I didn't have any moonlight tonight. Luckily I still had my lantern which allowed me to see about 10 feet in front of my face instead. My only sense of direction was following the train tracks as I started to make my way back to the cabin. I eventually left the train tracks and was blindly wandering through the snow trying to make it back to the cabin.

I soon thought I had walked past the cabin and that I would be hopelessly lost, but that is when the cabin came into view. I breathed a sigh of relief, but my celebration was cut short as I heard another angry growl..... There was a wolf right in front of the cabin! I tried to dash past him, but I was moving pretty slow from carrying all of the other wolf meat and skins. The wolf jumped at me and knocked my lantern out of my hands. I furiously punched and kicked at the wolf as it was attacking me. I finally managed to kick him off. The wolf whimpered as it ran away. I tried to move, but I stayed still.... was I dead? a few seconds later I relived when my vision came back and I sluggishly tried to get to my feet. I looked around, but I couldn't see anything. I heard angry growls again, but fortunately the growls seem to be moving farther and farther away.

I desperately tried to look for any signs of the cabin. I knew I was super close to it! It should be right in front of me! My lantern was knocked out of my hands and now I couldn't find it either! After thinking that I might die just feet from my cabin, I recalled that I still had 3 matches. I lit one of my precious matches and realized the cabin was literally 2 feet away from me. I rushed inside and bandaged my wounds. I tiredly cooked some wolf meat food and went straight to sleep. What an exhausting day! The next morning I cautiously went outside to grab my lantern and then quickly came back inside. I realized the wolf had torn most of my clothing in our fight and some of it was beyond repair. I repaired my ski jacket and hat, but I had a sinking feeling when I realized that I would not have pants, shoes, socks or a scarf. I might have a lot of wolf meat to cook now, but I would be in serious danger of freezing to death if I ever went outside again. I would have to plan my next move very carefully.

To be continued.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

My survival stories will all be posted at my The Long Dark Survivors Blog: The Long Dark: Survivors

I chose to set up a blog because making the LP Videos took up too much time and space especially Ava's. So I'm letting my novelist/screenwriting background fuel my survival posts. Rotating survivors will keep things relatively fresh, especially since sometimes they end in a hurry! I will be adding a link to my founding survivor, Ava's, 100 you tube episodes eventually to the blog. Feel free to share anything you would like from the blog it's there to get the word out as it is.

Thanks for a great game!

Archived