Out of the Wild: The Alaska Experiment

I have the first season on DVD because I was tempted by the cover, turns out it's just a cheap reality TV format, heavily if not completely scripted and way too much forced drama. We stopped watching after 4-5 episodes.

Much more real but still "produced" is Ultimate Survival Alaska, at least I can take the attendants serious in that show. Turned for the worse in season 3 but still enjoyable.

If you are looking for a show with ties to TLD (or rather the other way around), you really should have a look on Les Stroud Survivor Man. In one of the episodes of season 1 he simulates a plain crash in the woods of northern Canada, with nothing else but a single match - sounds familiar? :D

I'm not sure anyone remembers this goof ass show called 'Siberia', it was so stupid you might just want to watch it. It was a non-reality show reality show if that makes any sense. Like quite literally the whole show is scripted, and has a plot, etc... And it's where these people go out and live in Siberia for a few months to win some goofy prize or something. Anyway, if you ever find it On Demand or on Netflix or whatever you should watch it just to see how bad it is, you might just get a laugh! :lol:

Sorry I have to reply again lol, I actually enjoyed Siberia very much, I never watched it though as a reality-ish show but as a horror/thriller piece, which they quite well accomplished todo. I can't even say what it is in particular I like on the show, I watch tons of different shows and usually I know why I like a show or why not. With Siberia I don't know exactly why but somehow it made me not laugh about it but play along and enjoy the ride. I think it's the same what gets me going when I watch Paranormal Activity: the in-between-horror scenes are very well written and acted out, you really think those are just a bunch of guys on a bad reality tv show. The horror is subtle but constantly present, I watched like 5 episodes in a row and then couldn't wait until the next came out. And the cliff hanger at the end of the season, man that was awesome.

But I think the show got cancled which saddens me, for one because of that darn cliff hanger but also because it was an unusual show that worked well, at least for me. And there are only a handful around where I feel an addiction like I felt on the short season of Siberia.

Sorry I have to reply again lol, I actually enjoyed Siberia very much, I never watched it though as a reality-ish show but as a horror/thriller piece, which they quite well accomplished todo. I can't even say what it is in particular I like on the show, I watch tons of different shows and usually I know why I like a show or why not. With Siberia I don't know exactly why but somehow it made me not laugh about it but play along and enjoy the ride. I think it's the same what gets me going when I watch Paranormal Activity: the in-between-horror scenes are very well written and acted out, you really think those are just a bunch of guys on a bad reality tv show. The horror is subtle but constantly present, I watched like 5 episodes in a row and then couldn't wait until the next came out. And the cliff hanger at the end of the season, man that was awesome.

But I think the show got cancled which saddens me, for one because of that darn cliff hanger but also because it was an unusual show that worked well, at least for me. And there are only a handful around where I feel an addiction like I felt on the short season of Siberia.

Heh, I guess some people watch shows differently, but we still poke fun at it even after like two years xD. I mean we watched the first episode and it wasn't 'that' bad, so we watched another and then we could just see the cliches coming a mile away. I mean the shark was yelling 'Jump damn you! Jump!' by the end for us. Like they just find these random pieces of evidence while wandering through the forest, and how everyone is all whiny expect maybe that bald guy who wore the same leather jacket for like two months. I just can't really believe it when I read the IMDb reviews of it and seeing some people compare it to LOST, riiiiiight. Not to mention that shaky cam, which is probably the worst thing you can ever, ever do. I mean I think that if this were a comedy, that it would be amazing. But instead they actually try to make it serious, make you scared, which you just can't. So instead of laughing with it, like what it should have been, you laugh at it. The characters were walking cliches, the big tough bouncer guy, the nerdy awkward guy with the glasses, the devious hot chick, I mean the list goes on. It's like by the time stuff actually started happening, I kept asking myself 'What the *%#! is wrong with these people?". Like you said, I was a little saddened it ended to, but I think it's for different reasons xD. Personally we enjoyed hate watching it and making fun of the characters. And like I said, if they made it so it was like a mockumentary, making fun of reality shows, or just for plain laughs at how dumb it is, it would have been 10/10. But they HAD to take it serious, oh well. Maybe after watching something as goofy as Cloverfield I never became scared of the 'shaky cam found footage horror films' again, but that's just me. Anyway, I aint' losing sleep because of it being over though :lol: .

On a little bit of a side note, I wonder if anyone actually took it seriously? You know, like that Mermaid mockumentary which made fun of Animal Planet, or War of the Worlds, where everybody thought it was real and started freaking out xD. I could just imagine something as stupid as that happening with Siberia.

Yes season 1 wasnt that good because they were stationary. But in season 2 it was much better because they go from the insertion point to the extraction point at a railway track. That kind of survival suited the set much better. And it was by no means any easy walk and many had to quit. Only the most stubberned would reach the railway track. But the best thing is there was no price to win, and there was no competition. Just pure survival.

Yes i have watched the Siberia show, only watched one episode and when i learned it was just a show, then i couldnt take it serious anymore and stopped watching it.

Yes season 1 wasnt that good because they were stationary. But in season 2 it was much better because they go from the insertion point to the extraction point at a railway track. That kind of survival suited the set much better. And it was by no means any easy walk and many had to quit. Only the most stubberned would reach the railway track. But the best thing is there was no price to win, and there was no competition. Just pure survival.

Yes i have watched the Siberia show, only watched one episode and when i learned it was just a show, then i couldnt take it serious anymore and stopped watching it.

If you watch it again and treat it like a comedy I think you'll like it. ;)

Archived