Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I was born in 1979 so while I enjoyed Star Wars as a kid I was a little on the young side when the original trilogy was in its prime and as a result I missed out on the initial hysteria surrounding the franchise. Growing up dirt poor in a tiny town of 700 people miles away from the closest movie theater was probably a factor as well. I liked Star Wars as a kid... I just didn't know it as intimately as the kids 5-6 years older than me. I just missed the boat.

Now that I'm older and have been properly exposed to the entire Star Wars universe I love it. Yes, the prequels have issues. Yes, some of the Lucas edits to the original trilogy are annoying. Despite those two facts I really enjoy the material. A few years ago I finally bought all six movies and binge watched them over a single weekend in machete order. Maybe it was watching them as a father (who had just started rediscovering the joy of the small things in life through the eyes of my children) - maybe it was the fact I watched them all together - or maybe it was the persistent beer buzz I used to supplement the material... whatever it was I loved it!

With all that in mind I am really looking forward to the new Force Awakens installment of this franchise. Anyone else excited? Haters keep walkin! 8-)

I'm definitely looking forward to it!

I was curious as to how I might feel seeing some of the original characters a bit older, but it looks like it'll be handled well. I loved the new Star Trek movies as well, so I lean more on the side of trusting that JJ Abrams knows what he's doing with this.

I'm trying to keep my expectations low, but that doesn't stop the excitement!

• 4 weeks later...

I grew up with the originals and really liked them, the prequels on the other hand.. The first was ok and I liked it but the following two really were bad and it was all I could do to get through watching them. I have high hopes that JJ can turn it around and gets things back on track with the original movies.

I also really liked the Trek versions JJ did and think it is a really great way to reboot the franchise. He also did a wonderful job with the tech and look of the ships as they look real now and I look forward to any series that might be spawned from this new take on the trek universe..

• 10 months later...

Archived