Thought it was a game bug...

rat_whiskers

The Coastal Highway's been my main base point for this Voyager run, going 40+ days now. Gotten into a good rhythm of fishing/snaring/gathering firewood, and occasionally chase a deer into a wolf for the big bonus. Started heading back to my base house on the lake side of Coastal Townsite. Condition was already down in the 60s because I'd just had a wolf run-in the day before. Walk around the big stone and BAM, walked right into a wolf. I mean literally I was bowling him over.

Went into attack mode and got him to run. I had a bandage but I knew it was my last bandage and I didn't know where to get more, so I just used antiseptic and took pain pills, and went after the wolf I just stabbed. I looked around on the ground to find a blood trail and at first I couldn't find one. Then after I spun around a few times I finally spotted some blood on the ground. Tried following the trail, and it disappeared. Turned around again and there it was. Started walking backwards and the blood trail would appear, but when I tried to walk forward it would disappear. "That's crazy, I'll have to report that as a bug," I thought.

So I "follow" the "trail of blood" haphazardly through Coastal Townsite, until I run into the wolf I attacked, and I was surprised to see that he hadn't bled out! I had to whip the rifle out, fire off a round, and then stab him several times before he died. I got the meat harvested, and all of a sudden I'm down to 9% and heartbeat going. "Ok I have to use that bandage now, I'm going to die," I said, and I did. I made it back to my base house with the wolf meat and rested up for three or four hours just enough so my condition came back up above 9%. Then I stepped outside to go finish getting the gut and hide from the wolf.

And there on the ground was a blood trail leading me right to the wolf. "Wow," I thought to myself. "This is some crazy kind of bug! First I couldn't follow the wolf's blood trail unless I walked backwards, and now it's appearing out of nowhere leading me right to it, but the thing's already dead! It took me down to 9% in the process too, I nearly bled o..."

And it took that long to realize that it wasn't a bug, it was me bleeding out and thinking my blood was the wolf blood.

Sooooo yeah! That was a fun lesson to learn. Oh and I did figure out I can harvest cloth to make bandages, so I'll try not to bleed out like an idiot moving forward.

Archived