On hibernation and possible remedies

Hotzn

It must be Canadian summer if there are 14-15 hour long days

It's not summer in the game, it's winter. The length of day/night cycles were reversed because during the first game tests, it meant players spend most of the game outside at night, and there wasn't enough daylight hours to complete many tasks. So, strictly for gameplay purposes, the day/night cycles were close to reversed.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So just looking at where I'm at with my current game now, I'm on day 100 in stalker, just onto my second map, and I have a whopping 53kg of food available. It's a stable supply and all in good condition (>48%) except for the magical peaches that I seem to prefer collecting to eating.

In the last fortnight I've averaged just under 4km of walking per day (excluding night time), with two low-activity days for healing, crafting and repairing. This is probably in line with what I've been doing for the whole game (can post log somewhere if anyone's interested). I have 90 cured guts stashed away over the map, and who knows how many scattered across the floor. 19 cloths. 12 scrap. 3 bedrolls. There are 14 bullets left; I haven't started on the arrows yet but have 15 arrow shafts and four bows.

In terms of gameplay, I'd describe myself as a semi-nomadic hoarder. Definitely not a hibernator. I don't have a main base, but I know the maps so well that I hardly ever end up sleeping under the stars. I'm usually mildly encumbered because I don't step outside without one of each tool, a bedroll (cloth), some tins, some spare lantern fuel, 1.5kg of water and cups of medicine, tea and coffee. I get maybe 8 hours of mild weather per day, which is enough to prevent frustration. I probably use up 3,500 calories per day too, and it does seem silly.

Whenever I leave the door, I typically accumulate food without even having to look for it. I'll dump food in the nearest habitable place and remember to come back for it later. I just wish there was less food around so that I would actually have to put some effort into it. At the moment I can see why people are tempted to stay indoors for a few days until they've eaten food up, because if you go out with well-stocked cupboards and keep on accumulating then there's actually substantially less challenge for you, because there's zero risk of starvation.

At the moment I can see why people are tempted to stay indoors for a few days until they've eaten food up, because if you go out with well-stocked cupboards and keep on accumulating then there's actually substantially less challenge for you, because there's zero risk of starvation.

This. And there's nothing to pass the time with indoors :? I mean like a Rubik's cube not resting.

That's what is missing currently. Book reading. Learning of how to do certain things, improve your physical stamina and endurance while inside for longer periods of time during bad weather. Or maybe we could improve the campsites/buildings to give better warmth bonuses, clean the chimneys etc.

There's loads of stuff to do in a building while you wait for the weather to clear besides sleeping.

Books sound like a neat idea. And if that's not possible, there should be at least wait button. It would work pretty much like sleeping, but if sleeping was limited to, let's say, 12 hours a day, it would be great to have an option to just "fast forward" a few hours. (Calorie consumption would the same as when you just sit around doing nothing, or just afk [away from keyboard]).

• 1 year later...

Just to bring this thread up-to-date; the Cabin Fever Affliction is intended to address the hibernation exploit.

I'm not aware of a solution to address the Starvation exploit although the Morale feature is something discussed here and is, I believe, something that we can imminently expect to see. I would hazard to guess that this forthcoming release will add it.

I would like to see something done; starvation is something one tends to do in the real world with a gradual loss of body fat, ketosis from body wasting and loss of muscle mass, and vastly decreased stamina and strength. I would suggest that a starvation affliction could address this concern. Currently, on Interloper, starvation seems to be an accepted and required strategy for survival. Without starvation, Interloper could be a death sentence.

There seem to be some fairly long term runs going on Interloper. It will be interesting to see how this evolves with worsening weather conditions on Interloper. I'll open a separate discussion for clothing strategy as I don't seem to find one here on this forum.

Archived